Bridge Plates vs Speaker Wire

2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    jwats4golf wrote: »
    That’s what I thought and intended to do.
    Until I saw Paul’s video on PS stereos on hooking up a sub to vintage amp/receivers. He seems knowledgeable and suggested A selector output to speakers and speakers output to sub. All on one circuit?
    Don’t know why? But he was a little negative on using A&B outputs from amp? So I got the bright idea about using the lower lugs on the Polks to send signal to sub as the two sets of connections on the speakers are bridged?
    Probably over thinking it?
    I’ll probably go the easy route and hook it up as u suggested. Thx.

I'm not hunting down this video you speak of, but I have to think you are misunderstanding something he is saying.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thx for all your input. I did go back and find the video I mentioned. It is Paul McGowan of PS Audio and the segment is his daily YouTube post called Ask Paul.
    The specific listener question was “How to add a subwoofer to a vintage stereo?”
    The basis was the guy had a vintage receiver with only A speaker outputs. Paul recommended that instead of running two wires from the amp output. Run wires to the speakers and then short jumpers from the speakers to the sub.
    I got the bright idea after reading the discussion on the Polk Forum about the upper speaker lugs favoring the mid and treble range and the lower lugs favoring the bass?
    Why not run the speaker wire from the receiver to the upper lugs and jump from the lower speaker lugs to the sub. Running both components from selector A. Figured since there was a metal bridge on the Polk speakers this should work and possibly provide an advantage?
    As I said earlier. I over thought it and will go with the speakers off the A output and the sub off the B output.
    In your opinion is there any advantage to connecting my Polk speakers to the upper lugs or since there is a bridge bar does it really matter?
    Thx again for all your answers.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    As I said earlier. I over thought it and will go with the speakers off the A output and the sub off the B output.

Good.
    In your opinion is there any advantage to connecting my Polk speakers to the upper lugs or since there is a bridge bar does it really matter?

Try both ways and see if you can hear a difference.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    I got the bright idea after reading the discussion on the Polk Forum about the upper speaker lugs favoring the mid and treble range and the lower lugs favoring the bass?

I'm not sure you understood the purpose of the two sets of connectors and the bus bars connecting them.

On most speakers with two sets of connectors the top set is connected to the tweeter crossover and the lower set to the woofer crossover.

With the metal bridge connector installed they perform just like a speaker with a single set of connectors but with the bridge connector removed the two parts of the crossover are split and you need to feed signals to both.
    Why not run the speaker wire from the receiver to the upper lugs and jump from the lower speaker lugs to the sub. Running both components from selector A. Figured since there was a metal bridge on the Polk speakers this should work and possibly provide an advantage?

Some subwoofers (like the DefTech ProSub800) have high pass filters (signals above a specific frequency are passed to the output) between their speaker level inputs and outputs so that the low frequency sounds that the Sub is playing don't get sent to the speakers. If you want that, then the wiring goes from the receiver output to the Sub and from there to the speakers. If you don't, you should run to the speakers first and then to the Sub or run wires from the receiver to each.

The PSW10 doesn't have this filter so the order or method doesn't matter as long as both are connected.

I can't think of a case where using the upper and lower connectors on the speakers with the bridge connectors installed would be a good idea. Either run wires from the A and B to the speakers and Sub or run wires from the A to the Sub and from there to the speakers.
  • Thanks for your patience and that superlative answer. I will continue to follow the forum and have learned a lot already!