What do you guys think of the new Supra?

Options

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,670
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I'm 6'1" with a long torso so it's unfortunate for me I don't fit in the Supra well. So I've got my eye on either a 2022 Golf R or 2022 BMW M240i later this year.

I understand. I had a 2018 Golf R for a short time. I enjoyed that car but the performance was not in the same class as the Supra. The AWD was nice.

I had my eye on a M2 but it was used and had 8k miles. I really like to buy new. I wasn’t happy with the M240i. My understanding is that BMW will start to produce the M2 again later this year.

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    One of the fastest cars I've had the pleasure of being in the seat harness, was a boosted Inline-6 Supra.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    @tratliff.
    Very nice man! Hope you have lots of fun with the Supra. I was a huge fan of the Saleen Stangs and Supra’s from the mid 90s. Was pretty die hard back then with the 94 Twin Turbo Supra I had. Upgraded many things including using Greddy, ice man intakes, electronic turbo boosters, blow off valves, etc.

I am not much into this category of vehicles anymore, but wow. Nice and looks fun man!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I am totally a Toyota guy. But still the most bang for the buck is the Corvette. The new mid engine for 60K is Da Bomb! I saw two new ones with race tires do laps at Road America when they first introduced the new car and they were very impressive! Good luck with your new car. Definitely a head turner! Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • tratliff
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Not seen any C8’s for $60.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    edited February 2022
    Options
    The new Toyota GR86 is pretty cool too, kinda like a baby Supra but with a Subaru boxer engine:
    E9KMci2VgA4itl7.jpg
    brv0n5tljyno.png
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    The new Toyota GR86 is pretty cool too, kinda like a baby Supra but with a Subaru boxer engine:
    E9KMci2VgA4itl7.jpg
    brv0n5tljyno.png

they took an already good package and fixed the glaring issues it had. God forbid if something happened to my Mustang and I was gonna go new performance car I would pull the trigger on this and call it a day.

It's basically a modern day Porsche 944........that is NOT a bad thing.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    Options
    While I think the Supra is overpriced for what it is and think basically any vette is a better bang for buck, I see them on occasion at various autocross events and DAMN if they don't look impressive out there doing their thing.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,523
    Options
  • ohskigod
    Options
    and don't forget that 400Z about to hit the streets. If that brings the business in the pricepoint they say it will be at......the Supra should be worried.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2022
    Options
    That 400Z may or may not stay together long enough to hit the street.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • ohskigod
    Options
    That 400Z may or may not stay together long enough to hit the street.

you think reliability will be that bad? I mean it's Nissan, which tell me reliability will be at worst slightly below average for performance cars at worst......unless I am missing something?

far as I know this is a reskinned 370 (granted with a vastly updated drivetrain)
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,374
    Options
    The 400Z has a manual transmission option, which is likely to be important for this type of model even if automatics are quicker to shift these days.

It looks like Nissan is making a comeback of sorts now they're ditching the CVT transmissions for some models.
  • tratliff
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I agree the 400Z might be a great option for the segment. I thought about waiting but then realized I would have a difficult time purchasing a Nissan. And also am not a fan of first year productions.

The biggest thing that brought me to the Supra was the fact that Toyota would support it. And that's another reason it won out over the M2.

And I did briefly consider a vette but although everyone wants to compare the two vehicles you can't touch one even close to the same price.
    Post edited by tratliff on
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    2022 Corvette starting MSRP is $62K. Corvette forums are listing dealerships in almost every state that are selling at MSRP. g6f1skgarcjj.png

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/corvette
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,523
    Options
    That^^^is a real cool blue.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    @tratliff how you liking the Supra?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    I personally like the new Z better - it’s not as overstyled, has more power and comes in a manual
  • tratliff
    Options

Clipdat wrote: »
    @tratliff how you liking the Supra?

The Supra is a great car. Exactly what I expected.
  • tratliff
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I personally like the new Z better - it’s not as overstyled, has more power and comes in a manual

Everyone talks about wanting a manual. I’m glad one wasn’t offered after putting a couple of thousand miles on the car. The automatic in the car is fantastic.

I’ve seen a couple of reviews on the Z. Although it had more power the Supra took it pretty good in the 1/4. Only time will tell. I would expect them to run rather close.

But the one main thing. And I have said it before - the Supra is a Toyota. I wouldn’t have spent my money on a Nissan. Let alone a first year production.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,374
    Options
    I've been watching the numerous Youtube reviews of the press launch of the "new" Z. Can't say I'm all that impressed with it. It's an old platform, an old engine, and has a tiny interior space but still weighs a lot because of the old platform. The double wishbone front suspension and lots of potential tuning options seems good though. I thought Nissan would do more with it but they were obviously cutting costs. People who want one will probably still end up paying $10K over sticker with dealer markups when they go pick one out alongside the econobox Sentras and Versas!

The Supra seems at least a couple steps above the Z for not that much more money. The Z is kind of in between a Supra and GR86 but even then the GR86 is less money and seems to have more going for it as a fun entry level sports car.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    Drove alongside one of these today and thought it needs a 1uzfe.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    I wish I still had my 72 240Z
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    The Supra is also much nicer on the inside. If they just made that thing in a manual and maybe less busy styling in the outside it would be a no brainer
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Also, we’ve owned multiple 4Runners and a now a Lexus GX460 and we’ve had nothing but excellent luck with Toyotas, hundreds of thousand of miles without a single non maintenance repair is kinda absurd. As much as I would love a nicer interior and fancy tech in a Merc this stupid Lexus IS bullet proof so I can’t part with it.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Just Googled the new Supra, and for me, it is expensive and ugly. Then again at this point of life, I consider any car to be a waste of money. Now some $100K speakers is another story.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tratliff
    edited May 2022
    Options
    The Supra is also much nicer on the inside. If they just made that thing in a manual and maybe less busy styling in the outside it would be a no brainer

In 2023 they will be offering a manual.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    That new manual Supra looks great, only in the 6 which is fine by me anyone wanting a manual will likely want the better engine.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,606
    Options
    That new manual Supra looks great, only in the 6 which is fine by me anyone wanting a manual will likely want the better engine.

Well YEA who wants to bang a 4 banger :D
  • tratliff
    edited May 2022
    Options

I agree. Its a good move by Toyota. Not that I would want one but it will make a lot of people in the segment happy.