Work Receiver is Kaput

Hello

My old love Sony 2100ES is now kaput, aka broken, dead not working.

I've had this AVR for years. I got it as a $100 referb from the Sony family store. It served as my home HT for years and for the last 10 years or so as the work stereo. It has played well at least 8+ hours a day for that 10 years. In the last 6 months the analog inputs were dying off one by one. Once those all toasted off I use a USB sound card with optical. Last week it started to sound thin and week. Yesterday I was playing some tunes and it just stopped. Top of the unit was hot, egg cooking hot. I unplugged it and put in my even older 90's Sony AVR. We have tunes in the warehouse but the sound quality is not that good, more of an AM radio.

I was looking at getting a replacement but everything on CL is over priced. I was thinking of a Yamaha A-S301 Integrated. It's only 60W but for the most part I didn't push the Sony past -35db. would this do the job or should I spring the extra $200 for the 501 @ 85W?

Any other options? I don't wat to go over $500

Thanks

Loren
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Maybe you should contact Sony and ask if they will repair it for you out of warranty.

Not worth it. I only paid $100 over 17 years ago. I got it on the cheap when I worked at Sony. It was already refurbished. I think I got every cent out of it.

It's time to look for something new, leaning hard on the Yamaha A-S301.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    @mrloren If you have a penchant for older Sony AVRs (or maybe Onkyo), let me know. And by 'older', I mean pre-HDMI.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    mrloren wrote: »
    Maybe you should contact Sony and ask if they will repair it for you out of warranty.

Not worth it. I only paid $100 over 17 years ago. I got it on the cheap when I worked at Sony. It was already refurbished. I think I got every cent out of it.

I was just joking and referencing this thread: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195229/polk-woodbourne-prettiest-paperweight-ever
  • mrloren

I was just joking and referencing this thread: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195229/polk-woodbourne-prettiest-paperweight-ever

Cool,
    jdjohn wrote: »
    @mrloren If you have a penchant for older Sony AVRs (or maybe Onkyo), let me know. And by 'older', I mean pre-HDMI.

No not that much. I did like the sound of the 2100ES. I do find myself lucky it lasted so long.

There is a NAD C352 on offer up for $200 https://offerup.com/item/detail/1288310034?q=integrated+stereo+amplifier but how long will it last? I retire in 11 years. need a 2ch that will last that long or close to it.

• Not really the same thing, but I owned the Yamaha A-S801 from that series and absolutely loved it. The 100 wpc in mine drove the lsim705s with ease. I’d imagine the 85wpc 501 would do the job quite well.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited November 2021
    No not that much. I did like the sound of the 2100ES. I do find myself lucky it lasted so long.
    Gotcha. To be more specific, I have a Sony DA3ES that needs a good home. It's kind of beast...in size, at least. It is 'low-mileage', sitting idle in my dad's collection for many years. I've tested it for many hours/days, and it seems to be solid...quite decent power, and runs warm - not hot. No remote, though.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited November 2021

Cool,

There is a NAD C352 on offer up for $200 https://offerup.com/item/detail/1288310034?q=integrated+stereo+amplifier but how long will it last? I retire in 11 years. need a 2ch that will last that long or close to it.

I own a C352. It is excellent. matches well with my Martin Logans and drove my LSi25s with ease. definitely recommended!

I found that the amp section outshone the pre section and as such I'm currently running it with an older NAD separate preamp, of which I don't remember the model. but that said, the preamp section is very good. Just not as good (And no phono is a bummer, too) I haven't had mine long enough to say that it will last another 11 years, although IIRC mine was manufactured in December of 2003 or 2004 so that's a good sign I guess :)
  • mrloren
    Just picked up the Yamaha A-S301BL. Check the price this morning on Amazon $279 . https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-S301BL-Natural-Integrated-Amplifier/dp/B00MXUCN0A/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=Y21YHD1Z7CVNNEYFHY1K&th=1

At that price it is a no brainer. The 60W doesn't bother me that much. It's mostly for background music at work. It will get the random workout but I try not to work weekends anymore.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    If you are looking for an older, pre-HDMI type thing.....man, I just dropped a minty Denon AVR-3300 off at Goodwill. The older Denons were built like a tank (this thing was 50lbs) and had good sound.......FB Marketplace is full of that sort of thing
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited November 2021
    All those 40-100wpc Denon's & Yamaha"s & even Sony"s are very good amp/receivers IMO. Match them with a right speaker & you will probably get years of great sound & not kill the wallet... Years back in my flipping days if I had too many small speakers nobody wanted I would mate them with a small receiver & they would fly out the door every time. Enjoy your new amp/receiver
    Randy/Maine