Anyone familiar with the Philips CD Pro 2 Transport/Drive unit?

Options
GlennDog
GlennDog Posts: 3,085
edited November 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm thinking of having a backup transport/drive unit . . .but to the tune of $900 clams, i've got 2nd thoughts . . . 3rd and 4th thoughts, too!! Damn pricey

a few yrs ago Skip sold me on the Italian North Star Design line. Unfortunately, they are no longer in biz. GREAT DACs if you can find one
fyi, this transport in fine, too . . . if you're still spinning discs

A few months ago I picked up a NSD DAC and 192 Transport. It delivers the goods in spades. So I'd like a little insurance by having a spare transport ...BUT $900 !!

I'm looking for options, I'll prolly just buy one and put in on the shelve

https://encosystems.net/product/philips-cd-pro-2/

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
Pre Cary SLP-05
Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    Price is only going to go up as this is discontinued. My Jay's audio transport uses the cdm4, guess i better get a spare as this one is also discontinued but there is still a big supply out there. Jay's had a transport above mine that used the cd pro2 and had to discontinue it as they could not enough pro 2's.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • GlennDog
    Options
    I found this ..

""Update November 2020

The CD Pro 2 module is still offered on the Enco website but at double the old price. Listed at 800-850 USD, the site mentions the following.
    “Discontinued by Philips in 2013, these are essentially the last new CD Pro drives available on the world market. We are selling these units from our proprietary reserve of new drives. This is the latest (and last) version of the CD Pro-family of player modules — The CD Pro 2LF (version VAU 1255/21LF). It is drop-in, backward compatible with CDM-12 Industrial, CD Pro 1 and CD Pro 2, 2M and 2LF. It is NOT drop-in or backward compatible with CDM-3, CDM-4 or other non-Pro family CD player modules.”

I was really hoping you or Jesse would have 2 or 3 spares you might be willing to sell to a Polkie at, or near cost . . LOL B)
    One can hope!

Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • marvda1
    Options
    contact jay's audio to see if they held any for warranty work.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Sorry, none of those here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Instead of buying an entire transport you might consider buying just the optical pickup as that is what typically goes bad.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Instead of buying an entire transport you might consider buying just the optical pickup as that is what typically goes bad.

that's what he's talkin about.
    Puritan PSM156
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    While everything matters, does the transport make that much difference in the sound? For a spare it would seem a decent CD player with digital outputs bypassing the player’s analog stage would be pretty darn good, and a lot less expensive.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »

that's what he's talkin about.

No, he's talked about an entire transport. The optical pickup, aka the laser is what generally goes bad.

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    Options
    look at the link he provided.
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    look at the link he provided.

That is a transport. The optical pickup, aka laser is mounted in the transport. I circled the lens for you.
    lyntc3nsg8bl.jpg

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    A CD Pro 2 optical pickup.
    xij3khred9in.jpeg

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    edited November 2021
    Options
    i think you are confusing what a transport is. notice in the link they don't call it a transport. the north star player is the transport. they say the pro 2 unit is used in a transport or cd player.
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I'm not confused, I know exactly what I'm talking about. The mechanism that contains the optical pickup, motors, sled and often the tray and possibly the board have always been called the transport.

Example:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001097432622.html

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    Options
    well we have two different items with the same name, confusing it is. the cd transport houses a cd transport, weird it is. :D
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    edited November 2021
    Options
    It gets even more confusing as some manufacturers call the entire mechanism a loader. Another, Marantz calls it a mecha loader/mecha traverse or just a transport mechanism.
    5oca4mpxfa22.jpg
    l2k150634vn2.png

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Thanks for all the input ..

I've never performed surgery like this. Sooo, do you knowledgable gents think this would be a suitable alternative/replacement?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002689984928.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.41f352d298Hyth&algo_pvid=353abcea-c0f1-4b94-9dc4-44b829ff833f&algo_exp_id=353abcea-c0f1-4b94-9dc4-44b829ff833f-1&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000021733583094"}

I realize this is a CCP product, but the one in the link at the top of the page prolly is, too!
    Post edited by GlennDog on
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    edited November 2021
    Options
    It's a 50/50 crap shoot that it will work.

Regardless of the source there will be an anti-static solder blob on the optical pickup that needs to be desolder before installing.

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    Options
    yikes!
    Might be a job for a desoldering aficionado OR not worry about it 'til the day comes when she craps out!

1st world problems lol
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    Options
    Weird, says that page is no longer available.

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    Options
    I can access the AliExpress and Enco sites ... go figure
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    North Star Design M192 Transport
    Transport - CS8420 - SM5849BF
    Philips CD-Pro 2 (VAU1254)

Is this the info your are looking for??

https://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/#N

at the bottom of list
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    I can access the AliExpress and Enco sites ... go figure

I accessed both a few times, then later when I tried the AliExpress it said no longer available. Just tried it now and it's back. Damn CCP.

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    Options
    It's a 50/50 crap shoot that it will work.

Regardless of the source there will be an anti-static solder blob on the optical pickup that needs to be desolder before installing.

50/fitty is a bit risky

I just discovered Enco is a local outfit. I think I’ll chat ‘em up this afternoon 🧐
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    North Star Design M192 Transport
    Transport - CS8420 - SM5849BF
    Philips CD-Pro 2 (VAU1254)

Is this the info your are looking for??

https://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/#N

Thanks TX

Not sure if the VAU1254 is the one for my unit.
    But that list implies North Star only used one version . . . That one!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Pic of shorting solder blob example in this thread.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/1716103#Comment_1716103

All you need is one of these, or an iron along with a spring loaded solder sucker....in the old days we used manual squeeze bulb solder suckers. :D

git2qwy8bgvk.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *