2x3 walls for in wall center speaker

Hello Polk community. I have 2x3 walls on some of my interior walls. Unfortunately my TV wall is one of those. So clearance depth is 2 11/16” to be safe. The RC65i are working great for my right & Left as they are
2 7/16” depth, but I’m stumped on my center channel. I really wanted the 265-RT or the 255c-rt but specs say they are both over 3” depth. I’m about to just purchase another RC65i for the center, but I’m hesitant because I want really clear articulation on speech for movies. Any thoughts?

Best Answer

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    2x3 studs? Who built your house?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Cut a hole into the other room or use another speaker like your mains
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Can you build a surface bump-out frame for the center mounting to make up the depth?
    I disabled signatures.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    F1nut wrote: »
    2x3 studs? Who built your house?

Mobile / manufactured homes traditionally have 2x3 interior framing.

• F1nut
    Ah

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Ah

They don't call them wobbly boxes for nuthin...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Ah

They don't call them wobbly boxes for nuthin...

We call'em kites around these parts...
  • No it’s not a manufactured home. The exterior walls are 2x6. The interior non bearing walls are 2x3.
    Bumping out the drywall was my first thought, but the wall is so clean looking with the floating 75” TV and the RC65i on each side. I made a tucked away entertainment area in another room with wires hidden in wall. So I’d like to keep the ultra clean look.
    Cutting a hole into the next room isn’t going to work, the in wall speakers use the closed wall cavity as a speaker box. Having the open back will greatly decrease sound quality.
    I was mainly asking if anyone knew of a model center speaker that was shallow depth like the RC65i.
  • F1nut
    Rip the wall down and rebuild it with 2x4 studs. Then send the bill to the smuck that built your house.

President of Club Polk

• decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Just build out your speaker opening and trim it out nicely.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.