Selling a Car

DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,491
edited January 2022 in The Clubhouse
I've never had a more aggravating selling experience than trying to get rid of our one car. Almost nobody reads the damn listing description! It's 16 years old with 185k. The car has a mechanical issue that will need to be repaired immediately. I'm not interested in fixing it. Yes, it's past it's prime and is priced accordingly. I've clearly stated what the issue is. F'ing idiots think they're going to get a trouble free ride for cheap. Had one guy come look at it this morning. I wanted to **** slap him in the middle of the street. Even though I told him it needs work before we met, he thought he'd be able to hop in and drive it. If I had land, I'd dump some gas on it and throw it a match for the entertainment value. I'd rather someone fix it than me scrapping it. I bought it new and other than this one issue, it's a pretty nice low cost ride. Morons, they're everywhere!

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    I have an electric stove in the garage that I tried to unload a few years ago. It's brand frickin' new and a Captain Halfass halfassery reject. It was $660 new on the receipt he left with me for it. So I put it up on CL and Facebook Marketplace for $300.

Yeah.

The parade of...I...I don't even know what to call them they were just unbelievable.

Two people asked if I could deliver
    One wanted me to install it after I delivered it

One guy offered me $100 because he knew it wasn't even worth that and he'd be doing me a favor.

Another guy showed up with a Civic and got mad that it wouldn't fit in his car and bailed on the sale.

Two different people gave me physical threats of violence because I rejected their low-ball offers.

Two people gave me sob stories.

One of those last two people hounded me for months coming up 5 dollars in each offer he made each time until he got to $275 "and not a penny more" which was up from the original offer of $125. I told him hey, come up with 25 more bucks and you got yourself a stove! He called me a monster and demanded to know how he should feed his kids without a 300 stove he was willing to pay 275 for.

I have no words. All I can think of is that Jackie Chan meme with his pained face, holding his hands next to his head and saying "My mind is full of f^@#!"
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,957
    Yes dealing with the general public when you're selling something is a real trip.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,112
    Oh can I relate to this. I put my khorns on fb marketplace a couple months ago and the parade of low ballers, tire kickers, no shows and "is this available" responses was astounding. Towards the end I started being a **** as I'd just plain had it with the good people of fb. Eventually I did get a buyer who paid my full asking price but getting there and dealing with some of the human race's finest was an enlightening experience to say the least.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    I've encountered those fine folks myself.

My lil cavalier had a whopping $600.00 price on it. It ran fine.
    I got one guy sending me screen shots of 100 bills.

He started with 1 and then got up to 3 bills.

I sent him a picture of a bicycle in the shed and said SOLD, when you coming to get it.

Uh, he declined :D

I sold it the next day, far as I know the lady's kid is still driving the thing.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,129
    This is so funny... :D

There are a few skits this guy has done.

https://youtu.be/EF8GhC-T_Mo
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • DaveHo
    It's listed on Facebook. I've received at least 50 inquiries. I just want to rip my hair out.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,522
    I feel your pain.

I once sold a set of rims with bald tires.. My experience in that was... Enlightening to say the least
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 314
    Had a guy years back call me after he looked at my car. He said he'd take it and said I qouted him 3 grand less than what I was asking which I didn't. I told him to get bent. Sold car the next day at full asking price.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,026
    CL is the parade of fools. They are also known as “The people of Walmart”
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 281
    edited January 2022
    Vroom gave me a very fair price for my 20 year old Chevy Avalanche that was riddled with rust and had 200k on the odometer. Could I have gotten a little more on marketplace? Probably but no drama with selling it online
  • DaveHo
    Woo, it's gone! Owner of a nearby salvage yard gave me close to my asking price. Turns out he has an engine from a crashed car that he'll be transplanting into mine. Perfect! The car will get a second life.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    I find FB and CL is best used to get rid of something (free) than to sell something.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,282
    I'd rather toss it in the garbage than deal with any of the miscreants from CL.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,577
    edited February 2022
    ^^^^ agree. When I bought my 2020 truck. I bought it striped so I could add what I wanted for accs. Well I ordered some nice mudflap @ 60 cheap bucks. I ordered the wrong ones & didn't want to mess with return-as it was my fault. I posted on Clist for 20.00 NIB with pictures . I dealt with 6 stupid emails/text & removed the ad. That was last summer. Now the box is collecting dust. I'm hoping the material can be recycled VS trash