Who knows about plants?

Options
2»

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    What does this mean? It's just the one leaf.

oesw80im3yvf.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,945
    Options
    I know if you don’t water them they die, and if you water them they still die..
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,485
    Options
    ^lol

Is that the lily?

I always found those to be temperamental. Or just plants being plants.

Too much light, not enough light, too much water, not enough water, or too cold and going a little dormant.

Supposed to be able to slow watering and feeding some plants in the winter months. Some say don't feed certain plants at all. There's a garden forum you can check out on houzz.com. It used to be called something else years ago, but there are people there who could tell you.

See whether it's under a vent, or close to an area radiating cold.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,386
    Options
    Josh, that could mean a couple of things.

Plant shedding old growth naturally
    Change in average temperature or strength/time of available light
    Lack of sunlight
    Lack of nutrients
    Lack of oxygen in the soil
    Over watering or poor drainage
    Damaged/compromised/bent stem
    Water shock (temperature of water drastically different than plant temp
    Possible combination of the above

If it's just one leaf, cut it off at or near the base of the plant.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,617
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Yellowing usually means lack of nutrients. Weakly mix some Miracle-Gro in your water. Lack of nitrogen usually starts yellowing at the bottom leaves and progress up the plant to new growth.
    Trim that leaf at the base and keep an eye on the plant. Peace lily's are pretty hardy plants, do not need bright lights but do need at least 4hours of strong diffused light. If it was lack of water all the leaves would be drooping. A good soaking in your sink once a week is not a bad plan. Also this time of year not a lot of humidity in the house. Misting plants helps but can be hard on your furniture. So if you mist it be sure it will not harm your table.
    Put the pot in sink run water gently until it come out bottom and all parts of the pot is soaked. Let drain well wipe off bottom and put back on table. Those plants can be grown in an emersed state for a few weeks and no harm will come.

Emersed= roots underwater leaves above water.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I know if you don’t water them they die, and if you water them they still die..

But they die by two different mechanisms.
    I always tell folks that Mrs. H and I torture houseplants. We're not proud of that, mind you.

The three things that we have historically (goin' on four decades) only succeeded in maiming, as opposed to killing, are jade plants, Christmas cactus, and mother-in-law's tongue. I grew up calling the latter snakeplants, but the other name's way cooler. :)

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited December 2021
    Options
    My snake plant is the happiest of the bunch for sure. I think you could pour a can of Coke into it and it would keep growing.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I water my plants with my fish tank water. They LOVE fish p00p!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    You might want to give up on the indoor plants. lol Get a turtle...much more amusing and a little harder to kill. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,485
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    My snake plant is the happiest of the bunch for sure. I think you could pour a can of Coke into it and it would keep growing.
    From the film Idiocracy with Luke Wilson and a bunch of other recognizable faces. And Maya Rudolph's shirts are resplendent.
    9rdyz8e787pq.gif
    I disabled signatures.