Had ears on Elac bookies?

muncybob
muncybob Posts: 2,962
My daughter wants new speakers. Currently running them off a Yammy AVR(don't recall the model). I've never heard any Elacs but read decent reviews. She could be around $400 with stands which is in her budget of $500 max.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Where you at?

I'll do my. Monitor Audio gold 60 Towers 500 for you guys
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • muncybob
    She is near Harrisburg, Pa. Might be out of reach for her after shipping, but dang they look nice.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • VR3
    edited January 2022
    I'll drive half way for free if someone can drive the other half... About 7 hours round trip
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Only the Debut 2.0 B6.2.
    Not a big fan. They're impressively transparent but the overall tone is "off" to my ears & taste.

Go with the Polk Reference series (IMO).

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Although above your daughter's price point, one of my relatives have a set of DBR62 Debut 2.0.

He seems to like them well enough. They weren't great or terrible and look ok.

Another person I know has a set of Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary.
    They are a bit short in the britches when it comes to the lows.
    IMO, he paid way too much for them when they came out, but he loved the look of them.

He's happier with the sound now that he has added a small sub which does help.

I do see a set of the Wharfedale's that Music Direct has on sale in the same finish for $499.00.
    They don't say open box/demo, they might just be being discontinued????

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/wharfedale-denton-80th-anniversary-bookshelf-speakers-pr

Ditto on the Polk Reference suggestion.

• mhardy6647
    I suspect that the better ELACs are, indeed, umm... better. ;)
    But, as @oldrocker points out, they're substantially 'spensiver, too. :(

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited January 2022
    Have the Debut Reference that I purchased from the flea market here. They are really good IMO. Have responded well to upgrades in DACs and cables too.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Glad you are still digging them!
  • muncybob
    VR3 wrote: »
    I'll drive half way for free if someone can drive the other half... About 7 hours round trip

Pms are a mess right now. Please measure and let me know the width of the outriggers, need to be sure they'll fit where she plans to place them. Her hubby has relatives in your neck of the woods so this sounds doable.
  • VR3
    11" wide

Yes private messages are a disaster
  • muncybob
    OK, more narrow than I thought so, they will work. She wants them and has people in both Greensboro and Mt Airy for drop off, which ever works best for you. We can work out the details when the PM feature gets fixed.
  • VR3
    I sent a pm, I think you should receive.

My email. Is vr3mods@gmail.com
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    What a smoking good deal your daughter is getting on these speakers. Part of what makes this forum great (vanilla notwithstanding)🤣.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • muncybob
    Yep, Trey did her right and really helped out with the logistics for delivery. Too bad she won't have them up here in PA for about 6 weeks. I have a feeling that I'll be asking to borrow them some time to hear how they sound with tubes in the mix.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Only the Debut 2.0 B6.2.
    Not a big fan. They're impressively transparent but the overall tone is "off" to my ears & taste.

Go with the Polk Reference series (IMO).

Make that "Reserve" series! Sorry! Derp. :/
    Tip of the digital hat to my good friend and trusted colleague @msg for gently asking me what the heck I was talking about! ;)