Who knows about plants?

Options
What are some houseplants I can get that won't die if you keep your blinds shut & are easy to find for sale?
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    Jade and philodendron are pretty forgiving. Easy to make more with cuttings, too.

You trying to be F2nut?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    What are some houseplants I can get that won't die if you keep your blinds shut & are easy to find for sale?

Silk
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
  • F1nut
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Peace Lily

Wasn't that pictures of Lily?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Peace Lily

Wasn't that pictures of Lily?

enllwqepwow4.png

If this is what you're referring to, yes
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    You get up way too early Ivan.

• pitdogg2
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Ha! I was up at 3am, I just didn't feel like saying anything until 6
    😁
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Dang. That's an hour after I went to bed 🤣

• F1nut
    Options

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Ha, I forgot about that.
    Freakin Moon always played like he just found drumsticks 5min ago.
    He was so fun to watch play.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I'm about to go into Home Depot now see if they have any plants you guys suggested

• Nightfall
    Options
    They had Peace Lily.

vhy3pimw36gi.jpg

• txcoastal1
    edited October 2021
    Options
    get yourself a couple packs of these

2-for the Ivy, 1 or 2 for the peace, 1..maybe 2 for the ML tongue

Once setup, and watered...wait a few day till about half dry, then start using the bulbs. I know you work a lot so this helps and they will drink as they need it

The ivy will become whatever you want. Short big and round....long but you will need to support or cut back as it grows

Ivy easy to cut and transplant either in same container or to start another.

as winter comes you may need to adjust water schedule pending how much heat you run in your place

https://www.amazon.com/Wyndham-House-Watering-Globe-Set/dp/B01M32CRKG/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B01M32CRKG&psc=1
    Post edited by txcoastal1 on
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Nightfall
    Options
    Did you miss a link to something?

Got some smaller guys too

rntu6ugz2ard.jpg
    bsqn95bq5mgj.jpg

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Added the link

• msg
    Options
    Pretty good selection you picked up there. Plants do lend a bit to atmosphere.

The blinds closed thing might not be a huge deal. If they're windows that get full sun and the blinds aren't thick slatted, even if they're closed, they can still be a strong diffused light source, which works nicely for a lot of house plants.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    Plants are like pets. You need to know what keeps them alive and well.

My mother has a Ming I saved from a sprig that was wilted. That was 40 years ago. I have a plant that was grafted from a plant 35 years ago, still living and thriving.

I gave my wife a plant that was thriving and was neglected sunlight. It went down to one leaf. We call that plant our "family" plant. It's now 19 years old and is as healthy as it was as when we first got it....although growth was slow for the first 5 years.

My mother's Ming will be mine when she passes. The family plant will be handed down to my son.

Lots of plants have come and gone but those that stand the test of time are priceless.

The Elephant ears that we planted as a bulb (3) 7 years ago now has 2.5 feet ears and multiplying is OMG so easy. You want one?

Plants are as easy as taking care of them...or providing more light. It's as easy as that.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Nightfall
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I've never had several plants like this in my life, if having a mini Christmas tree counts. None if not and memory serves me which it might not. Your life could be different if you never got married either. :p Hopefully I can keep them alive.

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Those plants in your cart are excellent @ cleaning the air and do well in lower light situations, indirect sunlight.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    How it started

rrtfviqywf55.jpg

How it's going

wnv7gxiuagpn.jpg

• Nightfall
    edited November 2021
    Options
    It was right next to the window & I open the blinds when I leave for work. All the rest are still happy, this guy wasn't long for this world. The leaves all still look good.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Blooms on most do not last all year. They bloom for a few weeks then vegetate for a period of months. It may never bloom again or it may bloom next spring. Photo periods and intensity play a huge part.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Blooms on most do not last all year. They bloom for a few weeks then vegetate for a period of months. It may never bloom again or it may bloom next spring. Photo periods and intensity play a huge part.

So it's fine, it's just going to be boring arse green leaves now?

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Annual geraniums (Pelargonium hybrids) are amazing — they grow and bloom beautifully from spring to frost without a lot of fuss. Then you dig them up in fall, put them in a cardboard box or a paper bag to store over winter and these tough little plants will take off and grow again the following spring

You don't box them as they are indoors ...but yep...boring green sucking up your C02

Double that pot size, keep current dirt when you flip it out to transplant, sprinkle a bit of feed in new pot hole that you dig out. ...add water

y45snymigymm.png

• msg
    Options
    You'll get the hang of them after a while. I think you're ready to adopt a kid next week.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Sooo???

l3gat0qunasu.png

• Nightfall
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Part of this. Internet picture, not exactly like mine but close.

12vxzg0x4k4q.png

• Nightfall
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    You'll get the hang of them after a while. I think you're ready to adopt a kid next week.

I'll stick with dogs I think but I appreciate the vote of confidence!