Questions on Polk 10 issues - crossovers and tweeters

Options
I have my original Polk 10s that I bought in 1980. I am trying to resurrect one of my damaged speakers. In 2010 blew a tweeter. In addition, it appears that one of the crossovers was damaged. I believe the capacitor(?) on the crossover burned up as well (was probably driving them too hard with a failing Sony "receiver"). Previously I would pop fuses; this time the tweeters and crossover failed, it seems. I placed the tweeter from the "good" speaker in the "bad" speaker and just got low volume monotone music. I called Polk parts and was told that parts are no longer available. Obviously I was speaking to a 3rd world call center and the guy on the phone said he would email a list of parts suppliers; no luck.

In 2011 I called Polk and actually spoke to an American in Baltimore. I was told that they could not fix the crossover, but the woman I talked to had me describe the crossover and based on my description she told me the capacitor was fried and suggested I get it repaired. So far I can't find anyone in Vegas that does such work.

I am currently looking on ebay and have found someone selling what looks to be original tweeters (the peerless?, although mind don't have a sticker on back; neither do these). They are all black, with wires present in the metal plate on the front of the tweeter itself.
Someone else is selling what look to be an upgrade. They have a plastic face with a silver tweeter. These claim to be from Model 10s. too. My question: are they an upgrade? Do they sound better than the original? Should I go with an original or replace both with the plastic pair? Prices for both pair are similar.

For the crossovers: a seller has a pair of "newer" crossovers that do NOT have fuses. Why did Polk get rid of them? They saved my speakers many times. Should I attempt to repair/have repaired the original crossover? Or replace one or both with the "new" crossovers? That will get pricey ($100 or so?).

Otherwise, does someone else sell used/upgraded parts? I looked on partsexpress and the tweeters they used to sell (upgraded to what they call an "SL2000 tweeter [part number RD0194-1) are out of stock. Are these the upgraded tweeters? They have no crossovers in stock.

Thanks for ANY help you people can provide! I want to get these Polks up and running again! They were the BEST back in the day!

Rob in Las Vegas

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,614
    Options
    Can you solder? Do you think you have a good understanding of doing the work yourself?

Lot's of questions, pictures would be helpful. Chances are you do have peerless tweeters and there are no upgrades there. You would need to find a used pair of the peerless to go back into your speakers.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    Capacitors do not generally burn up, but resistors do, which is much more likely to be your problem.

The only tweeter for your speakers are the black Peerless.

Post pictures.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    A quick search shows multiple electronics/stereo repair shops in Las Vegas.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RobinLasVegas
    Options
    Here are pictures of my crossoverhttpddgkxfi8dmz6.jpg
    s://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/editor/af/8yfsi1wrs8us.jpg
  • RobinLasVegas
    Options
    Here's the back of the crossover
    2qirhrguluez.jpg
  • RobinLasVegas
    Options
    I realize that I have a peerless tweeters; there are SL2000s and the original peerless on ebay. Should I stick with the original or upgrade to the peerless? Same with crossovers; there are "newer" crossovers on ebay; should I try to repair/get repaired the original crossover or can I upgrade to the newer model? Would there be a problem with new crossover/old tweeter and/or old crossover/new tweeter? And I'm guessing I should keep the same tweeters/same crossovers on both speakers, no matter how I go?

• RobinLasVegas
    Options
    Another question: why did Polk take the fuses out of the crossovers in later models? They saved the speakers on more that one occasion back in the 80s! Do the new "fuse-less" crossovers have some kind of cut-out to save the tweeters (and crossover) if the volume is too loud?
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Another question: why did Polk take the fuses out of the crossovers in later models? They saved the speakers on more that one occasion back in the 80s! Do the new "fuse-less" crossovers have some kind of cut-out to save the tweeters (and crossover) if the volume is too loud?

They moved to poly switches. Which in theory are a resettable fuse. The more they tripped they begin to trip quicker. Nasty item they are.

Is that the problem crossover?
    The resistors get hot. The one with what looks like glue on it may have failed, either one actually could have. Nothing to my eyes looks burnt hot yes but not burnt.

Unless you provide links to the items in question it's hard to give definitive answers.

Personally I'd fix the crossover I have.

The tweeter question if you have peerless replace it with the same tweeter. There is no upgrade to those.

• F1nut
    Options
    I don't see anything obviously wrong with that crossover. What I do see are those nasty black caps with the red ends.

Stick with the Peerless, it's the only tweeter that will work properly in those speakers. You can stick with the original crossovers, but the caps and resistors should be upgraded while retaining the original values. The crossovers on eBay are sound like they are for a later Monitor 10.

Blowing fuses means you are overdriving your power source into clipping, which is never a good thing. Either keep the volume level down or get a better power source.

President of Club Polk

• joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 252
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I have a set of Monitor 10's that I am parting out since the cabinets were in rough condition. The mw6500's are sold but I have the single fuse crossovers and Peerless tweeters. I don't have 100 posts yet so I am unable to sell them here but I have one of the Peerless listed on eBay. The previous owner must have swapped one tweeter because one has the center hole and one does not.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    I would suggest that you contact wessmassguy (Dave) on the Polk forum and talk to him about your crossovers. He has rebuilt many, many for members here.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    I would suggest that you contact @westmassguy (Dave) on the Polk forum and talk to him about your crossovers. He has rebuilt many, many for members here.

fixed it for you ;)

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options