Polk LSIM 703 tweeter replacement

So recently ive noticed one of my speakers is distorting a bit from one of the tweeters. The other speaker sounds just fine. I called polk to order a new one, unfortunately they no longer make this tweeter anymore and i cant seem to find it in stock anywhere. Are there any suitible alternatives out there or direct replacements that would work?
System 1
Pioneer Elite SP-99D
Yamaha MX-2
Klipsch RF-83

System 2
Creative Labs G6 DAC
Onkyo 9110
Polk LSIM 703

System 3
Onkyo Integra TX-88
Parts Express BR-1

Answers

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,468
    edited February 2022
    Unfortunately the best thing to do may be to find another speaker from the LSiM range and cannibalize it. When their tweeters were available as replacements they were selling for more than $120 a piece and I'm not aware of another source now. The Legend and Reserve lines use a different ring radiator tweeter that is a lot different from the previous LSiM line.
  • duca1100
    duca1100 Posts: 3
    edited February 2022
    Thats a bit of shame. Ive only had them for 2 years.. Figured there was at least something on parts express that might work? Even if the new ring radiator is different. Are we saying it wont work or wont fit? Im not opposed to modifications at this point.
    Post edited by duca1100 on
    System 1
    Pioneer Elite SP-99D
    Yamaha MX-2
    Klipsch RF-83

System 2
    Creative Labs G6 DAC
    Onkyo 9110
    Polk LSIM 703

System 3
    Onkyo Integra TX-88
    Parts Express BR-1
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    Did you buy them new from an authorized dealer? If so demand a replacement from Polk. The warranty is 5 years and they will replace them with a comparable speaker from the Legend line if you demand to speak to the higher echelon of Polk customer service. Otherwise keep an eye open for a damaged speaker and harvest the tweeter. I just went through this with my LSIM 707’s
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Usually parts and drivers are kept in stock for warranty and outright purchase, for at least a few to several years, before they are liquidated as a closeout.
  • stangman67
    Usually they are. In this case Polk dropped the ball and has no drivers left to honor the warranty claims for the next few years

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,898
    Did you swap the L to R and R to L speaker cables to make sure it's the tweeter and not an equipment problem?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Digital cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2 bnc, Tellurium Q aes, Silnote Audio Poseidon Signature 2 bnc
    Puritan PSM156
  • Sure did. Swapped left to right and the static definitely follows the tweeter.

Purchased from Adorama brand new. I believe they are authorized dealer.

I've reached out to Polk CS. Kind of surprising there's no real solution for this.
    System 1
    Pioneer Elite SP-99D
    Yamaha MX-2
    Klipsch RF-83

System 2
    Creative Labs G6 DAC
    Onkyo 9110
    Polk LSIM 703

System 3
    Onkyo Integra TX-88
    Parts Express BR-1
  • stangman67
    edited February 2022
    Adorama is an authorized dealer. There is a solution, call polk and demand they honor the warranty, you will be transferred to the second tier sipport in CA and they will legit send you a set of Legend speakers to replace the 703's. May not be the ideal solution but it is the best solution you are going to get.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    What’s wrong with having a set of Legends to replace the 703’s?
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,786
    I just checked my parts closet and Don't have the tweeter.
    If it's NOT the tweeter post back as I may have the part...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears