Hermitism Posts: 4,206
    Options
    FYI: The Labor Day sale has ended.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »

I hadn't been tracking Polk's pricing, and thus didn't realize the discount was a Labor Day sale. I thought I had until the end of the month to take advantage of the Legendary offer, and I actually still do, just not at those sale prices... A classic case of when you snooze, you lose. My code is available, should anyone want it.
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    Great pictorial JayCee! I'll be anxious to hear your comments B)
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

I hadn't been tracking Polk's pricing, and thus didn't realize the discount was a Labor Day sale. I thought I had until the end of the month to take advantage of the Legendary offer, and I actually still do, just not at those sale prices... A classic case of when you snooze, you lose. My code is available, should anyone want it.

I've been waiting for those with new L800's to chime in with their impressions, and I didn't realize that the Sale pricing had expired until I checked last evening.

I was actually adding a pair to the cart when I noticed this. I'm backing out and also have a Discount Code if anyone might be interested, just shoot me a p.m. and I'll pass it along.

• BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Outstanding JayCee!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Hermitism
    edited September 2021
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

My understanding is the sale and code could be used together for a greater discount, but the code is good through the end of September.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Since missing the sale, I also now have a code available.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,921
    Options
    I thought it ended at the end of the month as far as the code is concerned.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Intro To Sales & Discounts 101
    No Text Books Required.

There was a sale. It was for forum and non-forum members. It was for everyone. It just ended.

There is a discount code. It's good through the end of the month. It was for the first 50 forum members that responded to the promotion. Again, it's good through the end of September.

As of yesterday, the discount code can be applied to the regular price of the speakers. The code still works. The code is good until the end of the month. It's for forum members only.

Before yesterday, the code could be applied to the sale price of the speakers. The sale is no longer. The code is still valid. The code can no longer be applied to the sale price because they are no longer on sale.

We need a list of members, members that were member when this promo was announced, that still need a code. I have one that I will not be using. This is not for someone reading this and joins the forum just for the code.
  • Hermitism
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Intro To Leaving A Review 101

If you take advantage of the code. The code that is still valid, The code that is not a sale, but a code, you are supposed to leave a review on Polk's website, not forum. You can leave a review on the forum, and wish you would, but you still have to leave a review on their website. It's the only thing they have asked in return for the code. Not the sale. That is no longer.
  • Milito
    Options
    I plan on leaving a review on the Polk site after I've had them for 3 - 4 weeks.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    I plan on leaving a review on the Polk site after I've had them for 3 - 4 weeks.

Based on my own experience, that's the right thing to do with the Legends.
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    JayCee, Thank you for the excellent post on your impressions of the L800's. It's good to hear that they provide a little deeper stage than the originals, even at the close proximity to the wall.

I'm still contemplating whether I'll take the plunge or not, my 2.3TL's are sounding soo good with a few recent changes, that I'm hesitant. I'm not big into HT, so the L800 would be strictly for 2 Channel.

My wife and I will be moving to a different home in the future and I keep telling myself to wait and see what kind of room I end up with...but, like you say, this pricing may never be here again.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options

Sounds good to me, I'll plan to do the same!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    I got my order in today but I have to wait for some help to get them upstairs. In my mind I’m still in my 20’s but when I tried to do it alone I quickly remembered I was in my 50’s. Those L800’s are some heavy and bulky boxes. I did get them from the garage to the stairs inside. Hopefully I can round up some help in the next couple of days.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Great job JayCee, and is going to be a tough act to follow. Really felt that "your place is mine feeling."
    Congrats on your new speakers.

I will honor and post a review, it will just take a awhile to complete the re-vamp of my HT. Very excited!!
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,482
    edited September 2021
    Options
    JayCee, Thank you for the excellent post on your impressions of the L800's. It's good to hear that they provide a little deeper stage than the originals, even at the close proximity to the wall.

I'm still contemplating whether I'll take the plunge or not, my 2.3TL's are sounding soo good with a few recent changes, that I'm hesitant. I'm not big into HT, so the L800 would be strictly for 2 Channel.

My wife and I will be moving to a different home in the future and I keep telling myself to wait and see what kind of room I end up with...but, like you say, this pricing may never be here again.

Thanks, wasn't looking to do any type of review but, as per my usual, it went long. My pleasure and hope it helps.

The 2.3's are the only SRS's I haven't heard. I'm not a big HT guy, either, and it's strictly a 2.1 setup. I have an Epik dual 15" sub that I haven't turned on. I'm 95% sure I dialed in the SDA portion of the 800's but the bass was just not coming through. Since my last post I decided to go with my gut, removed the footers from the spikes and place them on Myspike(sp?) brass spike disks. Good gawd...the bass showed up and tightened up the midrange!! I knew it'd get better without the footers, as all my speakers are spiked, but needed them to do the shuffle. Anyone with floorstander Legends, remove the footers and go spikes sooner than later. The footers are spongy; you can really feel it when you push the towers and they are holding back even more goodness.

