Carver Amazing Silver Speaker Question

Anyone here had experience with the Carver Amazing ? I know a few things about them well, I have read a few things about them anyway. Need high power/current amplifier / need to be away from the back wall/ careful with the ribbons, such as that. I am wondering about the silver / platinum thing. I have a chance to buy a set of silver. What is the difference between silver and platinum upgrade ? What was the top of the line amazing ?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    What is the difference between silver and platinum upgrade ? What was the top of the line amazing ?
    It's not an upgrade, it's a different speaker. The Platinum Mk IV was the TOTL.

The Silver is a smaller version of the Platinum versions. The ribbon is 48" instead of 60" and there are 3 woofers instead of 4.

It doesn't matter how much juice you throw at them they will never rock out as they are not a dynamic speaker. When pushed too hard you'll likely blow a ribbon or two. The woofer surrounds are foam and if they haven't been replaced are likely close to or will be rotted out.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,226
    Ahh, OK. I was hoping you would respond as I know you have had experience with these. I see now that the silver is a smaller version of the amazing speaker line. As far as rocking out I think I have that covered with another system. Re-foaming I can do that myself if the proper parts are still available. Parts, that is one thing that concerns me. Have no idea what is available but it would not be the first speaker I ever bought that parts were hard to source. That I guess would be OK. I usually do not have new speaker cash and I like doing a lot of the work myself anyhow. Thanks @F1nut as always.
  • F1nut
    This place carries OEM replacement woofers and surrounds. Everything is out of stock right now, they often are. It's all from China. There are other places that sell the surrounds, but I'm not sure they are made the same. The OEM surrounds are very unique in form and function.

https://dynavox.com/Carver-Amazing-Loudspeaker-Woofer-Repair

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VSAT88
    Pretty certain I would want to and need to replace the surrounds with surrounds that have pretty much exact OEM compliance especially after I have done a bit of reading about this speaker. I may need to just listen to Willie Nelson the rest of the day on Dr. Wu's SDA-CRS's and forget about these. Have not heard back from him anyhow. Thanks again.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    My advice? Unless you get a pair of Plat's in mint condition and verified working? Pass.

There was a time when these were considered a "must own".

That time has passed.....IMO. I was never thrilled with the original "Amazings" or the Plat's. The Amazings were in my rig for less than a week. That's the shortest amount of time ANY speaker has ever adorned any of my rigs.

Added note. There is a worldwide/national shortage of foam products right now, so the waiting on a driver with the surround will be longer than usual times. Maybe much longer. So, if it isn't already what you want and in perfet working order? Again, I'd say pass. FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VSAT88
    Exactly. Thanks I appreciate it.
  • F1nut
    One strong suit of the Plats is they have bowling alley depth. You can tell what's up front and what's towards the rear in the soundstage. That makes them amazing :)

President of Club Polk

• VSAT88
    Yes, had a suspicion that I might need go to the platinum if I were to get a set of the amazing speakers. You guys confirmed it. That's what's so amazing about Club Polk.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Agreed, Jesse but.....

...with a caveat. At Ted's and with an awesome end game type of front end??? No depth. They do need room to breathe.

At CF one year I saw Skip put on that song that had the cannon blast.....oh, I can't remember the song. 1812 Overture or something like that. He played it on LP.

While I was VERY surprised that the record player did not skip at that volume? That isn't what amazed me. What amazed me was that he had it up so loud, I knew he was going to blow the speakers. (I believe he had the Plat's on this one)

What amazed me is that during the cannon blasts? You could physically see the cloth move up and down during the cannon blasts with the frequencies. This was (is) the ONLY time I have ever seen any system do that, ever. No exceptions. THAT was a sight to behold.

He had that one set up with Carver 9t's, his LP player in WS11 (my cabin when you were there), set up directly in front of the stone fireplace. This was back when /mx was going to CF and was a member over at the Carver forum.

I believe the speakers were brought down by Magnaryder and we just built the system on site with what we had.

Fun times....!!!!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VSAT88
    Now this is getting crazy. I must be supposed to buy some amazings ?? I found another set right under my nose here in my home town. These are the Carver Amazing AL III Plus. Anyone know these as opposed to the Amazing Silver ? Dude with the Amazing Silver set did get back with me..Lordy !
  • F1nut
    48" ribbon with one 12" woofer. The AL III was better than the + version as corners were cut on that one. The only pair I've heard had a pool table in the middle of the room, which seriously screwed up the presentation.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    For all the amazing series the tweeter seems to be the weak part. Parts and places that can fix them are very hard to find. The AL lll I heard in the room I heard it was a very nice presentation. At one time there was also a woofer upgrade on YT where they replaced the stock woofers with Infinity woofers I'm betting those are also unobtainable now as well.
    Unless they are darn near free it's best to avoid at this point in time. At one time @ALL212 (Aaron) had some amazings and his also had tweeter sizzle in certain frequencies due to needing work.
    Do not know what ever happened to his
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    I do!!

Send the woofs over to BillG at Millersound. It's gonna cost a bit because you've got a pile of 'em but he does an amazing ;) job with them. check to insure the magnets are still attached to the baskets - they tend to come lose.

I got new ribbons put in old frames...somewhere on the east cost. It's been years so I have no contact info there or even if he's still in business. No issues with those at all even to this day and they are used daily at my sons house.

Sound was very good and they do need space. It's been long enough I'm not going to voice in on what I heard - no memories. My next set of speakers went to Odyssey Audio and I've moved through that lineup until I reached the top of that pile and I have no desire to move onward.

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2021
    As has been alluded to the Silvers and the Plats are two different animals.....cut from same cloth

Imperfect and VERY fussy speakers but given proper setup and care can reward you in ways that few other speak can. People can/have scoffed at the Carver ribbon.....but, it was good enough for Arnie Nudell and Paul McGowan to put in the first Genesis 1 loudspeakers.....

I have had good luck with the Amazings in my small room, less so in the larger living room.

The inevitable maintenance required would certainly give me pause.....but, in order of desirability, Plat MkIv, Silver MkIV, AL III, non MkIV Plats, Silvers....and finally the Original Amazing. I’d avoid those unless you own a nuclear power plant. You can’t buy enough amp to drive those bastahds.

I
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    edited August 2021
    Also, there was a pair of Silvers on the Atlanta Craigslist a couple days ago....with boxes for (I think) 700....if I didn’t have the stable full, I’d bag them on principle

EDIT:
    https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/d/tucker-carver-amazing-silver-speakers/7367536186.html
  • VSAT88
    Troy those are the ones I was looking at buying. The other set is in Phenix City and they are nice too. They are the III plus though.
  • TroyD
    I’d probably go with the Silvers as those are the latest version (with the level controls on the back….the AL III is no slouch, but one bass driver per side limits a man’s horizons. 3 12” drivers per side blowing your hair back is manly. (Paraphrasing George Grand)

If you bag the Silvers and don’t like them, I’ll buy them from you. Seriously.