SDA SRS v1 - should they really sound this bad???

kattz
kattz Posts: 21
edited August 2021 in Vintage Speakers
Hello all,

New here.

I got these SRS SDA speakers from a "vintage audio dealer", claims that they were recapped, I need to pull the crossovers and verify that they didn't jack things around. He also claimed that they replaced "at least one SDA driver in each cabinet with a comparable one from Parts Express".

I am running these in mono-block config now, no SDA cable connected. But when my G-9000DB receiver was running these and using the SDA cable, no difference could be heard.

Sorry to F1Nut, he's already heard me ranting...

These speakers sound truly heinous. Light low end, crackling highs, weak mids. Sounds like someone tossed a bag of marbles in there.

The boxes are sealed. Tapping on a mid causes the passive radiator to flex in time with the finger tapping...

I plan on pulling the crossovers. Is there a step up? The SDA upgrade link page takes me to an Indian hacker website...

Cheers!

Kev
Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
  • Sansui Definition Series CA-3000 Preamp
  • Sansui Definition Series BA-3000 Amp x 2 running in mono-block config
  • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • Sansui SE-9 CompuEqualizer
  • Technics SP-15 Turntable, both EPA-A250 and EPA-A501H tonearms
  • running Shure Mx97e and Pickering E610 carts on the 250, ADC XLM MkIII on the 501H
  • Akai GX635D R2R Tape Deck
  • Sony Elcaset EL-7 Tape Deck
  • Sansui SA8005 SACD Player
  • Jolida A100 Tube CD Player, tubes roled to NOS 5151 Commanders
  • DCM TF701 Time Frame speakers
  • Bowers and Wilkins DM330 speakers
  • Polk Audio SRS SDA V1 speakers

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Post pics. Are you using the stock SL-2000's? Check to see if the edges have separated and use a paper towel roll (at low volume) to listen to each tweeter/ driver individually. Then pull the passive radiator and post pics of the crossovers so we can get a peek.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    There are no "comparable drivers" from parts express. using one is a bone headed move. I betting more than one magnet has moved enough to contact the voice coil. Do all drivers move freely with no scratching? If they do not move freely do not force it. You also cannot tap on a driver to check for air leaks.

Yes pictures of the crossover would be very helpful
  • kattz
    I'll do it tonight. Tweeters are SL2000's. Need to go to something else.
    Because I want to use the SDA circuit, thinking of biamping the speakers to low/mid on one amp and highs on other amp. In this configuration, each amp is common ground, which the tweeters don't care about. Amps have level control. This means 170 watts of power per channel per amp. Monoblocks put out 340 watts per channel. I don't think they can be bridged. Output levels are adjustable.

Full disclosure, the preamp and amps need a complete refurb. This might be part of the issue but these amps still have a pretty clean output.

Here is a pic of the units when I purchased them. Thanks!

udcz0uzlcgtl.jpg
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
    • running Shure Mx97e and Pickering E610 carts on the 250, ADC XLM MkIII on the 501H
  • kattz
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    There are no "comparable drivers" from parts express. using one is a bone headed move. I betting more than one magnet has moved enough to contact the voice coil. Do all drivers move freely with no scratching? If they do not move freely do not force it. You also cannot tap on a driver to check for air leaks.

I agree about Parts Express.

Regarding the air leak check, it works... tap on one of the midwoofers and you can see the passive radiator move. I originally thought the cabinets were leaking air, hence the crappy bass response.

I will check the drivers for scratching noises as well. Thanks for the insight!

Kev

Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    That is not how to test for air leaks, this is.

Push the PR in and while holding it in watch the mid-drivers. They should pop out and slowly recede taking 3 to 5 seconds to rest.

I guarantee that your loose end caps are leaking air.

You need to completely go over the speakers/crossovers before thinking about how to drive them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kattz
    OK, so. Every driver is Polk. No Parts Warehouse. Confirmed.
    One PR is dented, but only on the face. I think maybe melted by a soldering iron?
    I pushed in each of the drivers. If pushed in with a finger on each side of the cone, no noise.
    Pulled the PR on the left channel. What's with all of the hotmelt glue on the binding post cup?
    F1nut, in answer to your PM, looking from the rear of the cabinet, the red binding post is on the right.
    These are the infamous 2000-series tweeters. One has been changed
    And on to the crossovers - yep, it's different! Pics attached.

Kev

81h9gp67xapl.jpg

wkq3s10z08v9.jpg

l1jw0oqkmfhh.jpg

juvfufppsku0.jpg

gx8udu5uqni2.jpg

2ezo03uyrdap.jpg

c7crrdu3h5mo.jpg

p0nyr6r61ccc.jpg

vdmvg2t0a1pb.jpg

ll5cp0rgzage.jpg

7rkn9jfsoaai.jpg
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2021
    Dayton and Solen😖😖😖.
    If you're going to do a recap why not change the old resistors out for better as well? I mean you're there and they're inexpensive.

It's important to have a very well sealed cabinet so Polk sealed the binding post cup to prevent leaks around the binding post.
    A leaky cabinet will affect bass response(less) and can also allow excessive driver excursion.
  • kattz
    The i***t who recapped them also burned some of the pads off of the crossover board.

The reference to Parts Express was the recap. The seller obviously didn't know anything about what he was selling. And I didn't know what I was trading a perfectly good Sansui 9090DB for either.

I feel stupid.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    One thing a quick read of your thread did catch my eye... are you running one amp each to the speakers? The BA3000 is a beast of an amp, but your SDA version is not capable of being driven by monoblocks. They need to see a common ground amplifier, which means a rather robust stereo amp.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kattz
    If anyone would like to volunteer information, I'm having two new crossover boards printed. I can design the boards based on the original schematic, but what's the right parts to use today? PM would be appreciated.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • pitdogg2
    kattz Posts: 5
    6:22PM
    The i***t who recapped them also burned some of the pads off of the crossover board.

