DAC with SACD

xsmi
xsmi Posts: 1,786
Does anyone use a DAC with your SACD player? What do you look for in a DAC for SACD? I have a Marantz SA-8005 and I love the sound I get, just wondering if I’m missing anything.
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    Not many dacs can be used with a sacd player. You need an HDMI style interface on both player and dac that can transfer the DSD layer. There is a SPDIF interface unit you can get for about $1,000 for sacd.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The SA-8005 is an SACD/CD player with a DSD capable DAC already. Not sure there's much to be gained by seeking out a separate DAC unless it costs quite a bit more than the SA-8005. It's a well designed product with a good power supply and analog section in it.

My choice would be to run some high resolution FLAC, WAV, and/or DSD downloads through it if you haven't already.

Next possibility would be to look into an entirely separate networked streaming device.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    The 8005 won’t output the DSD layer of a SACD out over the digital coax/optical output, it will only output PCM/Redbook.

Which power cord are you using with it? Marantz players generally respond well to power cord upgrades.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Which power cord are you using with it? Marantz players generally respond well to power cord upgrades.

The stock one.

2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Highly recommend swapping that out for a nicer one. Big improvements waiting. I’ve tried different cords on three different Marantz CDPs, all responded well with obvious performance differences.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    You can rip the SACD layer to DSF files with a couple of the Oppo players. Then your options for DSD capable dacs are pretty entensive.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited October 2021
    DaveHo wrote: »
    You can rip the SACD layer to DSF files with a couple of the Oppo players. Then your options for DSD capable dacs are pretty entensive.

You can actually rip the SACD with many inexpensive Sony players now too. Oppo and a rare Pioneer were some of the 1st discovered, but the folks over at the Audiophile Style (Formerly Computer Audiophile) forums have really expanded that list.
    See the VERY long thread here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/#comments

This is the current (as of 2019) list. I haven't followed it for some time since I have all my SACDs ripped now.

Sony brand compatible Blu-ray players:
    BDP-S390 (also sold as BX39 in some markets)
    BDP-S490
    BDP-S590 (also sold as BX59 in some markets)
    BDP-S4100
    BDP-S5100 (also sold as BX510 in some markets)
    BDP-S790 * (only with ARMv7 AutoScript version)
    BDP-S6200 * (also sold as BX620 in some markets, only with ARMv7 AutoScript version)
    BDP-S7200 * (only with ARMv7 AutoScript version)

Pioneer brand compatible Blu-ray players:
    BDP-80FD
    BDP-160
    BDP-170

Oppo brand compatible Blu-ray players:
    BDP-103 and 103D
    BDP-105 and 105D

Cambridge brand compatible Blu-ray players:
    Azur 752BD
    CXU

Arcam brand compatible Blu-ray & CD/SACD players:
    FMJ UDP411
    FMJ CDS27

Primare brand compatible Blu-ray player:
    BD32 MkII

Electrocompaniet brand compatible Blu-ray player:
    EMP3
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    I have an Oppo BDP-103. I an interested to try the ripping process. Anybody have a link to some step by step process. Thanks!
    Carl

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I have an Oppo BDP-103. I an interested to try the ripping process. Anybody have a link to some step by step process. Thanks!

See the link directly above your post.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.