Polk Monitor 11

I have an early version with the peerless tweeters and 12” radiator. These are keepers so I’d like to recap them. I got the schematics from Polk CS. I can only read the values on one cap as 4.4uF. The schematics say .5uF, 4.9 uF, and 2-45uF’s in each crossover. They recommended Dayton, Solen, or Sonicaps. I was not able to find the correct values in any of those brands. Has anyone recapped these fine speakers, if so which capacitors did you use?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited September 2021
    You'll need to get creative to put the caps and new resistors on the board.
    The 45uf you can get two 22uf caps. They'll be close enough. For the 4.9uf you choices are 4.7 or 5 uf, I'd choose 5uf. .47 is close enough for the .5. these are all from Sonic Craft you could tell Jeff what you need he'll get them as close or right on. I think they are (+/- ) 3-5%

Personally I wouldn't even consider the other two caps.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Don't forget to upgrade the two 4.5 ohm resistors. Get the Vishay-Mills resistors at Sonic Craft while you're getting the caps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• They sound great now can only imagine what they’ll sound like with the new capacitors. Unrestored they sound better than my restored Monitor 10’s. I suspect it’s because of the side by side midwoofers without the dedicated channel and the bigger passive radiator. I opened them up and the acoustic foam looked brand new as well. The cabinets look brand new but have the Rosewood wrap not the beautiful veneer that F1nut’s had.
    These are definitely keepers. Thank you guys for your Polk expertise!
  • i wouldn't mind seeing some pics of these
    M7's 1982 Peerless tweeters
    M5's X2 (1981 Peerless tweeters, 1988 with upgraded tweeters)
    M4's X2 both with Peerless tweeters
    M5Jr with SL1500 (in the garage, they sound great)
    M4.6 series2 X2 with upgraded tweeters
    SDA 2 with upgraded tweeters
  • F1nut
    wispolkboy wrote: »
    i wouldn't mind seeing some pics of these

Search for Monitor 11. I sold a pair here a few years back.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• They’re not as pretty as the real oak veneer, however, there’s always the option of reveneering at some point. I’ve used PSA veneer from Rockler with nice results z7xrn4s4und2.jpg

• F1nut
    Mine were walnut, not oak. I hate oak.

President of Club Polk

• Subjective I guess, I had a pair of speakers with cross cut oak veneer that looked nice but I guess walnut is classic. Heard back from Sonicap CS and they matched the values on the schematics and put together a list for me including the resistors, appreciate the info
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    eekarvon wrote: »
    Subjective I guess, I had a pair of speakers with cross cut oak veneer that looked nice but I guess walnut is classic. Heard back from Sonicap CS and they matched the values on the schematics and put together a list for me including the resistors, appreciate the info

Jeff is good people, if you ever get into a conversation with him....set aside some time, you're talking for a minimum of an hour🙂

The guy is a bottomless pit of information.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    F1nut wrote: »
    wispolkboy wrote: »
    i wouldn't mind seeing some pics of these

Search for Monitor 11. I sold a pair here a few years back.

These are the Monitor 11s I acquired from @F1nut several years ago. IIRC, they were Jesse's father's, a bit modified. They are immaculate, and I enjoy them to this day! Sorry, these are the only pictures I have here on my computer...

zv4h7zifbv2x.jpg
    czja1t4qqxpw.jpg
    wk6u7ig9v0ib.jpg
  • Those are absolutely beautiful. I may remove the vinyl wrap and put some cherry or walnut veneer on my 11’s one day.
    I already ordered caps and resistors from sonicraft. Were there further modifications beyond that on yours?
  • F1nut
    I added Larry's rings and replaced the foam sheet inside. I was going to upgrade the crossovers and binding post as well as add spikes, but never got around to it.

Al, I'm glad they found a good home. You should upgrade those crossovers and spikes would be very beneficial since they are on carpet.

President of Club Polk

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Jesse - I knew you had done some upgrades to the 11s, but couldn't remember. A crossover upgrade is definitely something I'll consider, but will need to get my learn on! Agree on the spikes as a simple upgrade/improvement. New binding posts are something I also want to do since I do switch between these and some 703s. Better binding posts will definitely help. Proud to own these fine speakers. They really complete my modest little 2-channel setup.