New Turntable in the house!

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2021
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

ranf90o2abfh.jpg

OH MY GOD !! You have some of the same CD's I do.....

You have HORRIBLE taste's Sir !!

That top row is kind of miscellaneous, indeed. :p
    It gets worse, though -- I'll leave it at that.
    B)
    jdjohn wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

ranf90o2abfh.jpg

OH MY GOD !! You have some of the same CD's I do.....

You have HORRIBLE taste's Sir !!
    But, but...they're not alphabetized. Well, some of them sorta are??? I can't look!

The nonlinearity manifested by the "organization" of my media drives my son (the mathematician/comp sci/logic guy) absolutely bat-**** crazy. He's been known to conduct Blitzkrieg reorganizational campaigns upstairs when he's been home for a visit. Hilarity ensues. :#
    He also tries to get me to get rid of redundant copies of albums. I don't know why he thinks that having seven or eight copies of various versions of Who's Next on various media is aberrant. :wink: I did get rid of the broken eight-track copy I've had since the early 1970s. I think.

Actually, I might have the tape itself preserved on a 5" tape reel -- now that I think about it.

• I saw this the other day...no affiliation.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649720353-belles-soloist-phono-preamp/

The HK is a nice unit...often described as the poor man's LP12. It does have a light arm though so, probably want to use high compliance carts.

Lots of good info posted on Vinyl Engine for it.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    So this could be my imagination but I bought a new Beatles Revolver "pressed from digital recordings off analog sources" and "meh..." Clearly the goal is to find vintage vinyl cut off master tapes.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2021
    audioluvr wrote: »
    So this could be my imagination but I bought a new Beatles Revolver "pressed from digital recordings off analog sources" and "meh..." Clearly the goal is to find vintage vinyl cut off master tapes.

Yup, it's like buying a DaVinci painting* "photographed from a scanned, touched up with Photoshop, and printed copy of the original painting ". B)

I buy 'em sometimes, too, though, so don't feel too bad about it! :)

• mhardy6647
    Actually, if one is serious about it, the best thing to do is -- just buy a master. Not "the master", but one of the first or second generation copies that were made as backups or to ship to remote pressing plants for (mostly) big sellers. Expensive? Yeah, kind of. ;) But the quality is off the charts.

7mjyfiw9rqtv.jpg

And, of course, one does need to spend a few pence on an appropriate playback machine. B)
  • audioluvr
    You're killing me doc!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The zero dust stylus cleaner isn't necessary unless you're playing dirty records. A little brush is all you need for an occasional dust fiber. The Zerostat is worthless. Once a record has been cleaned and properly stored you shouldn't need to brush the record before playing. However, if I see a speck or two of dust I use canned compressed air. A short blast or two while the record is spinning does the trick.

If you get serious a Vinyl Flat comes in very handy even for new vinyl.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    I think I had a Zerostat back in the day and I kinda remember it made the dust fly off in suspension but then 5 seconds later it all came right back. I like the compressed air idea.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2021
    We used Zerostats in the lab in the winter (especially) to de-static-ize ;) very light fluffy lyophilized (freeze-dried) materials that were otherwise impossible to weigh in the dry B-more winter. The old ones did work; I don't know about the current crop.

There have been two flavors of Milty Zerostat deionizers, AFAIK. The original, and perhaps best, used polonium (or some other relatively safe alpha particle emitter). Alpha particles are helium nuclei, and thus positively charged. In effect, the polonium emits a stream of positive ions.
    There have also been antistatic 'guns' that used piezoelectric elements to generate ions. The positive ions (cations) will locally neutralize the negative charge that builds up on plastic surfaces like PVC. Not sure what happens to the anions (negatively charged ions) produced from the piezo.

:|
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I had to smile when I read this post! Yes I do have a TT (vintage Micro Seiki), but have not seriously added it to the rig. Afraid of yet another rabbit hole! And too many other projects (my new garage for one), to invest time in another. But, time will tell ...
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I don't think it has been stated yet: Rob, what cartridge is installed on your HK tt?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • audioluvr
    Grado gold. Lots of mixed reviews but it sounds great
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• jdjohn
    Oh, that's right...I forgot. The good news is that those Grado carts are supposedly immune to capacitance settings, so that opens up several potential external phonostages/preamps for you :)

