Did your repaired/reinforced woofer magnets fail?

I have a few woofers that will need the shifting magnet mitigation applied to them and I was wondering if anybody had a failure following such repair/reinforcement? If yes, what method was used and which adhesives were applied?

Best Answers

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Answer ✓
    The one I've fixed with the 3M equivalent to Loctite 271 "Red Threadlocker" stayed fixed from then 'til now--several years.

The ones I've stabilized with glorp-on epoxy or construction adhesive haven't shifted from then until now. Also several years.

So far, so good.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Answer ✓
    Never heard of a failure. Now, if you drop one on the floor all bets are off.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tin_can
    tin_can Posts: 34
    Answer ✓

Answers

• Thanks! That's encouraging and sounds like any repair method that I've seen mentioned here would work. I figured if there were any failures I'd find comments mentioning that. I didn't but I thought I'd still ask.
  • with a set of 2.3tl's, and some sda crs , I have only had one magnet shift, was in the crs. I have since epoxied all of them in both sets, and I got the shifted woofer repaired by a very helpful and generous forum member.
    The sooner you epoxy them, the better.
  • How long ago was that?
  • about 2 months ago I noticed it shifted. I got it repaired and got it back about a month ago. I tested it and it feels and specs out good. I hope to get it installed soon, in a week or so as time permits.
  • Someone posted a pic of one that was Powergrabbed that hit the floor and it completely failed. That's extreme though.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Yeah, that's extreme! I don't expect to subject my equipment to anything like that. Hopefully it should be enough to keep it together during normal usage. Or any other method/adhesive as well. Of course each one has its advocates and I'm just trying to decide which way to go. Thanks!
  • F1nut
    JB Weld.....done.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tin_can
    @F1nut I have used JB Weld in the past for other things to good effect. However, I currently have West System "Six10 Thickened Epoxy Adhesive" and "G/Flex 650 Toughened Epoxy" that I got for an unrelated project. Do you think either could work here?
  • F1nut
    The Six10 would be a great choice. The G/Flex 650 would not be.

President of Club Polk

• tin_can
    O, hey, yeah... so I also reached out to West System and their reply was:

"I would lean towards the Gflex 650. You will need to dull the surfaces with a scotch brite pad because non of our epoxy will bond very long to the shiny smooth surface."

Looks like the bigger concern to them would be the quality of the surface itself rather than the actual adhesive. I'm not sure how I'd feel about abrading steel and the magnet on a driver. They may also just be defensive and it's their way of saying they cannot guarantee performance if it's not applied according to instructions. In any case, looks like if JB Weld worked for this use then this should be fine, too, methinks. Or one of the other non-epoxy glues as epoxy could be a mess to apply. I guess anything is better than noting in this situation. I'll need to sleep on this but what makes me feel positive about this is the lack of reports of any failures from regular use.
  • F1nut
    I've been using West Systems marine epoxy for decades on a wide array of materials including metal. I use the various available fillers when required for bedding, bonding, fillets, etc. It's an excellent product. I have a hard time believing the Six10 wouldn't be a good choice for the magnets.

3M makes an excellent range of epoxy products as well. Some are formulated for bonding structural components instead of using of bolts or rivets, so you know holding plates to a magnet would be no big deal. Be sure to check the working window as some are really short.

Of course, JB Weld is a proven product for this application.

President of Club Polk