SDA SRS v1 - should they really sound this bad???

Comments

• kattz
    kattz Posts: 21
    edited September 2021
    PM sent - your generosity is appreciated!

Thanks!

Kev
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui Definition Series CA-3000 Preamp
    • Sansui Definition Series BA-3000 Amp x 2 running in mono-block config
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
    • Sansui SE-9 CompuEqualizer
    • Technics SP-15 Turntable, both EPA-A250 and EPA-A501H tonearms
    • running Shure Mx97e and Pickering E610 carts on the 250, ADC XLM MkIII on the 501H
    • Akai GX635D R2R Tape Deck
    • Sony Elcaset EL-7 Tape Deck
    • Sansui SA8005 SACD Player
    • Jolida A100 Tube CD Player, tubes roled to NOS 5151 Commanders
    • DCM TF701 Time Frame speakers
    • Bowers and Wilkins DM330 speakers
    • Polk Audio SRS SDA V1 speakers
  • kattz
    I was reassembling the speakers this morning and found that one passive radiator has a 3" crack from edge to edge in it. Used a little super glue to bond it but with that much vibration will not be a permanent fix.

Observations:

Bolts securing the end caps are tight
    There are no gaskets on the drivers or PW anywhere
    The 130uF caps on the SDA are open even though new on both crossovers.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
    • running Shure Mx97e and Pickering E610 carts on the 250, ADC XLM MkIII on the 501H
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Where is the crack in the passive? Can you get a picture?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    The stock gaskets are extremely thin.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kattz
    F1nut wrote: »

No gaskets of any type. Sawdust cabinet grain painted black directly visible.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • kattz
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I'll get a picture. Unfortunately, the super glue turned the black material white. Long as the cover is on I guess no one will see it. But I know it's there.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • F1nut
    kattz wrote: »

No gaskets of any type. Sawdust cabinet grain painted black directly visible.

The gaskets will be stuck to the rim of the baskets. If there is nothing there then that's another air leak issue.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kattz
    There truly is nothing on either the basket or the cabinet. Just one more thing to fix.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • kattz
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I'll get a picture. Unfortunately, the super glue turned the black material white. Long as the cover is on I guess no one will see it. But I know it's there.

It looks like crap because of the super glue, and it doesn't look very large in the photo but it's about three quarters of an inch deep and about 2 in long from edge-to-edge right under the rubber.

hpnwsrldorsk.jpg
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • F1nut
    They've had a rough life, but I believe you are just the man to bring them back up to what they should be. For that, ye shall be rewarded.

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Can you access the tear from the inside? I've used Shoe Goo sparingly to repair surrounds with success. It retains it's flexibility long after repair.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • kattz
    I can try. I should not have used super glue. The crack is mended, however.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • pitdogg2
    I can try. I should not have used super glue. The crack is mended, however.

Yep super glue not the best.
    Most of us use Aleenes craft glue. I'm not sure that would be the correct glue to use there as well.

https://www.aleenes.com/
  • F1nut
    That damage is on the face of the PR not the surround, so what one uses to repair it matters less than if it was the surround.

I would have used a vinyl repair kit, which could match the color and texture. Guys that are really good it those repairs could make the repair almost, if not entirely, disappear.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    They deserve nothing less than figuring out the exact weight of the missing chunk and get out a scale to weigh your glue or vinyl repair kit material so you don't microscopically throw off the tuning.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    I don't think that damage would change the sound unless it is causing air leak
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I see some separation of the surround just to the right of it.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    edited September 2021
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I see some separation of the surround just to the right of it.

Yep I'd hit that with a little contact cement on both sides let dry and push together.
    Toothpick is your friend.
  • Hi Folks

Like kattz, I’m new here too.

In recently considering the sale of my SDA-SRS V1s, I’ve found myself looking at upgrading them instead after having perused this forum.

I read with great interest some of DarqueKnight’s impressive work and would like to install his style crossovers he crafted for his 1.2TLs modified for V1s, but I haven’t the cycles to dedicate to such an effort these days. Per chance I came across a less sophisticated custom crossover offering by loudspeakerchef on eBay. I wonder if he would up his game if he saw DarqueKnight’s stuff. Ready to install is my speed these days.

DarqueKnight’s work on tweeters has me thinking about replacing my SL2000’s (which I haven’t enjoyed) with RDO194s, just in time for them to have seemly gone to unobtainium status. True?

I wanted to follow VR3’s link posted in 2015 to have a look at the SDA-SRS modifications gathered in one place, but it is no longer viable.