Are you still rockin' that Italian Bellari job? :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • audioluvr
    Waiting for my Belles pre to get back from Hi- Tech Audio for it's refresh. But yes, the Rolles is sitting in the box. Right now I'm using the Rotel pre I got here because it has a phono stage. As a pre it's, well,. it works. So I don't want to start reviewing anything until it comes back. In the meantime, I'm setting my standards low and drinking a lot. Seems to work
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr

And you'd think with a name like Bellari Rolles it would be exotic! Nope. Made here in the US. Some exotic state like Utah or Colorado or something. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited September 2021
    I'll never use a carbon fiber brush again for minor pre-play clean up after trying a Record Buddy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z2GZ5N/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_CCG2WGSVQHWXPVM5CF5F
  • audioluvr
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I'll never use a carbon fiber brush again for minor pre-play clean up after trying a Record Buddy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z2GZ5N/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_CCG2WGSVQHWXPVM5CF5F

Damn spammers! Even copied a legit member!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• jdjohn

And you'd think with a name like Bellari Rolles it would be exotic! Nope. Made here in the US. Some exotic state like Utah or Colorado or something. :D
    Or Jersey? :D

I'd bet dimes-to-donuts that the Rotel is better than the Bellari. Will your Belles have a phonostage after refresh? I'd say go ahead and send that Bellari back for a refund while you can.

I could send you a decent external phonostage for contrast/comparison if you are game. We could figure out cost as needed.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Nope. Used an Audioquest carbon fiber brush for years. Tried the vinyl buddy for gits and shiggles and would never go back. Way better.
  • jdjohn
    I use a combination of a carbon fiber brush AND tacky roller like the record/vinyl buddy.
    First, I hold a carbon fiber brush across the grooves while turning the record/platter by hand for several revolutions. This normally leaves a line of dust/debris from the inner label to the edge. COMMENTARY: Unless you live in a hermetically-sealed environment, and no matter how well you clean your vinyl with an RCM, there will ALWAYS be a bit of dust on the vinyl before you play it.

After the carbon fiber brush, I then roll a tacky roller across the line of debris to lift it off the vinyl. My weapon of choice has been this tacky roller from Tonar:
    wqsfu7iajd4f.jpg
    Honestly, it is based on a design my Nagaoka, but works just as well, and is cheaper.

The roller has NO ADHESIVE, but just a tacky nature to it. It can be refreshed periodically, as needed, by running it under warm water. Again, these rollers do NOT have an adhesive on them like lint rollers do, which have sticky tape that has to be peeled off after every use.
  • audioluvr
    edited September 2021
    Well I do have 30 day return policy. I just didn't want to start out with super expensive. Got to start out generic.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• jdjohn
    Well I do have 30 day return policy. I just didn't want to start out with super expensive. Got to start out generic.
    You will have to be much more specific :) Phono preamps range from less than $100, then $100 - $500, $500 -$1000, and beyond. And yes, you get what you pay for.
  • audioluvr
    . And yes, you get what you pay for.

To be determined...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited September 2021

To be determined...

If you can DIY, take a look at Bottlehead phono pre offerings. $406-$825. I have an Eros (50dB gain) and it punches way past its price range. I have a LOMC and use a custom Parks Budgie SUT (step up transformer, passive gain) with the Eros. I've been the high output phono pre way (70dB) but prefer the SUT with MM phono pre. Less noise.

https://bottlehead.com/product-category/kits/phono-preamplifier-kits/
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2021

Utah.
    I bought a Rolls FM microtransmitter for our church so we could do hybrid in-person/Zoom worship during the darkest days (?!) of COVID-19 lockdowns. I was astonished (!) to see it was US made when it arrived.
    As a completely irrelevant aside, it works incredibly well, even when used legally :#, broadcasting a good sounding audio signal that completely covers the church's parking lot. I suspect some of the neighbors pick it up, too :) (and, yes, I tuned it to an blank frequency with no local adjacent channels, just in case!)

bj00iygk1oq4.png

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    What else do I need?

b7ikg6rvwilv.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Love it
    Can’t say enough good things about my journey into analog as well
    I’m hoping you’re having a blast
    Cleaning it is a pain though
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • audioluvr
    Thanks doc! Just picked up a huge pile of cool albums at a garage sale. Good fun!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    This one is awesome!

hp16fyl0heyf.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    You will have to be much more specific :) Phono preamps range from less than $100, then $100 - $500, $500 -$1000, and beyond. And yes, you get what you pay for.

It seems the biggest sonic leap at these price-point groupings comes when one finds a nice phono pre with a proper power supply built-in (i.e. no wall-wart).
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.