Cary Audio SLP-05 question..

Has anyone had one of these with the ultimate upgrades? did you feel it was worth it? this will probably be my Christmas present to myself.

I have been wanting one for a very long time, well that and the Backert..

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    calling Verb, Joey and Glenndog, The 05 certainly certainly hits the Cool Button for me, would be an awesome Preamp I'm sure B)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    calling Verb, Joey and Glenndog, The 05 certainly certainly hits the Cool Button for me, would be an awesome Preamp I'm sure B)

Yeah, I could see it being the end of the road unit for me as far as preamps go..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited November 2021
    @GlennDog had a SLP 98. It had the ultimate upgrade. He had it here for sale and sold it. He liked it the 05 displaced it IIRC.

Here it is. I do not think you can go wrong with the upgrade @Toolfan66, excellent parts are used.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2497683#Comment_2497683
  • Toolfan66
    I just wish I could find one on the used market for a good price..
  • pitdogg2
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I just wish I could find one on the used market for a good price..

You and me both. They bring top dollar used.
  • Mike Reeter
    Check out Cary Audio Direct, they are now mostly direct to consumer.

https://carydirect.com/shop-now/slp-05.html

I have a dealer that I bought my SLP-98 from that will do a little better than this price also, if you're interested, send a pm.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    AFAIK, Dave @verb is the only Polkie with the Ultimate Upgrade. He likes it stock but might want to roll some good quality NOS tubes - wink wink

I had the 98 with the F1 upgrades. She's a very good pre for the coin. I liked it so much I went up the food chain to the 05

Damn! Now ya got me think'n of the Ult Upgrade
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited November 2021
    Think I posted a sale link last year when @Joey_V was looking at them? Too lazy to look up but there was some talk about the 05 and, if memory serves, some of his audio buds might have the upgraded version. Perhaps he's listened to it? I remember thinking that if I was in the market for a new Cary I'd have sprung for the ultimate at the sale price. Nothing left on the table of doubt.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Ultimate upgrade was the only one I never heard. I had 2 of the SLP05 and I had them for years. It took until I got to the ARC 40th to better then significantly.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Ultimate upgrade was the only one I never heard. I had 2 of the SLP05 and I had them for years. It took until I got to the ARC 40th to better then significantly.

At that price point it better be significantly better than the Cary. What a beast of a looking unit, I can only imagine how it sounds..
  • Reagan
    Reagan Posts: 116
    I’m happy with the SLP-05 Ultimate Upgrade. However, the soldering work by Cary was shoddy. One of the new caps fell off and I had to re-solder it myself. I was somewhat surprised and the sales manager was very apologetic. I expect it was a “one off”. Also, if you have the skills, it may be a good DIY upgrade as long as you are not in the manufacturer’s warranty window.
    Speakers: Polk 1.2TL w/VR3 mods and Dreadnaught interconnects
    Amplification: ARC Reference 110 w/KT150s; Cary Audio SLP-05 w/Ultimate Upgrade
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
    Digital: Aurender N100H; Benchmark DAC1
  • Joey_V
    Reagan wrote: »
    I’m happy with the SLP-05 Ultimate Upgrade. However, the soldering work by Cary was shoddy. One of the new caps fell off and I had to re-solder it myself. I was somewhat surprised and the sales manager was very apologetic. I expect it was a “one off”. Also, if you have the skills, it may be a good DIY upgrade as long as you are not in the manufacturer’s warranty window.

That’s very concerning

How did you figure it fell off? Was it rattling upon arrival? Or did it stop working?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Reagan
    I was trying to diagnose other issues associated with reduced soundstage. In trying to find the culprit, I removed the SLP-05 and heard/felt something rattling around. Since there were other issues in the system, I never really noticed the problem. However, looking back, there were issues that I assumed were failing tubes but were likely attributable to the poor soldered connection.
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
  • Reagan
    The Cary pre is feeding an ARC REF 110 with KT150’s. Very happy with the ARC.
  • GlennDog
    Hey there and Happy Turkey Day!

