Modern RT800i setup replacement

Options
I have the current setup in my living room. Its taken quite a few years to piece it all together and I really love the sound even without a sub. I do have a set of RT2000Ps that I am not using due to space issues.
  • RT800i
  • CS400i
  • FX500i
  • Onkyo TX-SR656

I have the upgrade bug and have been looking at replacing the setup with something new. At present my thoughts are a full setup using the following:
  • S55 Towers
  • S30 Center
  • S20 Bookshelfs
  • HTS 10 Woofer (optional since I don't have one now)

My questions are how will these compare to the older RT setup?
What would the modern equivalent be for the RT line, if there is one?
Is there a newer line that I should look at that has been discontinued like the RTs I have.

I don't mind piecing something together again. Also looking at a Klipsch setup but not having heard them not sure if its even worth it.

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Skip the Polk Sub, get either SVS or HSU
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Oh Man, you missed the boat! The flagship LSiM line was on clearance for the last two years. There were some great deals. For example the LSiM705 towers were $1499.99 each ($2999.98 pair) MSRP but closed out as low as $800-$1000 a pair! Some items like the 706c center channel are still available for $399 (Reg $1199.95) but most deals are gone.

The Reserve Series, the line up from the Signature Series would be a cool way to go but the cost is much more that the Sig. From there the Legend Series is waay up there in price. So, the Signature Series might be your best bet.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pheatton
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Oh Man, you missed the boat! The flagship LSiM line was on clearance for the last two years. There were some great deals. For example the LSiM705 towers were $1499.99 each ($2999.98 pair) MSRP but closed out as low as $800-$1000 a pair! Some items like the 706c center channel are still available for $399 (Reg $1199.95) but most deals are gone.

The Reserve Series, the line up from the Signature Series would be a cool way to go but the cost is much more that the Sig. From there the Legend Series is waay up there in price. So, the Signature Series might be your best bet.

Id love to get a LSiM setup but all the reviews I read said they needed a good 4ohm rated receiver/amp. I really don't have the money to get something like that to power them. Now if I could run them off my current receiver than I'll start piecing together a LSiM setup like I did my current setup.

Does the LSiM outperform the current Signature lineup? I have never heard either so far. I plan on driving out to Crutchfield here in VA to listen to them along with Jamo and Klipsch setups.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2021
    Options
    pheatton wrote: »
    Id love to get a LSiM setup but all the reviews I read said they needed a good 4ohm rated receiver/amp. I really don't have the money to get something like that to power them. Now if I could run them off my current receiver than I'll start piecing together a LSiM setup like I did my current setup.

Does the LSiM outperform the current Signature lineup? I have never heard either so far. I plan on driving out to Crutchfield here in VA to listen to them along with Jamo and Klipsch setups.
    The LSiM was the flagship line for about ten years. Yes, it does everything better than the Signature line but is now discontinued and replaced by the Legend line. Crutchfield no longer carries them. Only limited new remain available online, or used. The towers if you can find them will possibly be out of your price range, but the 703 bookshelf speakers are pretty special. They pack quite a punch and almost sound like small towers. They have as much low end output as some towers I had from another brand. They can be run off an AVR but a dedicated high current amp should always be the goal if one wants it all, and upgraded sound from what you already have. A 703/706c or 704c set would be pretty nice!

PICS
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/WLDock/Items for Sale/IMG_20160526_073136635_HDR.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/WLDock/Items for Sale/IMG_20160526_073224305_HDR.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/WLDock/Items for Sale/IMG_20160526_073356013.jpg

LSiM Technical Brief - http://www.sohmerassoc.com/cedia_2011/sa_cedia_2011_downloads/polk_audio/LSiMSeries_technical_brief.pdf

STUFF FOR SALE
    USED - POLK LSiM703 - (PAIR) $499 + shipping
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/363454431406?epid=114700792&hash=item549f9280ae:g:v~8AAOSwfFhg3iRC

USED - Polk Audio LSiM703 Bookshelf Speaker - Mount Vernon Cherry, Pair $770 + Shipping
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/114923380399?hash=item1ac1f79eaf:g:psUAAOSwnhlhDDJC

REFURB - Polk LSiM704C, Center Channel, Midnight Mahogany, - $199 + shipping
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/363364524160?hash=item549a36a080:g:OcEAAOSwPWNgfGUN

OPEN BOX - Polk Audio LSiM 706c Center Channel Speaker -Midnight Mahogany- $349 Shipped

NEW - Polk Audio LSiM 703 Flagship Bookshelf Speaker - Mount Vernon Cherry - $399 each
    https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-LSiM-703-Technology/dp/B0067XUYDM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=lsim+703&qid=1628435723&sr=8-3

NEW - Polk LSiM704c Center channel - Midnight Mahogany - $249 Shipped
    https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-LSiM-704c-Midnight/dp/B0062PAWGY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=lsim+705&qid=1628434759&sr=8-3

NEW - Polk Audio LSiM 706c MM Center Channel Speaker (Midnight Mahogany, - $399
    https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-LSiM-706c-Midnight/dp/B0067XUYC8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=lsim+706c&qid=1628435895&sr=8-3

Here's some used Signature stuff out your way: https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/ele/d/ruther-glen-polk-audio-signature-series/7346854689.html

In the $300 a speaker price range, the Signature series and the Jamo Concert 9 Series will be about the only option the Crutchfield store has.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Since the sound from the current speakers is still liked I’d keep them and upgrade other things such as a subwoofer or adding a good two channel amplifier. I see the NR656 lacks pre-amp outputs but does have dual subwoofer outputs.

