Dreanaught Power Supply Requirements Will these work?

Options
heroesunplugged
heroesunplugged Posts: 48
edited December 2021 in Vintage Speakers
??? Have 2 old BGW Millennium 3 TMC 2 amps that have become problematic (likely from going unused for several years) and got to thinking about the possibility of repurposing the power supplies as potential donors for a dreanaught project. The case states 1000VA. The PS has 1100 stamped onto the copper shielding, but does not have a particular statement that it is 1100VA. The PS in these amps are solid. The amps do power up, but don't produce sound as they should, or with any predictable consistency. They're very dated in their use of dip switches, designed for pro audio systems and targeted to theaters and permanent installs.

All that being said, would the power supplies be potential candidates for use in a dreadnaught. They're dead quiet in the amps themselves and figured why not, given their perceived quality. The thing I'm not certain, is whether they have the correct wiring, or even understand how to determine how to properly wire one, or if I can have somebody build a couple using these, instead of buying new PSs.

Not an immediate priority, just thinking ahead and appreciate input from those that have traveled the path and understand the electrical requirements.

Have attached pictures in hopes that it will assist. If I need to remove one from the case, it should be fairly straight forward.jbhnem6tc86z.jpg
l8buhx6t6t3u.jpg

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,652
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Looks like a laminated core.
    Our dreadnoughts were a Torrid and very low noise at that. Special order only.
    They do make an 800va unit that works very well and is off the shelf.

I do not know if a laminated core will work.
    Hopefully the guy who did all the testing will chime in.
    @DarqueKnight
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,294
    Options
    Has to be a 1:1 transformer
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,266
    Options
    I think the power supply in the amp would be a step down transformer. I believe what you need for a Dreadnought is an isolation transformer that has equal turns in both windings.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    As others have stated, you need a 1:1 ration isolation transformer. I don't recall if anyone has successfully used a laminated core transformer for a Dreadnought. A good thing to keep in mind
    is a high current toroidal transformer was recommended by Matthew Polk in order to avoid saturation
    issues.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • heroesunplugged
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. @TennMan
    that makes sense. @invalid gave the short answer and @pitdogg2 has a point that laminated core type transformers may just be out of the question. @DarqueKnight is the go to on this subject. Appreciate the responses so far. Chris
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,964
    Options
    What is this Dreanaught you speak of?? 😃
  • heroesunplugged
    Options
    Yes, it's a new thing. Not sure how, or if, that can be corrected. :D
  • heroesunplugged
    Options
    As others have stated, you need a 1:1 ration isolation transformer. I don't recall if anyone has successfully used a laminated core transformer for a Dreadnought. A good thing to keep in mind
    is a high current toroidal transformer was recommended by Matthew Polk in order to avoid saturation
    issues.

Is there a way to test a PS for 1:1 using an ohm meter?
  • heroesunplugged
    Options
    Looks like the power supply has to be powered on and some additional test equipment is necessary to test correctly, (after the transformer has had an opportunity to warm up). That, or knowing the manufacturer's published specs.

No big deal. Just thought I'd check and it's enough to know that this is a "no" for the "dreanaught". ;)
  • heroesunplugged
    Options
    Thanks Polkies for your help.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,294
    Options
    It doesn't have to be toroidal, but it is preferred as long as it's 1:1, which a power supply transformer isn't going to be 1:1
  • heroesunplugged
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be toroidal, but it is preferred as long as it's 1:1, which a power supply transformer isn't going to be 1:1

Thanks. I've moved on from the idea. Can't find any info for this particular model. The eia code 606 corresponds to Schumacher Electric Corp. Can't find the specs for these, so not worth trying to repurpose them, unless they can be used in an Acoustat interface. That's a different subject altogether.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,460
    Options
    Thanks. I've moved on from the idea.

Good choice.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Just buy the Avel Lindberg model(s). There's more to it than just 1:1 turns ratio. I asked Triad Magnetics about their VPT 230-4350, which can be found off-the-shelf and is 1KVa. Here are the answers I got base on the original criteria:

1. DC Resistance of primary and secondary should be less than 0.8 ohms and preferably less than 0.5 ohms. The lower the better. Primaries are 0.393 ohms each. Secondaries are 0.444 ohms each. Therefore, you will get have that resistance with the windings in parallel.

2. Inductance of both primary and secondary should be at least 10mH. Ideal is around 14mH. Primary inductance will be approximately 730mH in parallel. Secondary will be approximately 785mH in parallel. The material permeability can vary a great deal. The previous numbers are estimates.

3. Current capacity to saturation should be 5 Amps minimum. Transformer is rated 8.7A in parallel.

4. Turns ratio is 1:1. Turns ratio is 1:1.03

Close but no cigar!
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,652
    Options
    Avel Lindberg 800va off the shelf and works ! Period!