Brand Options for Linear Power Supplies

Options
So I’m looking in the near future to add linear power supplies to a few items in my house and wanted to know what brands to be looking at. eBay is full of stuff and most look similar.

I’m specifically looking for supplies for:
- Raspberry Pi (5v 2.5-3A draw)
- Netgear ReadyNas (12v 5A draw)

I’m aware of these brands:
- TeraDak (Used by @DargueKnight and @vr3)
- Topping (don’t think they have anything that is powerful enough)
- Keces (very pricey from what I’ve seen)

I’ve also heard good things about going with the iFi iPower (which is a switching supply) for the Pi so that is an option for that but not the NAS (not enough power).

What other brands should I be looking at if I’m not trying to break the bank?
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    t53yhcjtfh7h.jpg

Yup.....should do the trick
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    t53yhcjtfh7h.jpg

Yup.....should do the trick

I was gonna say Lambda -- but we're not so far outta sync, since you need one of those to feed a big Lambda.
    8948215482_8a9d4ec42a_b.jpgWhat a wonderful old power supply! by Dr. Photon, on Flickr
    Not mine -- I don't have a photo of mine handy.
    My Lambda's only semi-big. I can lift it by myself.

Any good lab-grade DC linear supply (e.g., a Harrison/HP, like the one I have) will do great, and a serviced and calibrated used one is likely far cheaper (and better in any quantifiable way, and more impressive visually) than any modern "audio-grade" linear P/S.

33943321368_709a00d16b_b.jpgDSC_4595 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Not bein' facetious here.
    Well, 'cept about the Lambda. At least, the HV Lambdas. :#

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    Options
    I'm using Teradak for my modem and main router

For the wifi mesh hub at the stereo gear im using a S Booster, also use a S Booster on the lumin u1 mini

For my fans, ethernet switch and IR repeater in using a no name brand from China with a similar design to the s booster. Works great so far

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I will be building a Pi Raspberry soon and I will use my Welbourne Labs Linear supply I used with the Squeezebox Touch. Maybe look for a used one of those.
    H9

P.S. The Keces is expensive but based on the build quality and parts used of other products, it's probably worth it. Now that you mention it I may have to check into that for my Pi build.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited January 2022
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Any good lab-grade DC linear supply (e.g., a Harrison/HP, like the one I have) will do great, and a serviced and calibrated used one is likely far cheaper (and better in any quantifiable way, and more impressive visually) than any modern "audio-grade" linear P/S.

Lol based on shipping costs due to their weight not sure they are much cheaper lol….
    VR3 wrote: »
    I'm using Teradak for my modem and main router

For the wifi mesh hub at the stereo gear im using a S Booster, also use a S Booster on the lumin u1 mini

For my fans, ethernet switch and IR repeater in using a no name brand from China with a similar design to the s booster. Works great so far
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-50W-HIFI-Ultra-Low-Noise-Linear-Power-Supply-DC5V-7V-9V-12V-18V-24V-/353532995691?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Works as advertised

Thanks Trey! That one kept coming up for me too.

I haven’t fully decided if I will be moving my NAS into the same room as my Pi or keeping it in the loft. If I move them together I might be able to power both from the same one.

Al’s doubt it’s worth it but in thinking about what else is on switching power supplies I’ve got some network switches and some component cooling fans which are connected to my APC H15.
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I will be building a Pi Raspberry soon and I will use my Welbourne Labs Linear supply I used with the Squeezebox Touch. Maybe look for a used one of those.
    H9

P.S. The Keces is expensive but based on the build quality and parts used of other products, it's probably worth it. Now that you mention it I may have to check into that for my Pi build.

Yeah I’m not sure if those (wellborne) provide enough power, but I will add them to my list.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • heiney9
    edited January 2022
    Options

They should for the Pi Raspberry alone, atleast according to my research, but definitely not for both.

Keep this thread updated as I am in the same boat as not wanting to use the supplied switching PS.
    H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • EndersShadow
    edited January 2022
    Options

They should for the Pi Raspberry alone, atleast according to my research, but definitely not for both.

