Beatles/"Get Back" stuff

Options
A long form article from The New Yorker on Sir Paul and the legacy of that band he was in for a few years in the Sixties...
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/10/18/paul-mccartney-doesnt-really-want-to-stop-the-show

awaq1hmta9mu.png

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Just watched Part 1. Very interesting to see geniuses formulating their work product. To see how they piece together some classics is fascinating. One morning, George walks in and says, “You want to hear what I wrote last night?” And then he proceeds to play “I, Me, Mine.” There’s a bit near the end where the witch Yoko (ironically wearing a black witchey hat) is allowed to shriek into the mic while John, Paul and Ringo thrash. Good lord, it’s hard to take what is called her voice. I’m pretty much a Peter Jackson fan, and although some may say it drags a little sometimes, it is a treasure to see the Beatles engaging each other in the creative process. Really looking forward to the next two parts.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    What channel Don?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Disney plus
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    Options
    This is fascinating stuff. The tensions between Paul and George make it easy to see the beginning of the end.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    Options
    The quality of film made me think it was fake at first. Superb series!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • dromunds
    Options
    I just watched most of the 2nd part. Tension gone for the most part with George. They bring in Billy Preston who they knew from Germany. Gives them a shot in the arm. Really interesting to see how quickly the Beatles can create. Unbelievable professionals.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited November 2021
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    I just watched most of the 2nd part. Tension gone for the most part with George. They bring in Billy Preston who they knew from Germany. Gives them a shot in the arm. Really interesting to see how quickly the Beatles can create. Unbelievable professionals.

John, at the least, didn't need a shot in the arm, as he was usin' in those days (reportedly snorting heroin rather than shootin' it, I have relatively recently read). :|

I do hope to get to see the rest of it... anon. :p

I did see Part 1 last night. I thought it was just about as depressing as I remember the original Let it Be movie to have been. I thought that Lindsay-Hogg came across as the biggest jerk in the room, trying to cajole the lads (28-year-olds!) to take the QE2 to an amphitheatre in Libya and whatnot. The impression given by the bonus disc in Let it Be... Naked had made it seem like the harebrained schemes for where to perform live (and how) were the boys' idea(s). :/
  • dromunds
    Options
    Yes, the Libyan idea. “We’re not traveling abroad.” Finally, George notes the cost of transporting all their gear, the recording equipment, all the English attendees, etc. Not to mention the time involved in traveling, what were they talking seven hours by boat? Insanity. Your comment regarding John is appropriate. He seem pretty witty throughout. One thing I noted that surprised me was his ability on guitar. Much more accomplished than I supposed. And even “Rich” could play piano. Some speculate the Beatles were burned out by Revolver, how could you not be with their productivity, amphetamine or no? Although the current documentary is sometimes rather longish there is a riveting element that predominates. I am thoroughly enjoying it. There’s also a simple rather uncomplicated sense of things which I seriously doubt could be found today in such circles.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    Options
    I want Apple to open the vaults and release EVERYTHING.... there will never be another group that so defined their time as 4 lads from Liverpool did.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2021
    Options
    This doesn't seem like the kind of piece one would expect from Sound & Vision, but this is full of the kind of obsessive/compulsive detail that I some people really like. Or so I have heard. :#

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/making-beatles-let-it-be-and-peter-jacksons-get-back

bholcfwhja7v.png

• dromunds
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I am only part-way through it. SO much information -- I presume it's accurate(?!).

• dromunds
    Options
    I finally was able to view the third and last part of the documentary last night late. Really good finish to a great work. It continuously struck me how full of life and spark John Lennon was. The rooftop concert was remarkable in that they only had about five songs ready so they played each about three times before the cops came to **** if down. But the way the band nailed them when their back was against the wall was amazing. Especially John’s guitar playing - but George’s virtuoso playing, Dingo’s mastery and Paul’s genius clearly came through as well. And when they were playing songs I’ve heard now for half a century they still sounded great. The boys were having a great time up there, rocking and smiling. Afterwards when they were downstairs listening to the tapes in the studio they were ecstatic. Then I woke up this morning and realized on this date John was murdered. I will always remember playing foosball in a tavern ready for a trip the next morning for a drive to Mexico when Howard Cosell announced on Monday Night Football that John was dead. I was utterly shocked as I had just been listening a lot to his new Double Fantasy, which I thought was such a wonderful comeback album. Watching the documentary was like you were right back there, the boys so young and vibrant. Peter Jackson did a great job of cleaning up that old film and presenting a complete picture of how professional and capable they were in crafting their art. The only downside was that I had to watch the doc in my iPad and phone, so I’ll be looking forward to viewing again down the road on my HT system.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    What was up with Ohno! Yoko doing the air-raid siren impressions?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mhardy6647
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    What was up with Ohno! Yoko doing the air-raid siren impressions?

It's her thing, and not unrelated, I reckon, to her and John's (slightly later) interest in Primal Scream therapy.

She actually comes across as a pretty neutral presence, I thought, in Get Back (i.e., the one part of it I've managed to see, to date).