Since you mentioned Backert Labs . . . have you seen this review from earlier this yr?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvMOm-le3Lg

Recently, while troubleshooting an issue I did a mash-up of my moded Rhumba 1.2, Pass Aleph30 and Lampizator Amber 3

Yikes! they play well together with inexpensive cables, too

I didn't expect Such Good Sound!

I'd say dollar for dollar, your cash will go further with a lightly used Rhumba or Rhythm
    If you already own a Cary-05, do the Ultimate Upgrade. I prolly will! B)
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Reagan
    Wish I could do an A/B compare with the Ref 40 and the SLP-05. I would probably put my money on the ARC.
  • Toolfan66
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Hey there and Happy Turkey Day!

Since you mentioned Backert Labs . . . have you seen this review from earlier this yr?

Recently, while troubleshooting an issue I did a mash-up of my moded Rhumba 1.2, Pass Aleph30 and Lampizator Amber 3

Yikes! they play well together with inexpensive cables, too

I didn't expect Such Good Sound!

I'd say dollar for dollar, your cash will go further with a lightly used Rhumba or Rhythm
    If you already own a Cary-05, do the Ultimate Upgrade. I prolly will! B)

Funny that his place looks really clean, nice and neat, yet it looks like he woke up and crawled out of a laundry basket.. LOL!!!

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I see the Backert is using a Bent Audio volume pot/board and remote. The same as I installed in my vintage Pioneer integrated.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    I have talked a little through email with Daryl at Cary, I am thinking of pulling the trigger on the AS-500.1 ES as well, plus I would get another 10% off purchasing them together, it's still a lot of money, and just a matter of me prying my wallet open.. LOL!!

I know once I had them here I would have no regrets..
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Not sure if you are interested in used and you may already be aware of them but there is one of each color available already upgraded.
    No affiliation.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649797485-cary-audio-slp-05-preamp/
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa8a6f-cary-audio-slp-05-tube-analog-preamp-with-upgrades-tube
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Toolfan66
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    Not sure if you are interested in used and you may already be aware of them but there is one of each color available already upgraded.
    No affiliation.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649797485-cary-audio-slp-05-preamp/
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa8a6f-cary-audio-slp-05-tube-analog-preamp-with-upgrades-tube

Yep, I saw them, the one on Audiogon has been there for months, and usually these don't last long on the used market, maybe it is just price, and doesn't want to move it, plus I want a black one, and if I end up purchasing both, with the sale, and a 10% discount for the package, it makes sense to purchase new IMO..

• Mike Reeter
    I have talked a little through email with Daryl at Cary, I am thinking of pulling the trigger on the AS-500.1 ES as well, plus I would get another 10% off purchasing them together, it's still a lot of money, and just a matter of me prying my wallet open.. LOL!!

I would imagine the 05 driving those mono blocks would be an 'end game' set-up for anyone B) hope it comes about for you Larry.

• pitdogg2
    Very Nice !! I'm slightly jealous....

Ok maybe a lot jealous 😁
  • Toolfan66
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Ok maybe a lot jealous 😁

I have talked about this for over a year, put money away to do something like this, and it was still hard to get myself to pull the trigger, funny when it's for the house, or something the wife want's I don't trip about it, but a big purchase for myself and I feel weird about it, but I am super exited about it at the same time...

• Mike Reeter

I would imagine the 05 driving those mono blocks would be an 'end game' set-up for anyone B) hope it comes about for you Larry.

That's what I want it to be, end game pieces...

I pulled the trigger on them a little while ago... :o:#:pB)

Fantastic B)

• Joey_V

That's what I want it to be, end game pieces...

I pulled the trigger on them a little while ago... :o:#:pB)

That’s awesome
  • GlennDog
    Congrats! Can’t wait for the review 🤪
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2021
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Ok maybe a lot jealous 😁

I have talked about this for over a year, put money away to do something like this, and it was still hard to get myself to pull the trigger, funny when it's for the house, or something the wife want's I don't trip about it, but a big purchase for myself and I feel weird about it, but I am super exited about it at the same time...

You deserve it Larry, light up brother
    😁😁