Can a 8 ohm LSiM706c and 4 ohm L600s be connected to same amp or receiver?

Hi. I am very new at this and am trying to learn as much as possible. I just purchased a (refurbished) LSiM706c and a new Denon 4700H receiver. I am seriously considering adding a set of L600s. However, can the LSiM706c (8 ohm) and L600s (4 ohm) be connected to the same amplifier (or receiver)?

In addition, are there any recommendations for which 3-channel amplifier to get for these speakers?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2022
    Short answer is Yes they both can be. Long answer really depends on the receivers ability to provide enough juice.
    Any quality 2,3,5 or 7 channel amp should work fine. In reality you want enough current to drive them. Most amps will tell you both 8 ohm and 4 ohm ratings. Amps that double or almost double the wattage will (should) have ample current.
    Parasound
    Sunfire
    Aragon
    Adcom
  • DapperD
    DapperD Posts: 19
    Thank you for your fast response. I was looking at an amplifier in the $1.2-1.8k range. The ones I had in mind are Emotiva XPA-3 Gen3 and the Monolith by Monoprice 3x200 Watts. Of the brands you listed, would you recommend any specific model (3-channel)? Or any thoughts on the ones I had in mind?
  • pitdogg2
    If I was forced to decide between those two you listed, I'd go with Emotiva.

Sunfire would be my pick. I'm not sure they ever made a 3 channel.
    Not many made a 3 channel I know of.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Parasound makes a 3 channel amp (the A31) but those are above this price point.

The main thing to look for is current rather than watts. For example, a Rotel five channel amp that's "only" rated for 120 watts continuous output into 8 ohm loads will have no problem powering large speakers. That's because the power supply in amps like that has several times the capacity of that found in any AV receiver but ones that cost thousands of dollars.

I'd have no concerns with using either the Emotiva or Monolith 3 channel amps if those fit the budget. Also need to budget for RCA interconnects and possibly a trigger cable too. Those don't have to be expensive for home theater use.
  • DapperD
    Gosh, this hobby can get quickly expensive indeed. I do not need to fill a stadium with sound, I am just trying to get a great frontal stage so that watching movies become enjoyable again without the subtitles.
    For the RCA cables, I am eyeballing the Mogami gold RCA cables. They seem reasonably priced and have good reviews.

Thanks for all the feedback.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Just try them running from the Denon 4700H first and see how you like it. If you feel it's inadequate for your needs then you can always add a dedicated amplifier later on.
  • Emlyn
    Definitely a good idea to be careful with the volume level when running a receiver and big speakers. I tried running a pair of LSiM707s a while back with a Marantz SR7011 receiver. While that's no slouch of a receiver the top of it became uncomfortably hot when just powering those two speakers at moderate volume levels. No damage done but I did add an Outlaw Audio five channel amp for less than $1K and that solved the possibility of a long term problem. I wouldn't expect the L600s to be less demanding. The LSiM706 is also just about as demanding a speaker to drive as a floorstanding speaker. That thing's huge!
  • DapperD
    Thank you both. I think I want to play it safe and have a powered amp in the mix. What I like about the Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3, aside of its looks (and budget), is that I can expand later if I want to add more channels. I'm not sure if that is a bit of marketing trickery but it does sound good to my ears. Now, I have been reading it is always good to listen to the combination of amp/speakers before you buy, however, I wouldn't even know how to start with that. I don't think the Magnolia around the corner carries those brands. Hence my solicitation for opinions of those that actually experience in this. While I don't want to overthink it, I also would prefer not to be making any rookie mistakes.

Speaking of... can you place a receiver on top of an amplifier?
  • Emlyn
    Definitely not a good idea to stack any gear on top of each other. Emotiva probably recommends in their manual several inches of breathing room above and around their amps for long term durability reasons although they don't tend to produce a lot of heat to other designs.
  • pitdogg2
    Speaking of... can you place a receiver on top of an amplifier?

Do not do this unless you want to possibly cook both. Heat is the enemy here.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I am just trying to get a great frontal stage so that watching movies become enjoyable again without the subtitles.
    The front 3 speakers should be timbre matched meaning from the same series.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DapperD
    edited January 2022
    F1nut wrote: »
    The front 3 speakers should be timbre matched meaning from the same series.

That's what I learned from the other discussion I started but considering the LSiM series is pretty much no longer available my options are limited. I plan to 'settle' for a set of L600s for now, and possibly replace the 706c center speaker in the future. It was one of those learnings I wish I had acquired before I purchased the 706c but oh well...
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I will tell you, Polk swears the LSIM and reserve/legend series are in fact timbre matched
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • DapperD
    edited January 2022
    After listening to all your recommendations, I ordered an (open box) Parasound Halo A51 amp. The manual states that the amp prefers a continuous power supply. Does this mean it is better to plug the unit directly in a wall outlet and not in my Panamax power line conditioner/surge protector?
  • Emlyn
    The amp would work fine if it's plugged into the power conditioner. It may work better if it's plugged straight into the wall if the Panamax can't provide enough current to the amp when it's pushed hard. I would consider running the A51 straight to the wall outlet because it's capable of drawing a lot of current but it's also possible your power conditioner can provide enough current to the amp depending on its capacity and the amount of demand you have the amp create. No harm in trying it both ways.

I suspect the warning in the manual is because of the rare occasion when someone tried to have the amp switch on and off from the auxiliary power outlets that used to be included on some AV receivers. Those outlets couldn't provide much power at all.
  • DapperD
    Appreciate the additional info. I also have a Monster Power unit (“ Home Theatre Reference Powercenter HTS 1600”). That one has a dedicated outlet for an amp. I’ll be reading up on it and see what is possible. Thanks again.
  • Emlyn
    I know from prior experience that the HTS models will throttle the power on an amp that's that powerful.

It's good for a receiver and TV set though.
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2022
    Plug it (the amp)straight into the wall and don't worry about it.
    It will be fine.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Straight into the wall.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited January 2022
    Ok, I didn't want to go in time out!! LOL!!
    ptt40khvzseq.png

• DapperD
    Cool. The jury has spoken. Straight into the wall it is. Cheers
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Congrats on the speakers and that Parasound A51!
    I am pretty sure I know where you purchased it from :)
    Now I won't be as tempted.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2022
    upon further consideration...

3lusy4olnuuf.png

;)

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    DapperD wrote: »

So, how'd everything turn out?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • DapperD
    edited November 2022
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    DapperD wrote: »

So, how'd everything turn out?

Now over 7 months later, everything is doing great (as it has from the beginning). Really happy with the set of (walnut) L600s and Parasound A51, and -as predicted by several of you- the (black) 706c became clearer over time. The latter I may still replace by a walnut L400 if/when they go on sale.
  • pitdogg2
    Very nice to hear!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Congrats you’re on the right track

The L400 is a beast center
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    You made the right choice selecting that Parasound A51 great amp indeed I have the A31 and couldn't be happier, agree the fronts should all be timbre matched.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)