I know what you mean re. upgrades on the vintage stuff. My 1.2tl's are really stellar after recent upgrades. Like you, there's another house in our future and #1 priority, for me, is a very good listening area and a secondary area for HT with the intention of hosting grandkids, etc. One thing you might consider is the level of detail that comes through with the Pinnacle tweeter and Turbine cones. The SRS's are warm and comfortable and capable of detail with really good gear + mods. But, and it's a big BUT, they don't have this level of detail. I think it's the selling point if it interests you. Not trying to sell you on them one way or another but believe it's the biggest difference.

I've said for years I'd be all over a modern SDA w/advanced drivers. Had to put my money where my mouth is.
    simm wrote: »
    I got my order in today but I have to wait for some help to get them upstairs. In my mind I’m still in my 20’s but when I tried to do it alone I quickly remembered I was in my 50’s. Those L800’s are some heavy and bulky boxes. I did get them from the garage to the stairs inside. Hopefully I can round up some help in the next couple of days.

I had to muscle mine up 4 stairs from the backyard to the house using the hand cart. I'm mid 50's, too, and probably should've used help. Thrown my back out once, years ago, and you'd think I'd have learned! Get to rounding those folks up!!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Milito
    Options
    I'll have to try removing the footers in the next few days.

The tweeters are much better than the LSiM tweeters IMO, that's what I have noticed the most along with more bass on the L600's.
  • Emlyn
    edited September 2021
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    One thing you might consider is the level of detail that comes through with the Pinnacle tweeter and Turbine cones. The SRS's are warm and comfortable and capable of detail with really good gear + mods. But, and it's a big BUT, they don't have this level of detail. I think it's the selling point if it interests you. Not trying to sell you on them one way or another but believe it's the biggest difference.

I've said for years I'd be all over a modern SDA w/advanced drivers. Had to put my money where my mouth is.

This is exactly my observation on the L800s as well. All of the SDA speakers I've experienced have been really fun to listen to. The L800s to me have a more modern, punchy, sound to them. The older SDAs are very smooth and elegant sounding. All are enveloping.

I would also note that original SDA speakers must be upgraded in some way, at the very least with the original tweeters replaced with the RD0 versions, to even be worth keeping. At least to my ears.

Post edited by Emlyn on
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,463
    Options
    I'll have to try removing the footers in the next few days.

The tweeters are much better than the LSiM tweeters IMO, that's what I have noticed the most along with more bass on the L600's.

Oh yes, same thing I experienced with my Reserves. Let the spikes come out on a hard floor/surface! JayCee - Nice mini review BTW. The two lines do indeed share many common traits.
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,482
    Options
    As I've said before, WAF is not a big deal in my house but she's not down with captive time in the sweet spot. You won't get an opinion on how the speakers sound, however, here are her thoughts on the looks of the L800's vs the 3.1tl's that just migrated to storage and will be gifted to my son & DIL:
    1. Didn't dislike the 3.1's but prefers the 800's
    2. Although similar in size, not as big (good)
    3. Modern aesthetics
    4. Prefers the walnut veneer vs oak, "nice"
    5. Regarding the driver configuration, "they look permanently surprised"
    She helped choose the walnut, so to continue including her in the new purchase I gave her the honor of removing the protective film on the Polk emblems. A satisfying ritual with any new gear purchase:
    s37kctzd2qn2.jpg
    Considering the Legend line is the swan song for Stu Lumsden, last of the Polk old guard, would've been nice to have a Legend/Stu Lumsden signature badge in the same vain as the Matthew Polk plate on the original SRS line.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AqdDAnuN4
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,640
    Options
    That Stu badge would have been a nice touch.
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    As I've said before, WAF is not a big deal in my house but she's not down with captive time in the sweet spot. You won't get an opinion on how the speakers sound, however, here are her thoughts on the looks of the L800's vs the 3.1tl's that just migrated to storage and will be gifted to my son & DIL:
    1. Didn't dislike the 3.1's but prefers the 800's
    2. Although similar in size, not as big (good)
    3. Modern aesthetics
    4. Prefers the walnut veneer vs oak, "nice"
    5. Regarding the driver configuration, "they look permanently surprised"
    She helped choose the walnut, so to continue including her in the new purchase I gave her the honor of removing the protective film on the Polk emblems. A satisfying ritual with any new gear purchase

JayCee, awesome that your wife is onboard B) For the L800's to relegate the modded 3.1TL's into storage is saying something, been listening to mine most of the day and they never disappoint.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,865
    Options
    I've heard the L800. I'll take my modded 2.3TL's every day and twice on Sunday.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• woodhead 2
    Options
    I have Emotiva XPA 7. Will 200 watts be enough to drive the 800's?
    Panny 8000 project
    Oppo 103D
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Upper fronts- Monitor 30's
    Surrounds- Monitor 50's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS 350
    Sub- SVS PB 2000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
  • Emlyn
    Options
    woodhead 2 wrote: »
    I have Emotiva XPA 7. Will 200 watts be enough to drive the 800's?

Short answer is yes. That amp would have north of 400 watts per channel available to the L800s when in stereo only mode. You may want to check with Emotiva on whether the modular design of the amp may be an issue for the SDA function. I suspect it’ll be fine since the amp does not seem to be a differential amp.
  • woodhead 2
    Options
    Thank you.
    Panny 8000 project
    Oppo 103D
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Upper fronts- Monitor 30's
    Surrounds- Monitor 50's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS 350
    Sub- SVS PB 2000
    Onkyo 607[back up]