Sub 20 Hz Bass Worth it?

I was just wondering what some of the opinions were on amplifying the sub 20 hz signals that SDA's can reproduce. I'm would enjoy hearing from both sides so feel free to chime in. For those who do send the sub bass signals to the speakers, (assuming that there are some) what kind of benefits do you get from an actual listening perspective with the extended range?

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Imo, for movies I do not recommend running your speakers full range due to dynamics associated with higher volumes in movies. I have seen movies with 5hz material, just my opinion. Most speakers may be fine, but I think it's better to have a dedicated low frequency speaker for movies for sure.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • PILAC
    PILAC Posts: 23
    Thanks for the comment! As of now I mainly use my speakers for music but was also under the impression that the below 20 hz in movies was there for more tactile experience and a dedicated woofer with more linear motion was needed for that. Is this the case?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    For music, if the speakers can do it full range is fine. For movies a dedicated subwoofer is better and is how movies are mixed in the studio
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.