Border Patrol SE-i DAC Review

Options

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,600
    Options
    I only listened to the DacMagic+ once, but it felt like it wasn't getting me quite as close to my music as some of the other DACs I had on hand. I gave it to @tratliff and I think he's enjoying it in his vintage system.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    @erniejade any thoughts on the border patrol yet?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • guyincognito
    Options
    I too am interested.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Give it time, I only just shipped it to him yesterday. :)
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    :) I am excited to get my ears on this.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • marvda1
    Options
    grab a musetec mh-da0005 and let me know what you think.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • erniejade
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    grab a musetec mh-da0005 and let me know what you think.

I wish! Need to wait for a used one to come up. I have been reading the threads on Head_fi on the 005 and it looks great but, its also double the $ what the DA004 is and about 1k ish on the Boarder Patrol.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • marvda1
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I'm waiting on a used one to pop up also. For the time being i'm using the mh-daooo4 and the musical paradise mp-d2 mk3 to hold me over. I will put a musical paradise mp-2 mk1 up for sale.
    Puritan PSM156
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    I'm waiting on a used one to pop up also. For the time being i'm using the mh-daooo4 and the musical paradise mp-d2 mk3 to hold me over. I will put a musical paradise mp-2 mk1 up for sale.

Do these have a tube output stage?
  • marvda1
    edited September 2021
    Options
    no, they do not. but the musical paradise does, and it's tube rectified.
    Puritan PSM156
  • erniejade
    Options
    I need more time on this to make a review but off the bat I can say I love the bass from it and it is very sensitive to different cables. I have tried my Wireworld Eclipse Silver, High Fidelity Revel and just for giggles an old cheap set of Audioquest. Each time I swapped cables sounded like I changed Dac's. I have only tried it with Shunyata zitron viper cobra power cable but I do have a couple more I can try as well. I will post more later as I get more time on it.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I noticed different USB cables also made a pretty big difference with it.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    I'm using Morrow Audio DIG4 digital cables & MA4 IC's throughout. Excellent sounding & great synergy within the system. Cables sure as shooting do make a difference.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Great YouTube video by Steve Guttenberg comparing the BP DAC & the Denefrips Aries DAC. I must say he was spot on. I personally never heard the Aries but boy of boy did he ever nail the BP.
    Different flavors for sure as vanilla & chocolate. I always prefer vanilla.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    I need more time on this to make a review but off the bat I can say I love the bass from it and it is very sensitive to different cables. I have tried my Wireworld Eclipse Silver, High Fidelity Revel and just for giggles an old cheap set of Audioquest. Each time I swapped cables sounded like I changed Dac's. I have only tried it with Shunyata zitron viper cobra power cable but I do have a couple more I can try as well. I will post more later as I get more time on it.

Any further listening to report on. It will be interesting to hear your take on how it sounds with swapping out cables.
  • erniejade
    Options
    I did do more listening but, my ears are not up to snuff right now due to Covid. Once they are back even 80% i will do more listening.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    I did do more listening but, my ears are not up to snuff right now due to Covid. Once they are back even 80% i will do more listening.

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your bout with Covid. No rush at all, get yourself well!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options

Get well soon!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • erniejade
    Options
    The High Fidelity Reveal RCA's on the BP is a great match and the longer it's in the system, the more I really like it. No, it doesn't have the resolution my LKS has, no it's not hyper detailed, it's very layed back actually. I find myself listening to music much louder vs the lks actually. What this thing has is soul and something organic that is hard for me to describe.

I can totally see myself keeping both the lks and the Boarder for different music. Classic rock \ folk music on the BP, EDM type on the LKS. Jazz, I feel can go either way depending on the style of Jazz.

The BP right off the bat did not just reach up and grab me. I had to do a cable change in a way get used to the way it sounds and, it really had to settle in the rig. Some things seem to settle in quickly and some just take more time. Organic, soul, not hyper detailed, not in your face, I get what people love about this dac. I also can see why some might not like it for the exact same reasons!
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    The High Fidelity Reveal RCA's on the BP is a great match and the longer it's in the system, the more I really like it. No, it doesn't have the resolution my LKS has, no it's not hyper detailed, it's very layed back actually. I find myself listening to music much louder vs the lks actually. What this thing has is soul and something organic that is hard for me to describe.

I can totally see myself keeping both the lks and the Boarder for different music. Classic rock \ folk music on the BP, EDM type on the LKS. Jazz, I feel can go either way depending on the style of Jazz.

The BP right off the bat did not just reach up and grab me. I had to do a cable change in a way get used to the way it sounds and, it really had to settle in the rig. Some things seem to settle in quickly and some just take more time. Organic, soul, not hyper detailed, not in your face, I get what people love about this dac. I also can see why some might not like it for the exact same reasons!

Great review! That's what I love about the BP...it simply serves up the music with body & soul with no digital nasties. Turn up the volume with the BP & it stays true to the music without getting in your face & making your ears hurt. I can listen for hours & find it smooth across all genres. It fits my listening preference to a tee.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Thanks Drew for letting me have the opportunity to listen to this unit. It has a nice place in my home for a long time :)
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Enjoy! Glad it found a new home where it'll be put to good use!
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Thanks Drew for letting me have the opportunity to listen to this unit. It has a nice place in my home for a long time :)

Glad you're enjoying it. 👍
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

Nice Brian. What your describing almost sounds like what we used to describe about other pieces....musicality. Not a bad thing at all. Depends on what you chase in this hobby. There is a fine line between chasing the utmost in transparency/detail, while not losing any musicality. Go too far either way, and it can be disappointing. Looks like the BP tilts more to the side of musicality by your review. Worth chasing in my opinion anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Nice Brian. What your describing almost sounds like what we used to describe about other pieces....musicality. Not a bad thing at all. Depends on what you chase in this hobby. There is a fine line between chasing the utmost in transparency/detail, while not losing any musicality. Go too far either way, and it can be disappointing. Looks like the BP tilts more to the side of musicality by your review. Worth chasing in my opinion anyway.

Tony,

First & foremost the BP shines for it's musicality. However it is by no means a slouch when it comes to transparency & detail. To my ears it delivers on both beautifully.🎶🎶
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    cool Phil, glad to know. Maybe Brian needs to have another shin-dig so we can get our ears on that bad boy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pearsall001
    Options
    cool Phil, glad to know. Maybe Brian needs to have another shin-dig so we can get our ears on that bad boy.

Just buy the damn thing already!!! 🎶👍🎃
  • erniejade
    Options

Bought already! Tony, that might be a possibility 🤔
  • pearsall001
    Options

Bought already! Tony, that might be a possibility 🤔

Yo Tony!!! Did you pick one up yet. You won't regret I 🎶🎶🎶👍👍👍🎃
  • erniejade
    Options
    So far, I am still liking the BP. I still wonder what that 005 sounds like ( the upgrade to my old lks004) when will this upgrade \changing stop!!! LOL

Listen to the BP right now streaming Qobuz though the Innuos Zen mk3. Classic Rock sounds wonderful on it. My nighghbor probably are a bit ticked at me since it's early but,so far, no knock on my front door so, the volume stays where it's at.