RD0-194’s no more?

I’ve been a little out of the loop lately… Does this mean never again? Or is this just a result of the lovely supply chain / pandemic issues…?
a7c3s7p199ry.jpeg
Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I am going to guess the 198's won't be far behind...
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    That's a shame!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • I just ordered 8, 198's. I was holding off for the winter, but it looks like these are drying up.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Yes, maybe it's my ( borderline) obsessiveness but when I updated my SDA 1C's I ordered 8 though I only needed 4 because you just never know about the future.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Thanks for the heads up. I ordered the two I needed (can’t afford 4)…
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    These are the replacements for the tweeters on SDA 2B's, right?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Nevermind, found my copy of Raife's compendium. SDA 2B's used SL2000's so these are the replacements.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Using mine for my 2As
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    Using mine for my 2As

I'm using the 198's in my 2A's as well. Did you use the 5.8 uf cap in the crossovers for them?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    invalid wrote: »
    Using mine for my 2As

I'm using the 198's in my 2A's as well. Did you use the 5.8 uf cap in the crossovers for them?

He is using RD-0194, no he did not but he does have excellent expertly done crossovers ...
    I did them!!
  • invalid wrote: »
    Using mine for my 2As

Not a clue! @pitdogg2 gave them new life many years ago so I defer to him.
  • F1nut
    Jstas wrote: »
    These are the replacements for the tweeters on SDA 2B's, right?

Yep, unless you do the TL upgrade, then you want the RD0198.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    Wonder how much longer the RDO198s will be available? If not long maybe we need to start learning to repair all Polk tweeters instead of replacing...
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    F1nut wrote: »

Thanks Jesse, just snagged a back up pair for a future "just in case"

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited September 2021
    Fyi, Cathy from Speaker Exchange just informed me that my order of 2 RDO-194 tweeters we're being sent directly from Polk. I thought Polk no longer stocked these? I paid more for the tweeters and a whole lot more for shipping to be told Polk will just send them. So what's going on?
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Likewise. I picked up a couple and some 198's. Fedex shows they're shipping from CA.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • F1nut
    Instead of whining here, pick up the phone and call Polk CS.

President of Club Polk

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2021
    LOL. Just confirming/pointing something out. No whining.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • heiney9

So I can be transferred, put on hold for an hour or hung up on several times. I guess the forum is no longer a good source for information. It was just a question, no a whine.
  • heiney9
    Polk has very few tweeters left. As of last night they had 6 in stock. They don't know if they will ever get more. Speaker Exchange put in order for their store and she also requested 2 to be sent to me direct from Polk. So either way I'm covered because I placed my order last night. This information comes from Speaker Exchange.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    @CFarrell_SoundUnited

I can only speak for myself.

I have several pairs of vintage Polk Audio
    Monitor and SDA-SRS speakers that I've partially invested in upgrades
    so far and have other upgrades planned in the future.

I would need many RDO-194 and RDO-198 tweeters.

Many other forum members may have a need for these in the future also.

I understand this is a business decision and want to thank Sound United and Polk
    Audio for supporting their older lines of products for so many years.

Thank you again!
  • F1nut
    heiney9 wrote: »

So I can be transferred, put on hold for an hour or hung up on several times. I guess the forum is no longer a good source for information. It was just a question, no a whine.

Polk announced long ago that they were no longer supporting vintage speakers. Since you seemed to need confirmation I suggested you call because you won't get an answer from them here.

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    Ok, Jesse thanks. It seems I got lucky and was able to get the last of the inventory.
  • F1nut
    What I am surprised about is Midwest saying no more as it was my understanding they intended to keep supplying the tweeters and drivers for the foreseeable future. Perhaps someone could take it upon themselves to query them as to what their story is.

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Ok, Jesse thanks. It seems I got lucky and was able to get the last of the inventory.

I just spent 35 minutes with Polk CS with a "simple inquiry" requesting a pair of RDO194 & 198

CS claims both are in stock and shipping to me in 7-10 days . . . we'll see

Get 'em while you can :#
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • F1nut
    Oh boy, a bunch of mixed info....lol

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Well fudgesicles, I'd better get a few more too..... Sometimes I hate you guys....

Although it was nice to Brock on here, so there's that😁😁
  • heiney9
    Yeah Ivan time flies. I knew they were going to stop support for old speakers. I just didn't realize that much time had passed. Always in the back of my mind I was telling myself to pack some away for a rainy day. The time is now before they are no longer made.

I've not had much going on with the rigs over the Summer, but I do poke my head in here from time to time. There will be some changes coming to the rig this Winter. For sure a new Legend pair and eventually a new Pass amp. Probably the L600's and a Pass XA25.

H9