jbreezy5 wrote: »
    (i.e. no wall-wart).

What's that?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Ah. What's wrong with them?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Ah. What's wrong with them?

NOISE
  • audioluvr
    Well crap!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    Well -- a nce, well-designed and well-constructed, robust outboard P/S should actually be better than an on-board P/S (linear or switching) or a wall wart (ditto). :)

33943321368_709a00d16b_b.jpgDSC_4595 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • audioluvr
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I just ordered one of these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_246IPBLKLB/iFi-iPhono3-Black-Label.html

It uses a wall wart. Will report back.
  • mhardy6647
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I just ordered one of these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_246IPBLKLB/iFi-iPhono3-Black-Label.html

We'll get you through this, buddy!

B);)

Besides, if worse comes to worst, there's always...

urd713m24qq4.png
  • jbreezy5

Clipdat, here’s an outboard power supply upgrade, when you want to hear what that iFi circuitry can do:

https://upscaleaudio.com/collections/sbooster/products/sbooster-botw-p-p-mkii-power-supply?variant=22207470436412

There was an immediate and noticeable difference in SQ when I upgraded my Cambridge Audio DacMagic’s PS from a wall-wart to Pangea outboard PS, which is nowhere near the quality of this one.

IME, one gets blacker backgrounds, better micro-detail, more expansive soundstage, and more powerful bass with a quality PS.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Clipdat
    Thanks, I've heard about those before and might try one at some point.

It doesn't come with a regular wall wart fortunately, it's their iPower X which usually sells for $100 on it's own: https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipowerx/
  • jbreezy5
    Thanks, I've heard about those before and might try one at some point.

It doesn't come with a regular wall wart fortunately, it's their iPower X which usually sells for $100 on it's own: https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipowerx/

Interesting, the description seems to suggest the noise-cancelling tech that’s built in will make a significant difference.

Let us know what you think.

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2021

It doesn't come with a regular wall wart fortunately, it's their iPower X which usually sells for $100 on it's its own: https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipowerx/

Well, cool. The question is whether it's worth $100 -- not in terms of sound quality, but in terms of its guts. :|
  • Clipdat
    How much are your guts worth?
  • audioluvr
    Looks like a fancy wall wart to me. I like the PS that @jbreey5 posted. Could possibly make any one into a good one
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• jbreezy5
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

It doesn't come with a regular wall wart fortunately, it's their iPower X which usually sells for $100 on it's its own: https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipowerx/

Well, cool. The question is whether it's worth $100 -- not in terms of sound quality, but in terms of its guts. :|

Unfortunately, there are tons of things in hifi that are disproportionately priced relative to their actual cost.

Granted mark-up is to be expected for design/engineering, but at the end of the day, I also like to see parts quality justifies some of that mark-up.

In the event that I don’t, I want to see that the claims of the manufacturer at least hold-up in terms of performance.

The real test would be comparing the iPower X against the standard wall-wart, and being able to measure them vs. the numbers iFi provides in their materials. Then listening.

If it measures well and sounds better, $100 may be reasonable in this hobby.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Nice table... I enjoy the analog side of things as well. As for cleaning, I have the degritter which is awesome and I haven’t had to worry about static since then. I am still trying to figure out a partner for the degritter, in terms of a cleaning system that actually involves vacuuming the LP clean.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • audioluvr
    So I picked up some garage sale albums again, this time for a couple bucks each. Since my stupid internet is down, again, and they aren't able to get to it for a week, decided to give them a good cleaning and see how they sound. Some of the recordings are really well done! Here's one's I've been rocking so far.

Neal Diamond - On the way to the sky
    Supertramp - Crime of the century
    Fifth Dimensions - Portrait
    Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie

More to come.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    One thing I noticed is most of the original pressings sound really good. Very dynamic. This is my new hobby. Searching for those rare original pressings that are in great condition. Cleaning them up and enjoying them when my stupid internet is down 😂
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    edited September 2021
    And you all were right. Vinyl makes you listen to the whole album! Well and no internet...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited September 2021
    For me, I found most albums (Rock) only have, if you’re lucky, one or two good songs per side. I ruined countless albums dropping the AR-XB tone arm while trying to listen to the songs I like. I will definitely stay with my Lumin X1 file player only playing the tracks I like.
    Post edited by BlueFox on
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Any other useless and off topic insight you would like to spew out tonight?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    edited November 2021
    All right. Just picked up an unopened vintage "Supertramp - Famous Last Words" LP and after cranking it at 12:00 realized I still have hum. What do I need to do to eliminate this? Could this be coming from my TT? Argh!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• jbreezy5
    audioluvr wrote: »
    All right. Just picked up an unopened vintage "Supertramp - Famous Last Words" LP and after cranking it at 12:00 realized I still have hum. What do I need to do to eliminate this? Could this be coming from my TT? Argh!

Call KABUSA and see if they have a suggestion to help with hum.

Bluesjeanscable.com has an Isolation transformer under the subwoofer section of their website. Call them too maybe?

• audioluvr
    UPDATE:

Well I have eliminated almost all of the hum! At half volume it's only noticeable if I stick my ear up to the speakers. While trying to isolate my IC's between the TT and the Pre I noticed my antenna for the Cambridge Audio 851N Streamer was in close proximity so I unplugged it from the back and Voila! No more obnoxious buzzing! Crazy how sensitive these things are! I was also told to disconnect the stylus from the cartridge and use a pencil eraser to clean the terminals. This is my next task once I figure out how to do that...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    That'll let 'im test how good of a match the compliance of that Grado is in the low-mass arm of that h/k. :)
    gz70p11o1re4.jpg

What section of this rekkid has the booms. I see a couple of groupings here that look like they could do something. What's with that one really wide skwiggly?!?

I disabled signatures.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    That’s the groove fakin’ the stylus out of its shoes.
  • audioluvr
    Pulled off the headshell so I could do some thorough cleaning and inspection an this is what I found.

nnravfnc64nq.jpg

Rusty contacts! So I cleaned them up best I could put a very light coat of deoxit on and put it all back together.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    That could just be the grease that Grado uses on the inside.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon