Cary Audio SLP-05 question..

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    TF

I have popes, I believe 6 or 8 of them. Kept them since I sold my 05. They are great tubes. After owning the 05 forever, I found that popes in all 6 were the real deal. I did also like a combo of Pope and others, used 4 popes plus 2 other (Tung sol or silvanias).
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Joey_V wrote: »
    TF

I have popes, I believe 6 or 8 of them. Kept them since I sold my 05. They are great tubes. After owning the 05 forever, I found that popes in all 6 were the real deal. I did also like a combo of Pope and others, used 4 popes plus 2 other (Tung sol or silvanias).

So you’re offering to sell me your popes?? 😃😎

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    DANG
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Reagan
    Reagan Posts: 116
    Regarding the SLP-05 headphone amp, unless they have corrected the design flaw, the opening in the faceplate for the headphone jack is too small for a high end (say Cardas) connector. Does anyone have experience drilling out the faceplate hole to allow use of a typical high-end connector body? It would need to be about 1/2" diameter. I'm a little concerned with drilling the cast aluminum plate.
    Speakers: Polk 1.2TL w/VR3 mods and Dreadnaught interconnects
    Amplification: ARC Reference 110 w/KT150s; Cary Audio SLP-05 w/Ultimate Upgrade
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
    Digital: Aurender N100H; Benchmark DAC1
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Use a Unibit same as a step down bit

Blue tape the plate so you don't scratch
    Tap one side with bit and come back from other side to smooth out burrs
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Reagan
    Makes sense...thanks!
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
  • GlennDog
    Reagan wrote: »
    Regarding the SLP-05 headphone amp, unless they have corrected the design flaw, the opening in the faceplate for the headphone jack is too small for a high end (say Cardas) connector.

I've never heard of this. I'm not a headphone user, but if there are limitations, I'd like to know!

Does this affect new and older production models?
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Toolfan66
    So I tried Upscale Audio for the popes, but you have to be an existing customer to purchase them..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    When Ivan speaks, people listen.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    Anyone here ever tried the 7n7 tubes, they are equivalent to the 6sn7 but use a loktal base, so socket adapters are required.
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2021
  • Joey_V
    The popes do sound great, it’s just so difficult to replace so I’m reluctant to get rid of them. I’m sure you can run into a set for sale at some point.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    invalid wrote: »
    Anyone here ever tried the 7n7 tubes, they are equivalent to the 6sn7 but use a loktal base, so socket adapters are required.

I have not but I gave it some thought. I did however use 6bx7and 6bl7 as subs. I peaked through an old TV repair book at the tube substitution pages. It had the 6bl-bx7 as a better substitution for 6sn7 than the 5692. (IN TV's) Ran it by Brent Jesse and he agreed it was worth a try. He sold me a pair of Sylvania 1941 6bx7gta triple mica ladder plates. They seemed to bring the music a little more forward and had great bass. They were crazy cheap at the time, not so much now prices have shot up.
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2021
    So after reading about how Brad can be really late on getting you your cables, I was was a little hesitant about it, but low and behold out of all the stuff I have ordered, Brad came in first place!! 👍

qcvwu6qozp8m.jpeg

Nice looking cable, looks very well built..

I am thinking I can try this out on my ModWright OPPO 205 😎 Ha I might have to order another one.. LOL!!
  • GlennDog
    Congrats! RAL is good stuff
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    So after reading about how Brad can be really late on getting you your cables, I was was a little hesitant about it, but low and behold out of all the stuff I have ordered, Brad came in first place!! 👍

Has your new Cary gear shown up yet? I mean, we're getting a little anxious here :D

• Toolfan66

Has your new Cary gear shown up yet? I mean, we're getting a little anxious here :D

No, it sounds like it will ship tomorrow, they have been waiting on the face plates for the amps..

I am super anxious, landed some Sylvania Tubes today as well. My Salamander rack shipped yesterday, so hopefully sometime next week I am up and running..
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314

No, it sounds like it will ship tomorrow, they have been waiting on the face plates for the amps..

I am super anxious, landed some Sylvania Tubes today as well. My Salamander rack shipped yesterday, so hopefully sometime next week I am up and running..

Merry Xmas to you man B)

• F1nut

qcvwu6qozp8m.jpeg

Nice looking cable, looks very well built..

I am thinking I can try this out on my ModWright OPPO 205 😎 Ha I might have to order another one.. LOL!!

I see he's gone to black Techflex. I wonder if that is a result of custom order?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    edited December 2021
    Not sure Jesse, this is just what he sent, I would just assume this is how it was always made..🤔
  • F1nut
    edited December 2021
    Not sure Jesse, this is just what he sent, I would just assume this is how it was always made..🤔

He used to use purple Techflex. If you look at his site you'll see what I'm talking about.

Edit: I left a word out of my other post. It should have read, "I see he's gone to black Techflex. I wonder if that is a result of MY custom order?"

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Well I pulled my Wyred 4 Sound gear, and put it away in the goody closet, the DAC has been in there for a while now, now it has its family to hang out with..

d9ouog2vk8vi.jpeg
    79agcuwgm4vs.jpeg
    l9eq524hfuuc.jpeg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    F1nut wrote: »

He used to use purple Techflex. If you look at his site you'll see what I'm talking about.

Edit: I left a word out of my other post. It should have read, "I see he's gone to black Techflex. I wonder if that is a result of MY custom order?"

I think the purple looks great, little different.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2021
    Have to find a new home for the rack as well..😕

My new one will be here tomorrow..😎

034vc638fjaq.jpeg
    evoxeowwgsmk.jpeg
    83bjh3kl8yqb.jpeg
    e4bctqr4ensf.jpeg
    Post edited by Toolfan66 on
  • VR3
    You sir have a nice rack.

What new rack could possibly Im... Nay... Supplant said rack
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    VR3 wrote: »
    You sir have a nice rack.

What new rack could possibly Im... Nay... Supplant said rack

Thanks!!

I have a new Salamander rack being delivered tomorrow, it will be easier to house the new Cary gear when it gets here, it was hard to take this one down as I love it, the Salamander should be more versatile for my needs now though.
  • VR3
    Look forward to the pics
  • Joey_V
    Following this thread for sure
  • Reagan
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Reagan wrote: »
    Regarding the SLP-05 headphone amp, unless they have corrected the design flaw, the opening in the faceplate for the headphone jack is too small for a high end (say Cardas) connector.

I've never heard of this. I'm not a headphone user, but if there are limitations, I'd like to know!

Does this affect new and older production models?