Vintage Klipsch Heresy Pair

2»

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I forgot to mention, a few that I have talked to said the new Forte IV has more old the version 1 and 2 traits where it can get hot in the top end quick.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    erniejade wrote: »
    Late to the party...

Good thing you're not the DJ.....

Oh wait😂😁😂

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    erniejade wrote: »
    I forgot to mention, a few that I have talked to said the new Forte IV has more old the version 1 and 2 traits where it can get hot in the top end quick.

They are inherently warmer sounding than Cornwalls and Heresies, but less coherent to my ears.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    I was doing some surfing on the web to look for other high-sensitivity speaker designs, interested to find perhaps snazzier driver materials (i.e. aluminum-dome tweeters/midranges for the horn sections, but keep paper woofers for tone).

Some of the other players are: Tannoy, Zu Audio, Tekton, Klipsch (modern Heritage designs), Avantgarde, etc.

New to me is Rival Audio, but they shared Stereophile review link.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/volti-audio-rival-loudspeaker

I have to say these seem more similar to my vintage Heresy pair, than different, in terms of driver technology. While the crossover parts quality seems superior, they measure similar to how the raw (no DIRAC) Heresy sound, but with greater bass depth. These even have the dreadful midrange impedance rise of the Heresy(!).

Even more eery is John Atkinson’s conclusion regarding the Rivals:

“Summing up the Volti Rival's measured performance is difficult: Its perceived balance will depend to a greater degree than usual on the listener's choice of music and the size and acoustics of the room. Against those reservations must be balanced the speaker's extraordinarily high sensitivity. I hate it when an audio writer says, "Listen for yourself"—but in the case of the Rival, that's all I can say.—John Atkinson”

It’s good to know that my hearing of the Heresy resulted in the same conclusion that a seasoned professional reached strictly from measurements of another similar speaker design. Wow! 😎

Other Stereophile measurements for some of the other above-mentioned brands, are much the same, meaning frequency responses that have mountainous peaks and dips throughout the range.

Tekton seemed to measure better than others in certain regards, but also didn’t measure anywhere near the rated sensitivity claims on the model I read about (can’t remember which). Lower sensitivity begs the question whether it should be in this category, but I reserve judgment until I hear them myself.

Maybe someone else could opine on this?

This category really seems niche, if one wants uncalibrated playback. However, I have hope for all of these with calibration; as a matter of fact perhaps these are the ideal candidates for it, as once corrected, incredible fidelity awaits.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Altec.
    'nuff said.
    B)
  • jbreezy5
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    There’s no shortage of opinions on those either, methinks.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    ... and thus do I offer mine.
  • jbreezy5

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    They look like nice Altec's
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.