I would not consider the Signature series to be an upgrade but a lateral move at best. The current Reserve line is equivalent to the old RT series.
  • pheatton
    Options
    Funny thing about the NR656.... I think the center channel took a crap last night. Very very low volume from it now. Even with the test signal and the latest update.

So it looks like I'll be needing the upgrade they first. Course now what do I get....
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Look at https://www.accessories4less.com/

Good place to start. They've had some pretty stellar deal's over the years. Looks a little slim ATM
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,647
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Since the sound from the current speakers is still liked I’d keep them and upgrade other things such as a subwoofer or adding a good two channel amplifier. I see the NR656 lacks pre-amp outputs but does have dual subwoofer outputs.

I would not consider the Signature series to be an upgrade but a lateral move at best. The current Reserve line is equivalent to the old RT series.

Got to somewhat disagree with you here. The RT series are voiced toward home theater, hense "Reference Theater". Way too ice pick in the ear bright for music. I find the Signature series much more balanced for music and HT. I think they play way above their price point. As a bonus, they are relatively easy to drive. Polk raised the bar on " entry level" speakers. The previous T and R models don't hold a candle to them. JMHO..
    Post edited by ken brydson on
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,926
    Options
    The RT800i & CS400i are anything but ice pick in the ear bright. Fabulously capable for the price.

I agree with @Emlyn — I would keep those speakers, and add a subwoofer for starters. then maybe think about upgrading the power source later. Far better bang for buck than any other option.

Is the Onkyo a TX-NR656? Can’t find any mention of an SR656. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    Keep the speakers, save up for a sub. In the mean time, this is a good AVR option: https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5014/marantz-sr5014-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pheatton
    Options
    @Kex yup it's a NR656. Capable for the price? I'd say so! My entire setup less the receiver was around $500. Pieced together over about 3 years.

@ken brydson I actually have a set of Polk SDA-2s in the same room for stereo duties. So no worries on the front.

@rooftop59 thats I fantastic deal I think. I just picked up an open box Sony STR-DN1080 to hold me over till I figure out what to get. I was looking at the Marantz SR5015 but that looks like a better deal to me price wise. The Sony definitely has more punch than the Onkyo.

Recommendations subs? I had been looking for the matching sub from when the RTs were ending sold. I assume to don't need to timbre match them?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,971
    Options
    pheatton wrote: »
    @Kex yup it's a NR656. Capable for the price? I'd say so! My entire setup less the receiver was around $500. Pieced together over about 3 years.

@ken brydson I actually have a set of Polk SDA-2s in the same room for stereo duties. So no worries on the front.

@rooftop59 thats I fantastic deal I think. I just picked up an open box Sony STR-DN1080 to hold me over till I figure out what to get. I was looking at the Marantz SR5015 but that looks like a better deal to me price wise. The Sony definitely has more punch than the Onkyo.

Recommendations subs? I had been looking for the matching sub from when the RTs were ending sold. I assume to don't need to timbre match them?

Subs don’t have a “timbre” since they typically only play below 80 hz. No need to match brands. But they do have speed, accuracy, texture, etc., and you will price a huge improvement from a really good sub. Anything from SVS or HSU that is in your budget will be a big upgrade! I have an HSU VTF-2 mk5 and it’s awesome, especially for the medium-small room it’s in.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    Recommendations subs?
    Velodyne
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• _mo_
    _mo_ Posts: 53
    Options
    OP, what did you decide and what do you think?

I'm in the process of replacing my old 5.1 Polk TL system with a 7.2.4 setup. I'm repurposing the TL1's for height speakers and got 4 Signature S10's for the surround speakers and an S35 for the center (I really liked the S20's and S35, but it's a family room and I needed something smaller). I bought a used pair of RT800's and really like them, but with the sale on the Signature S60's I was thinking of switching if it's worth the money. I do have two PSW10 subs as well.
    Family Room 7.2.4: S35, S60, S10, MM2104 endtables, TL1
    Basement 5.1.2: CS400i, RT55i, RT25, PSW450, MC60
    Living Room Stereo: SDA 2a
  • pheatton
    Options
    _mo_ wrote: »
    OP, what did you decide and what do you think?

I'm in the process of replacing my old 5.1 Polk TL system with a 7.2.4 setup. I'm repurposing the TL1's for height speakers and got 4 Signature S10's for the surround speakers and an S35 for the center (I really liked the S20's and S35, but it's a family room and I needed something smaller). I bought a used pair of RT800's and really like them, but with the sale on the Signature S60's I was thinking of switching if it's worth the money. I do have two PSW10 subs as well.

I decided to keep my setup but replaced my receiver instead since the center I started to go, low volume intermittently. I picked an open box at a local BestBuy, Sony STR-DN1080 for super cheap. Ill keep this until I decide I want to plop down for a Marantz.
  • _mo_
    _mo_ Posts: 53
    Options
    Gotcha, good choice. For what it is worth my S60's came in a few days ago. So far I am loving them. Much better bass response than the RT800's, I was listening to them in stereo and had to double check at one point that my subs were not active! They also have a somewhat better soundstage; I thought the RT800's had a pretty good horizontal soundstage, the S60's add a bit more verticality. My wife likes the way the S60's look better than the RT800's as well, but even after measuring the space I was still surprised by just how deep they are.
    Family Room 7.2.4: S35, S60, S10, MM2104 endtables, TL1
    Basement 5.1.2: CS400i, RT55i, RT25, PSW450, MC60
    Living Room Stereo: SDA 2a