Keep this thread updated as I am in the same boat as not wanting to use the supplied switching PS.
    H9

Will do. So the Welborne is a 5v 2.5A output then?

Also I read a few things that indicated you may want a linear PSU that’s rated a bit more than the devices since some of the power turns into heat.
  • heiney9
    Options

H9

Will do. So the Welborne is a 5v 2.5A output then?

Also I read a few things that indicated you may want a linear PSU that’s rated a bit more than the devices since some of the power turns into heat.

Pretty sure it's 3A since the one I bought was for the SQB Touch which required a bit more than the standard SQB. Keces has dual output. Seems like this would be the ticket to power both. I paid $250 about 8 years ago for the Welbourne. I believe they are out of business now. So $429 for a dual output liner PS of the quality of Keces gear doesn't seem that bad.........w/free shipping.

https://power-holdings-inc.com/Keces-P3-6-Amp-Linear-Power-Supply-p137036162

H9
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 306
    Options
    I use 2 Teradak LPS, with my streamer and DAC. Zero complaints, including heat. I would recommend an upgrade to the DC cable over that supplied. Developed a short at the USB connector. DarqueKnight tipped me off to Ghent Audio, who makes a more robust Canare DC cable with all kinds of connectors available.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    @heiney9 … gonna try the pi with the welborne. I snatched up Rich’s…..

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195713/welborne-labs-5v-power-supply#latest
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,187
    Options
    I wonder if one could Y a couple iPower together, as long as they were both the proper voltage?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,187
    Options
    ^^^I wouldn't be surprised if there is some reason why it is inadvisable, like a slight voltage imbalance causing back EMF or the like.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    ^^^I wouldn't be surprised if there is some reason why it is inadvisable, like a slight voltage imbalance causing back EMF or the like.

@all212 may have a bit of somewhat relevant experience in this regard... if memory serves. :#
    Or I could be high, yet again...
    ;)
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    I've opinions on power supplies and put switching power supplies in the same class as sandcast resistors - bottom drawer - to be avoided if possible.

I know that building the Bottlehead amps we put in better components and changed the CRCRC circuit a bit by replacing the first R with an inductor and using better diodes. There was overall acclimation that we done good trying that. DocB is all over keeping the return path just as clean of nasties as the signal path.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Funny, I was not aware of this thread when I posted the Welborne. Truth is I've been wanting to sell it for months but could not find the Umbilical cable. I was attempting to clean up the shop area in the basement and found it on top of the signal generator above the work bench.

Before I shipped it, I could have loaded the PS until it cried for mercy via volt drop to find what it could take, or rather, give.
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Funny, I was not aware of this thread when I posted the Welborne. Truth is I've been wanting to sell it for months but could not find the Umbilical cable. I was attempting to clean up the shop area in the basement and found it on top of the signal generator above the work bench.

Before I shipped it, I could have loaded the PS until it cried for mercy via volt drop to find what it could take, or rather, give.

No worries brother. Just glad to have it!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited January 2022
    Options

Thursday, if covid doesn't have its way with delivery.

Lots of Twisted Pear DAC folks have ben pairing the Raspberry Pi with the DAC's. There is a thread on it at DIYaudio. Another is the BBB, BeagleBone Black.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

Thursday, if covid doesn't have its way with delivery.

Lots of Twisted Pear DAC folks have ben pairing the Raspberry Pi with the DAC's. There is a thread on it at DIYaudio. Another is the BBB, BeagleBone Black.

I’m using the HiFiBerry Pro 2.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Onboard pi dacs didn't cut it for me. I went back to audio-gd.
    I tried a couple including a nanomesher and hifi berry.
    The nano had a high noise floor, even when using a 5v USB
    Battery pack, so no power supply was going to fix that.
    They even sent me a replacement nano, better but still not
    Good enough. I even tried another pi.
    The audio-gd has hardware volume control, which means
    I can run it with no preamp. So much better than software
    Volume control.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson