Which Pink Floyd DSOTM on Vinyl?

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,466
Anyone pick up a copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon in recent years? I was on Discogs looking for a copy. Sheesh, so many different versions - 816 different versions, according to Discogs. That thing's been reissued and remastered I'm not sure how many times.

I'm looking for a single-record version, not double record editions.
Mixed reviews on the latest issue, which was remastered. Some rumor that it was pressed from a digital remaster, and some comments of quality control. Not looking for a crap pressing either.

Anyone got any info on a good release to look for?
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Is the Mobile fidelity in there? IIRC those were pretty good.
  • msg
    Options
    Thanks Ivan, I'll have a look. Are you talking about the older pressing MOFI?
    I think there was a 30th anniversary pressing of that one that's supposed to be good, too.

I found a site for vinyl reviews.
    https://vinylreviews.com/

Discogs has some comments from people at the bottom of the release pages. That's how I was warned off the latest pressing. It was 50/50 "sounds great" / "this is awful".
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    I just remembered @tratliff Todd posted up about his when he finally found it.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/189904/dark-side-of-the-moon
    That one's the MOFI pressing too, Ivan, yeah.

I'll review that thread.
    I disabled signatures.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    edited November 2020
    Options
    IMO you can go beserk searching for a best version. Read the reviews, be ready to pay well for a top rated one. I think I have about four versions on vinyl, two of the Harvest SMAS-11163, 1973 US. I played it so much when it came out, it's gotten kind of old, not worn (I always copied new albums to cassette and played those over and over, rather than wear out the record and cartridges). I do have the SA-CD of it that I play when someone really needs to hear it. I wish I had bought a Mofi version. I like I Wish You Were Hear just as well and it gets more play. Sorry I wasn't much help! I don't get engrossed in run out matrixes... Life's too short! :)

EDIT: I even had the DSOTM green pyramid poster taped on the wall.
  • msg
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I'll give the 2016 PFRLP8 version a shot per a review I read over on vinylreviews.

My vinyl setup isn't highly resolving and needs a bit of work, but hopefully this is a decent and clean pressing without the problems common to new record pressings. It's possible/probably that this was pressed from a digital remaster, so probably not anything special. This'll be more just for the vinyl ritual.

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/release/12214436
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited November 2020
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    IMO you can go beserk searching for a best version. Read the reviews, be ready to pay well for a top rated one. I think I have about four versions on vinyl, two of the Harvest SMAS-11163, 1973 US. I played it so much when it came out, it's gotten kind of old. I do have the SA-CD of it that I play when someone really needs to hear it. I wish I had bought a Mofi version. I like I Wish You Were Hear just as well and it gets more play. Sorry I wasn't much help! I don't get engrossed in run out matrixes... Life's too short! :)
    Ah, just missed you. Great info, thanks. I'll have a look at those you listed. That MOFI version is going for $$$ these days. $250 and up. I saw a couple for over $700.

I usually prefer to buy earlier original pressings when I can, but I don't think anything else I have has had so any versions.

Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    edited November 2020
    Options
    @msg just replied to your PM.

Yes, I picked up the MOFI early this year. I really like it as I do all the original MOFI's that I have. With the majority of them being sealed when purchased them over the last few years.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    The 2016 Bernie Grundman Mastered Reissue is not a bad copy by any means. It sounds very good actually.
  • msg
    Options
    Great, thanks Mike! I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I only have the CD to compare against, but I'll be happy if it's clean, flat, centered, and not awful.

Do I need a black light?

I do need to find a cool little turntable lamp...
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    There's also the Peruvian version, El Lado Oscuro De La Luna.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tratliff
    edited November 2020
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Do I need a black light?

I do need to find a cool little turntable lamp...

Yes, and some Lava Lamps. I don't have a black light but I do have 4 Lava Lamps in my listening room. :smile: And quite a few Pink Floyd pictures. I'll take some pictures later and post.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • msg
    Options
    I need more Lava Lamps. I have Lava Lamp envy.