Although my V1s are intact, I’ve posted here figuring that I should follow kattz’s progress on his, as I can at least benefit from the suggestions and advice generated. That he so readily had the notion to have crossover boards spun has me wondering about the resources available for such beyond choosing a quick turn online PCB fab to have upgrade boards done. DarqueKnight clearly has that capability established for himself. I could gather the parts needed and tackle the job at a later time. The problem with that notion is that such a time would likely be too much later.

In any case I would appreciate any comments/thoughts my post may inspire.

Thanks!

-Marc

P.S. oaktreevintage.com says that the adhesive used to secure the magnet structure to the back plate of the frame in 6500 series drivers is now decades old and subject to failure from the shock of handling the speaker cabinet such as when moving it and even normal use, causing voice coil seizure and shorting. They post this note: “We now 'proactively' add 'liquid metal' epoxy to all of our Polk 6000 series drivers to eliminate the possibility (likelihood) of 'magnet shift'.” Comments please.
  • pitdogg2
    Hi Folks

Like kattz, I’m new here too.

In recently considering the sale of my SDA-SRS V1s, I’ve found myself looking at upgrading them instead after having perused this forum.

I read with great interest some of DarqueKnight’s impressive work and would like to install his style crossovers he crafted for his 1.2TLs modified for V1s, but I haven’t the cycles to dedicate to such an effort these days. Per chance I came across a less sophisticated custom crossover offering by loudspeakerchef on eBay. I wonder if he would up his game if he saw DarqueKnight’s stuff. Ready to install is my speed these days.

DarqueKnight’s work on tweeters has me thinking about replacing my SL2000’s (which I haven’t enjoyed) with RDO194s, just in time for them to have seemly gone to unobtainium status. True?

I wanted to follow VR3’s link posted in 2015 to have a look at the SDA-SRS modifications gathered in one place, but it is no longer viable.

Although my V1s are intact, I’ve posted here figuring that I should follow kattz’s progress on his, as I can at least benefit from the suggestions and advice generated. That he so readily had the notion to have crossover boards spun has me wondering about the resources available for such beyond choosing a quick turn online PCB fab to have upgrade boards done. DarqueKnight clearly has that capability established for himself. I could gather the parts needed and tackle the job at a later time. The problem with that notion is that such a time would likely be too much later.

In any case I would appreciate any comments/thoughts my post may inspire.

Thanks!

-Marc

P.S. oaktreevintage.com says that the adhesive used to secure the magnet structure to the back plate of the frame in 6500 series drivers is now decades old and subject to failure from the shock of handling the speaker cabinet such as when moving it and even normal use, causing voice coil seizure and shorting. They post this note: “We now 'proactively' add 'liquid metal' epoxy to all of our Polk 6000 series drivers to eliminate the possibility (likelihood) of 'magnet shift'.” Comments please.

It may be better to start your own thread so not to muck up the OP's for his (speaker) problems.
  • F1nut
    There is no such thing as the SDA SRS V1. It's just the SDA SRS.

President of Club Polk

• Ok, thanks, I took my cue from the title of this thread.
  • F1nut
    Ok, thanks, I took my cue from the title of this thread.

The RD0194 is available here, https://reconingspeakers.com/product/polk-sl1000-sl2000-tweeter/

Midwest is sold out and apparently will not restock.

Yes, you need to glue your magnets.

Talk to member westmassguy about doing your crossovers.

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270

Not trying to hijack this thread, but is polk not making the RD0194 and RD0198 tweeters anymore?
  • F1nut
    Polk is no longer supporting the vintage speakers.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Polk is no longer supporting the vintage speakers.

That is sad news, but what is most commendable is that they supported them for 40 years!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • polkintheribs
    polkintheribs Posts: 4
    edited September 2021
    Ok, thanks, I took my cue from the title of this thread.

The RD0194 is available here, https://reconingspeakers.com/product/polk-sl1000-sl2000-tweeter/

Yes, you need to glue your magnets.

Talk to member westmassguy about doing your crossovers.

Thanks again. Due to the silence after my post, I did some more forum digging, which led me to contact him on my own. David (nice guy) confirmed the magnet gluing as well, something I will do immediately, whether I keep or sell them. Oaktreevintage.com doesn't reveal what adhesive they use, writing:

"...using a 'liquid metal' epoxy, such as JB weld (but NOT 'JB Weld', as there's one that works better for a couple of reasons) around the seams between the magnets and plates..."

I imagine they won't say if I ask them. What is the recommended epoxy? I guess one that wicks readily between parts. Although it seems straight forward, has a procedure been established?
  • F1nut
    It doesn't need to wick, just needs to secure the plates and magnet. JB Weld works perfectly.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    It doesn't need to wick, just needs to secure the plates and magnet. JB Weld works perfectly.

Ok, thanks, once I pull one I expect that will be obvious.