Well then I've have to say that could be responsible for the problems you're experiencing.
  • kattz
    One thing a quick read of your thread did catch my eye... are you running one amp each to the speakers? The BA3000 is a beast of an amp, but your SDA version is not capable of being driven by monoblocks. They need to see a common ground amplifier, which means a rather robust stereo amp.

I was, without SDA. Not now. And with or without SDA, they are clipping something fierce.

Once I get this mess straightened out (and at this point I might just put them on Craigslist, I'm so angry), I will probably drive them bi-amped.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • kattz
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    kattz Posts: 5
    6:22PM

Well then I've have to say that could be responsible for the problems you're experiencing.

You should see this board up close. Components missing, and what's there doesn't seem close.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • F1nut
    Dayton/Bennic and Solen are likely the two worst choices for replacement caps.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kattz
    I would not have chosen them.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • kattz
    I gotta ask a really stupid question: What keeps me from putting 1.2TL crossovers in these? I know that the drivers are different. Difference? Magic smoke runs out? "Not only no but..." I already have to scrap the crossover boards.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I can't see the damage to the pcb but you could careful scrape off the coating on the trace and extend a lead to it or use a short piece of speaker wire as a jumper. Also if you redo the crossovers don't put a cap right next to a resistor. They are sensitive to heat and the resistor makes heat.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • kattz
    I was looking at the caps. What is the recommended voltage on replacement caps?
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2021
    kattz wrote: »
    I was looking at the caps. What is the recommended voltage on replacement caps?

200v is what most will use. Some brands only come in higher voltages.
    100v IIRC is stock voltage

1.2 cabinets are different wood and made differently.
    Too costly to change IMHO
  • F1nut
    I gotta ask a really stupid question: What keeps me from putting 1.2TL crossovers in these? I know that the drivers are different. Difference? Magic smoke runs out? "Not only no but..." I already have to scrap the crossover boards.

In addition to what Ivan said about the cabinets....the only things the 2 models have in common are 4 mid-drivers and the PR. Even the position of the binding posts are different. Fix what you have.

President of Club Polk

• Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    edited August 2021
    These speakers sound truly heinous. Light low end, crackling highs, weak mids. Sounds like someone tossed a bag of marbles in there.

Qualities, this bad, can only come from something really damaged or leads or component failures on the crossover board.

My bet, you will need to check each driver, and every trace on the crossover board.

Dayton and Solen caps "alone" may alter the sound of the treble some for sure, but not make it crackle and all the stuff you mentioned.

I also see quite a bit of Rust on some of the SL2000 screws. Not a good thing, as it means they may have been subject to high humidity or dampness for some time.

These should sound quite good, not like a bag of marbles...lol

Good luck, a huge project ahead. Wish I could help you, it is easy work, but just tedious and very time consuming. :)
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    It would probably be easier to start over, and build new crossovers with new PCB's or point to point wiring.
  • kattz
    edited August 2021
    invalid wrote: »
    It would probably be easier to start over, and build new crossovers with new PCB's or point to point wiring.
    That's the plan...
    I notice that many are installing 400V and 600V caps in their systems. However, Humble Homemade Hifi did an extensive study of cap makers and their various offerings. Almost every cap that received the highest review are 100V caps. Perhaps using higher voltage caps is not the best idea? Would be interested in other's thoughts on this.
    Also wanted to add that, using Ohm's Law, using my BA-3000 amps in monoblock (yes, I know it won't work, speaking as an example only), the BA-3000 amp outputs a maximum of 340W into 8Ω.
    That equals a maximum forward voltage of 52.1536192V. Formula = voltage V in volts (V) is equal to the square root of the power P in watts (W) times the resistance R in ohms (Ω). Even at 1000W, I can't push the voltage more than 64-65V using either 4Ω or 8Ω.
    So why the huge caps? Not saying anyone is wrong, but the math just doesn't work IMO. Maybe I'm missing something?
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • pitdogg2
    invalid wrote: »

That's the plan...

I notice that many are installing 400V and 600V caps in their systems. However, Humble Homemade Hifi did an extensive study of cap makers and their various offerings. Almost every cap that received the highest review are 100V caps. Perhaps using higher voltage caps is not the best idea? Would be interested in other's thoughts on this.

Higher voltage caps are HUUUUGE and a pain to fit sometimes. If you can most aftermarket caps we use are 200v and more than enough voltage room. Clarity and Sonicaps are two of the most tried and true used. The one thing about Sonicaps is they have the exact values needed for Polk speakers.

Some of us here are very familiar with the Humble HiFi page. Lots of good info.
  • kattz
    Also, there should be nine caps on the board according to the schematic. I only have six. There are some jumpers installed and some open holes.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • F1nut
    You can eliminate the two 750pF bypass caps when upgrading to film caps as was done, so there should be 7 caps total. Most eliminate the polyswitch and replace with either a jumper or better yet a .5 ohm resistor to make up the resistance value of the polyswitch.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Looking at your pics, I believe you are missing one 130uF cap.

President of Club Polk

• kattz
    The polyswitch is gone.
    Kevin in SW Ohio

Hardware:
    • Sansui TU-9900 Tuner
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    F1nut wrote: »
    Looking at your pics, I believe you are missing one 130uF cap.

Just going from memory, but is that the 130uf cap that allows bass to the dimensional array under 150Hz or so?
  • F1nut
    edited August 2021
    The two 130uF caps are in parallel.

President of Club Polk