Which Pink Floyd DSOTM on Vinyl?

Options
2»

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Yeah I got a European out of the service and lived there 14 years, I hit a lot of Record Stores in Germany, France, and Holland still have tons of albums over there that I left with a good friend who still enjoys them, this DSOTM album did not stay behind.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    Same one I have Steve. It does sound good.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez
    Options
    Makes you wonder if there are any floating around for sale. You still got all the posters booklet and goodies that came with it Jesse?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• F1nut
    Options
    Indeed I do.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I just heard The Division Bell for the first time tonight. I like most of it a lot.

My first experience with Pink Floyd was the Learning to Fly video on MTV in the late 80s. First experience if you don't count the guy with the toothpick in his mouth at the jukebox in Milton's Pizza in 1984, talking to me about Pink Floyd, asking me if I ever heard them before, singin' the line, We Don't Need No Education. I was just standing there rubbing my 2 quarters together, looking for Van Halen's Jump. Or maybe it was Karma Chameleon.

Anyway. Back to the late 80s, that was when I was starting to get more into my own music. I ended up getting the Delicate Sound of Thunder (Live) CD set a year or two later when I got my first CD player. I like a good number of tracks from it, as well. After that I got The Wall, but was always a little disturbed by the film, so I don't listen to that one much. I'd still rather listen to The Wall than The Beatles.

There's a new 3-LP set coming out for Delicate Sound of Thunder (Live) that's supposed to have 9 extra tracks on it not on the earlier release.
    https://delicatesoundofthunder.pinkfloyd.com/

Which other Pink Floyd albums do you guys like for listening all the way through?
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Wish You Were Here is probably my favorite. I'd like to get a really good pressing of that.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • F1nut
    Options
    Meddle is very good.

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Obscured By Clouds, & Meddle, & More, are my favorites, Animals and then DSOTM Wish You Were Here are my second tier favorites, all the rest is third tier. My least favorites are The Wall and The Final Cut, Momentary Lapse Of Reason, and the Division Bell though I listen to them on occasion but not very often.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    Animals is by far my favorite. But all PF albums starting with Meddle going forward are masterpieces.

And both David Gilmour and Roger Waters have some great solos albums:
    Radio KOAS
    David Gilmour
    About Face
    Amused to Death
    Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I'll give the 2016 PFRLP8 version a shot per a review I read over on vinylreviews.

My vinyl setup isn't highly resolving and needs a bit of work, but hopefully this is a decent and clean pressing without the problems common to new record pressings. It's possible/probably that this was pressed from a digital remaster, so probably not anything special. This'll be more just for the vinyl ritual.

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/release/12214436

Just wanted to posted back on this DSOTM. I just spent some time today cleaning some records on the Vinyl Styl and HumminGuru, and this DSOTM was one of the ones I put through "initiation"; cleaning, test and sleeved in SleeveCity inner and Ultimate Outer.

This is a beautifully pressed, weighty and relatively clean recording so far. Pretty quiet, no bs scuffs or gunk on it out of the original sleeve.

I did take a hot iron to the passage of Time when all the clocks come in. For those who are just looking for a copy for the vinyl experience with those beautiful holy grail copies not yet accessible, this'll get you 98% of the way there. (I just made that up. It might only be 97%.)

That's my short review.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    I did take a hot iron to the passage of Time when all the clocks come in.

SAY WHHAAAT ????
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Just ignore him, he's off his meds again.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    That explains it all!
    Better call the Pepto-Bismol guys...
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I did take a hot iron to the passage of Time when all the clocks come in.

SAY WHHAAAT ????

TMI, Scott! Keep that kinky shtuff to yourself!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I've got the 30th Anniversary edition, A West Germany pressing, old Mofi and a Harvest........they are all good. The 30th Anniversary edition is probably the best, IMO......
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • DividedSky
    Options
    First US pressing and mofi here. Would love to hear 30th anniversary
    Primary: Doshi V3.0 pre and phonostage, Vandersteen M5-HPA, Vandersteen Quatro CT, AMG viella, Goldfinger Statement, AQ Niagara 5000, AQ IC and power cords, Mapleshade Samson V.5

Secondary: Nakamichi PA7, Nak CA5, Polk LS90, Sota Sapphire, Sumiko MDC800, Van den hul Crimson