I'm gonna need to find a poster like Tim has, too. Maybe even some felt ones. Hopefully some that haven't been felt too much.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tratliff
    Options
    Here is a picture of some of my Pink Floyd garb along with my Beatles Lava Lamps.

q45uvhxr7d46.jpg

55p41h3wo9iu.jpg

rsrqifc3bdyg.jpg

z2633j35sbkh.jpg

1dgx5d7stn7a.jpg

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Not sure that black lights would be a good idea in some of your rooms. Just saying...
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    Here is a picture of some of my Pink Floyd garb.

I don't see any garb. :o
  • msg
    Options
    I like that graphic with the body paint. I've seen that before but not as a print.

Great lava lamp collection. I have a blue one from the 90s. I need more colors. Maybe orange/red/yellow for some warmth!
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I always have to skip Time, by the way. Too... alarming.

In fact, I'm going to try to find a way to tape a ramp onto the record over that track with a little groove in it that will gently take the tonearm past it and gently onto Great Gig.

First time I heard DSOTM was on a cold winter night when I was in high school. I had my windows open and happened to start it when the sun was setting. I'd swiped the thrift-store copy of the record from my little brother, which was a change, because he was always taking my tapes and records. I listened to the whole album, which was rare back then because we always just sort of skipped around to our favorite tracks. Great Gig In The Sky was one of the standouts for me, but the whole album, except for Time, was a great experience. That's what I like about this album - it's an experience. It was dark and chill by the time I finished listening to it, and everything was good.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • tratliff
    Options
    I like that graphic with the body paint. I've seen that before but not as a print.

That is a puzzle.
  • msg
    edited November 2020
    Options
    What?! Ah, no way, cool.
    Looks like a good one to do with the in-laws.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    The 2016 PFRLP8 version is pretty good. I also like the EMS-80324 from Japan.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mike Reeter
    Options
    A Fathers Day gift from my son

csj1dr7f679w.jpg

Note the label

j36cvzkgeada.jpg

A 1975 Capital copy is as close to the original that I've got.

ueq25f08e6z4.jpg

Pretty much sums it up.

j2zifw1w1vu4.jpeg

• tratliff
    Options
    That’s cool Mike.
  • msg
    edited November 2020
    Options
    woh, how did he cut it out like that?

Interesting on the quadraphonic. I was looking at a Doors album earlier that's available in quadraphonic. What happens with that on 2 speaker systems?
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Following this as my used eBay is an Israeli pressing of all things.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    woh, how did he cut it out like that?

Interesting on the quadraphonic. I was looking at a Doors album earlier that's available in quadraphonic. What happens with that on 2 speaker systems?

He purchased it from a vender in Europe I believe, it's cut with a Laser.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=laser+cut+record+albums&_sacat=0

I've never had the privilege of hearing a Quad Version, but I do know they are quite collectable.

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    I HAD the original US and the MOFI when it came out the MOFI is
    nice.

My quad vinyl gives me more depth and separation of the instruments.
    Plus it just sounds different on most titles so that is fun.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • msg
    Options
    What's it like playing quad on 2ch? I don't have any quad records, but do have an old Sansui Quad receiver not currently hooked up.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited November 2020
    Options
    d0knlmxqzm4z.jpg
    4n6thj8b9704.jpg
    4s3d5bmeyr8c.jpg
    This Japanese pressing that I was able to find while living in Germany is the best sounding vinyl copy of DSOTM I've ever heard and I own a few.
    Love the english and Japanese lyrics contained in the booklet.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited November 2020
    Options
    bgb8rmz6p6l8jikn.jpg
    6v7qya9b.jpg
    0icllq5035n1.jpg
    o1hrib8b4pzq.jpg
    a1wrjdc2cczh.jpg
    Came with a 32 page booklet and different posters than any of the other ones I own this is a keeper and bests the SACDs I own.
    o4mrc4ks26jh.jpg

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • msg
    Options
    Very cool, Steve.
    That's from back in your service days? That thing looks to be in amazing condition.
    I disabled signatures.