Polk DSW PRO 600 grumbling and shutting off after few seconds

I got a used DSW PRO 600 subwoofer and when I first turn on, it works and produces bass but after 10 - 20 seconds, it growls like bottoming out and no sound.
It happens quick if volume is high.
Is it the amp or something else?
Thanks

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Hello, Mystery. That *sounds* like a bad board from what you are describing. (The plate amp). I am pretty sure there are not any user serviceable parts on the board, so you would need to contact Polk and inquire about getting a new board.

When you push the woofer in and out (gently), does it move freely, or is there any hesitation or grinding feel to it?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Yep, the plate amp has bit the dust.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hello, Mystery. That *sounds* like a bad board from what you are describing. (The plate amp). I am pretty sure there are not any user serviceable parts on the board, so you would need to contact Polk and inquire about getting a new board.

When you push the woofer in and out (gently), does it move freely, or is there any hesitation or grinding feel to it?

Tom

Hi Tom, yes the woofer moves freely although it's not as free as regular speaker.
    No grinding or hesitation but stiffer than regular speaker woofer that's probably normal with subwoofer.
    When it works for few seconds, it does sound fine.
    Power light stays on even after it stops producing sound.
    If I turn it off and turn it back on, it works again for few seconds.
    Maybe a cap or two are bad.

• Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    F1nut wrote: »

Oh well.
    I got it untested as a package deal with Klipsch RB-81 speakers so didn't pay much.
    Maybe I can salvage it for few bucks. It's pretty big and heavy sub so someone probably can use it.

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    Mystery wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Oh well.
    I got it untested as a package deal with Klipsch RB-81 speakers so didn't pay much.
    Maybe I can salvage it for few bucks. It's pretty big and heavy sub so someone probably can use it.

I would take a shot at polk having a board for it first, I know it is probably a long shot at this point with the age these are now, but polk did replace the board in my 500 and 600 when when I did own them a few years ago. but you might just get lucky, and you would have a sub that would/could last you 5+ years..