Recommendations for some LOUD speakers

puunda
puunda Posts: 123
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some speakers which can go very loud without breaking the bank. The L800 seem pretty good to me, but I'm not sure how loud they would go.

A bit of background.
I've owned many speakers over the years and with the very good ones I was able to get them to play very loud. Probably the best overall speaker I found at loud volumes were the SRT. When I say loud, I mean peaking at 500-1000W on my McIntosh amps, and any louder, it would distort and sound horrible and damage your speakers.

I sold the SRT many years ago and very unlikely to be able to find another pair. So I'm looking at the L800. Does anyone know how loud those are capable of playing?

If the L800 is not suitable, are there others people can recommend. My budget is $10,000.

Thanks

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,434
    edited November 2021
    https://youtu.be/EAyJmIXcyMg

In all seriousness, for just plain LOUD, it’s hard to beat something like this:

vo0dsx1npmlv.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,357
    The SRT system was capable of playing at 125dB. I'm amazed you can still hear a damn thing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• puunda
    F1nut wrote: »
    The SRT system was capable of playing at 125dB. I'm amazed you can still hear a damn thing.

I started in audio relatively young. In the last 5 years however I have noticed my hearing is not what it used to be, which is inevitable, but I regret nothing.

It wasn't jus that the SRT would play that loud ... it was also the fact that it sound so good at those levels. I could only think of maybe 2 other sets of speakers I've owned which has done that, and all of those are 10x the price of what I paid for the SRT
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    Klipsch
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,357
    I have some 1.2 TL’s that will make your ears bleed
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,896
    Klipsch K-horns.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Digital cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2 bnc, Tellurium Q aes, Silnote Audio Poseidon Signature 2 bnc
    Puritan PSM156
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,696
    puunda wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for some speakers which can go very loud without breaking the bank. The L800 seem pretty good to me, but I'm not sure how loud they would go.

A bit of background.
    I've owned many speakers over the years and with the very good ones I was able to get them to play very loud. Probably the best overall speaker I found at loud volumes were the SRT. When I say loud, I mean peaking at 500-1000W on my McIntosh amps, and any louder, it would distort and sound horrible and damage your speakers.

I sold the SRT many years ago and very unlikely to be able to find another pair. So I'm looking at the L800. Does anyone know how loud those are capable of playing?

If the L800 is not suitable, are there others people can recommend. My budget is $10,000.

Thanks

Pleas tell us more about the room setup and equipment you will pair these with. Room size, amp/pre/integrated model, tube or solid state…
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,606
    edited November 2021
    marvda1 wrote: »
    Klipsch K-horns.

Or save a few bucks and go with a pair of LaScalas. Past 100 dB, no one will notice the lack of bass.

oh, and spam in the post immediately above (not @marvda1) reported. :#

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,648
    If you want loud with good sound, you would be hard pressed to find much better than JTR Speakers.
    Specifically the Noesis 215RT
    https://www.jtrspeakers.com/jtr-noesis-215rt
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • puunda
    tratliff wrote: »
    Pleas tell us more about the room setup and equipment you will pair these with. Room size, amp/pre/integrated model, tube or solid state…

Room is about 5m x 4m (15 x 12 ft) with carpet (no sound treatment yet).
    Source will be digitally streamed to AVP then power amp. Amp is TBD but will be solid state and will be something like a Bryston or McIntosh.

Based on everyone's recommendations so far, it seems if I want loud, I need horns. Never owned any horns before. Will check it out.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,282
    One of these days maybe you'll find a good soundstage and hear the great dynamics within that soundstage....

One of these days......
  • puunda
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    One of these days maybe you'll find a good soundstage and hear the great dynamics within that soundstage....

One of these days......

I have/had other speakers for that.

However we are digressing from my original question. Will the L800s go that loud? Or anywhere near as loud?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,560
    edited November 2021
    All speakers will go that loud once.

I honestly thinking you are barking up the wrong tree here. You are asking people who love the pursuit of audio bliss what can make the most noise. Two different things. We would love to help you in your journey but, to be honest, we just don't give a rats a$$ about the ladder so we are not much help. Maybe try another forum?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Might as well get some pro audio speakers like JBL or Electrovoice and call it a day; this would save you $$$ also.

I can’t speak to the L800 question.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,522
    I don't think the l800 is meant for such applications
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • puunda
    VR3 wrote: »
    I don't think the l800 is meant for such applications

Thank you, I believe that has answered my question
  • marvda1
    In a 12' x 15' room it shouldn't be hard to get loud levels. Of course you won't the finer details and such, but hey, you get loud.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Interconnects: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Digital cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2 bnc, Tellurium Q aes, Silnote Audio Poseidon Signature 2 bnc
    Puritan PSM156
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,129
    I think Cerwin Vega is what the OP needs OR the PRO AUDIO speakers route which @jbreezy5 recommended will also do LOUD.

Those twin 15" Cerwin Vega's per cabinet @daddyjt recommended will do exactly what the OP said he wants. And at 2K per pair is wayyy under budget. ;)

To the OP...
    Check your local or even state-wide Craig's list or Face book and such for some of those monster Cerwin Vega's for sale at a discounted price BUT !!!!, you don't want to take 1K or 1 1/2K to some FAKE address where you could be rolled and possibly worse.

Good luck finding your LOUDNESS again.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,522
    Have you considered headphones and a subwoofer?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,568
    ^^That is an interesting idea!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,491
    I can sympathize with @puunda . Sometimes, you just want to rock out! I've got multiple systems, the one in my basement shop is for indulging my head banging desires. No critical listening happening here, but I don't want it to drive me out of the room when the mood strikes to turn it up. Looking to satisfy that itch on the cheap is hard. Had a pair of CV D9's at one point, but got greedy when the prices soared to retarded. Still looking...
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,129
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I can sympathize with @puunda . Sometimes, you just want to rock out! I've got multiple systems, the one in my basement shop is for indulging my head banging desires. No critical listening happening here, but I don't want it to drive me out of the room when the mood strikes to turn it up. Looking to satisfy that itch on the cheap is hard. Had a pair of CV D9's at one point, but got greedy when the prices soared to retarded. Still looking...

I hooked my neighbor up with a pr. of CV D9's. He'll NEVER get rid of them. He rocks out once in a while too. Man those D9's are HUGE. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • marvda1
    If you want LOUD, found the perfect speaker for you. :D
    https://www.audiothesis.com/product-page/usher-d2-ii
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,606
    ^^^ 93 dB sensitivity and 4 ohms -- certainly not my idea of a LOUD loudspeaker; about 10 dB off the mark (especially given the low nominal impedance). OK for an interim solution, though, I guess.

B)
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 431
    Your room isn't really big enough for most of the speakers mentioned here. You'll end up listening to them in the nearfield.

XLS-215 are rear ported, so you'd want them away from the backwall.

K-horns aren't cheap and need good corners...do the corners have 5 feet of dry wall in both directions? In other words, no windows, etc...just flat wall.

Maybe La Scala...

Newer Klipsch need to be into the room a bit.

Actually, I'd recommend something from the SDA family, which is designed to be against the wall. That gives you a fighting chance for some driver integration at the listening position.
    Alon Petite / Infinity 1.2S / Coda Continuum / Counterpoint SA5000 / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts