Sda Srs 2 with blade / pin interconnect

Options
2»

Answers

• engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    Therockit1 wrote: »
    Is there one upgrade that would make a big difference in these as of now to me they sound great

I'd upgrade the tweeters.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,652
    Options
    engie490 wrote: »
    Therockit1 wrote: »
    Is there one upgrade that would make a big difference in these as of now to me they sound great

I'd upgrade the tweeters.

Give Polk customer service a call and ask to buy 4 RD-0194 tweeters. Make sure you let them know you're a club Polk forum member for a small discount. It at one time was a small discount and free shipping, the free shipping might have changed. It don't hurt to ask.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited December 2021
    Options
    The first thing I did to mine was to pull the cabinet stuffing back up into place. It settles "down" over time, interferes with the bassive radiator. FREE.
    Secure the magnets on each midwoofer. I'm done with PowerGrab; I'll go back to epoxy next time. Almost FREE
    Verify that the cabinet is reasonably air-tight. You may have to add some sealant, or replace driver gaskets, or whatever. Almost FREE.
    Next, upgrade the crossovers. Every one of those electrolytic caps is beyond it's "Use By" date. ANY film cap is going to be tighter-tolerance and less internal resistance than the electrolytics even when they were new. However, there's a nearly-infinite amount of recommendations on this site for "the best", or "the best budget" capacitors, resistors, and even inductors. At minimum, replace the electrolytic caps. Not Free.
    There's some aftermarket cabinet-damping material that's had good reviews here. A few strips of "Black Hole" seems to do wonders. I have not done this...yet. Not expensive
    The LAST thing I'd do is replace the tweeters. There's no point to installing new tweeters onto a partially-failed crossover network; and depending on how, exactly, the crossover is failing, could even damage the new tweets.

Well, OK. The last thing I'd do is replace the SDA cable sockets, and build an isolation transformer for use with non-common-ground amplifiers.
  • Therockit1
    Options
    Thanks for that
  • Therockit1
    Options
    I think I’m going enjoy as they are for now
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,880
    Options
    You have no idea of what you're missing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Therockit1
    Options
    And I may never know and that is ok with me I’m sure your the expert on all things Polk but I don’t have room in my current situation to move them nor sink more money into them so I will enjoy what I have and not think twice about it Happy Holidays
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,460
    Options
    Do ALL the mods. Not only makes you appreciate the vintage engineering but adds your own journey to the next level.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,747
    Options
    Nice catch on these SRS-2s.....
    Merry Christmas
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Inscrutabl0915
    Inscrutabl0915 Posts: 47
    edited January 2022
    Options
    F1Nut (and others) are right about placement. Two houses ago I had the perfect room (2 actually) for mine. Right now room is compromised (only 5 ft apart and just under 2 ft to sidewalls) and lose a good bit of the magic and sound a bit confused.
    I’m doing all the tweaks/mods to my Mon7s, and probably regrettably looking for a new good home for the SRS2s (moving again not in the cards, will be taking me out of this house feet first).

(For grins, in your cramped space, they might sound better with the interconnect disconnected?)