What do you guys think of the new Supra?

Options
tratliff
tratliff Posts: 1,670
edited February 2022 in The Clubhouse
Well I decided to pick up a 2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium. They seem to have a cult following and the new mk5 is very controversial. It is a joint venture with BMW and the Supra diehards don't like that fact.

I was also considering the BMW M2 but decided on the Supra based on past experience with Toyota. I have owned a number of Toyotas over the years and feel very comfortable with how they age and how Toyota takes care of warranty items.

It's a blast to drive, I was concerned that not having the ability to have a manual trans might be a drawback but that was soon overcome after putting some miles on it. As part of the package I get a membership to nasa (National Auto Sport Association). That includes a track day with instructor led road track activities. I am excited to be able to participant in that. I'll get some details out after I attend on 3/6.

Here is a picture of it on the day I picked it up.

7fci617564ot.jpeg
2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,162
    Options
    The styling is far to busy and cluttered for my taste. There is no continuity or flow to it in any way. I respect the performance of the car, but not my cup of tea.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,396
    Options
    I like the Supra a lot. I don't agree with those who say it's just a BMW. It has an excellent BMW powertrain but Toyota had a big say in the development of the car as a whole with BMW. Both are made at the Magna Steyr plant in Austria and Toyota keeps making improvements to the Supra with each model year. Only thing that would give me second thoughts about owning a Supra is whether a dealership has techs well qualified to work on the powertrain and can get parts. I would probably take one to a BMW dealership for routine maintenance.

I still kick myself for not buying a turbo Supra when I had the chance back in the '90s. I made the practical choice and got a Maxima instead.

Congrats, and have fun!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,529
    Options
    I thought it came off poorly in photos but after seeing a few up close it is really attractive. My taste may be a little out there; I had a SAAB 99 for close to 30 years.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,105
    Options
    A buddy of mine was drafted in the first round of the MLB draft out of high school and a Toyota Supra was his first car. We all grew up middle class (at best) in a small town, so that car was the bomb.

I think yours looks great Todd. Congrats!
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Congrats on the new ride :) I bet it's a trip drive B)

What it's got for music?
  • tratliff
    edited February 2022
    Options
    What it's got for music?

The sound system sounds better on paper than it actually does. I am looking at doing a custom install. In fact this is what caused me to ask some questions to the group in the thread below a couple of weeks ago.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195775/auto-class-d

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,497
    Options
    Nice car. Congrats. I would probably get a ticket in that :# Enjoy your new ride
    Randy/Maine
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,646
    Options
    Congrats on the new ride! These look way better in person than they do in photos.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,921
    Options
    Congrats nice looking car.

Have you ever done track days? If you haven't watch out, it might eat up your audio money as it's a lot of fun.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,138
    Options
    Reminds me of speed racer, nice looking car though!

j0jxs535sm1c.jpeg

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,964
    Options
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I like it too.

I'd drive it with pride and a smile on my face. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,651
    Options
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I've driven 2 sports cars for a few minutes each and LOVED them both. This BMW Z3 looks very similar to what I drove. I felt like a rich guy BUT, it was the way I felt perfect in the driver's seat. The way it drove, rode and ease of using the shifter too that WAS a rich feeling.
    1jup4ysmadfc.png

The other was a Toyota Cilica. Same feelings. PERFECT fit for me.
    s66boeamdmha.png

I can imagine the blend of both Car makers that I would love that Toyota Supra just as well. <3

But I just researched the price... :o

I'm glad you could get one. ;)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tratliff
    edited February 2022
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Reminds me of speed racer, nice looking car though!

j0jxs535sm1c.jpeg

Remember. That’s the same response you guys said about my boat! At least I stick to the same theme. 😀

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/187345/newest-addition-to-the-garage

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,967
    Options
    I like it....just looked at the side view and they nailed the styling.
  • tratliff
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    Have you ever done track days? If you haven't watch out, it might eat up your audio money as it's a lot of fun.

I have not. I am looking forward to it. Wondering if I will need a new set of tires afterwards.

• Milito
    edited February 2022
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    Milito wrote: »

I have not. I am looking forward to it. Wondering if I will need a new set of tires afterwards.

You shouldn't, but if you decide you want to start doing it I would get a set of track wheels and tires. Buy a used set of wheels and some good track tires. You will wear them out if you don't and the tires on your car are too hard to get max performance out of them on the track. Also make sure you lower the pressure in your tires some when you go to the track as they will get hotter.

Just remember to try to drive as smooth as you can, try not to get sideways any as that's slower. See if there are any video's of the track you are going to and if there is study them to get your turn in braking points on the track.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • maxward
    Options
    My son does track nights in his Camaro and LOWERS the pressure in his tires beforehand because when they heat up, the pressure increases.
  • Milito
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Yea you're right, not enough coffee this morning, lol. Changed my post.
  • maxward
    Options
    On my third cup!
  • Milito
    Options
    Well, I should have drank more than one!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited February 2022
    Options
    It is definitely the best Z4 on the market, for sure. And you get everything you get in the Z4 for less money with a MUCH better dealer service experience.
    I love BMW. I hate BMW’s dealership service mentality.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • maxward
    Options
    Completely agree with that^^^!
  • tratliff
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    It is definitely the best Z4 on the market, for sure. And you get everything you get in the Z4 for less money with a MUCH better dealer service experience.
    I love BMW. I hate BMW’s dealership service mentality.

Don’t forget the performance from the Z4 and Supra are pretty substantial.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,745
    Options
    They chopped off 2 cylinders. :'(
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • tratliff
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    They chopped off 2 cylinders. :'(

The Supra has a long history of in-line 6 cylinders. And this one does not disappoint. It’s the BMW B58.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    How's the head room and outward visibility in the Supra for you?
  • tratliff
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    How's the head room and outward visibility in the Supra for you?

The headroom is fine once you are in the vehicle. Getting in is where I see more of a problem. It has a very low roofline just above the doors. With me being 5’ 8” and my wife 5’ 0” it’s not much a problem after a few times.

It does have some blind spots. Biggest thing I have noticed is when backing out of a parking spot. Normal driving has not been a problem.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I'm 6'1" with a long torso so it's unfortunate for me I don't fit in the Supra well. So I've got my eye on either a 2022 Golf R or 2022 BMW M240i later this year.