Testing - Member Introduction

One of our esteemed fellow members encouraged me to post something, ANYTHING on the Forum, since I have really just been a fly on the wall since joining last year.

Actually, I have posted something before. I was lucky enough for member @markmarc to trust a newbie and make a sale to me. (I still use the phono cartridge I bought from him regularly!)

Anyhow, this is posted in the testing area for that reason...to test putting a first post out there. I certainly don't expect anyone to reply.

About me... I have been a lifelong music lover, starting with live music and blaring music in my car or bedroom as a kid. That was decades ago, and I find myself using headphones mostly when I want a real listening sesh (as the kids say...or do they?) plugged into my modest setup. But I am one who always wants background music, so it's pretty much constantly playing over speakers in the living room.

A few years ago my drug of choice became vinyl (though I'm quite the bourbon lover too, which, unfortunately here in Houston has become the "it" thing, which makes things that much harder...but I digress). One day I woke up at 40 and decided I was going to buy some records to play on our cheapie turntable. I was immediately hooked. I started buying records every chance I got, bought a nice turntable, soon followed by a better, more expensive turntable, half a dozen mid-range carts, cables, electronics, and on and on. At some point, my wife had to put her foot down, which in retrospect I am thankful for, but often it creates a roadblock to buying things I really want (want, don't NEED, I'm reminded).

So now I spend my free time playing with my young kids, sipping bourbon (not while playing, mind you), listening to music, and occasionally skimming forums such as this for edutainment.

My parting thought (on a post nobody will ever read) is that it feels like you all know each other. And you do, because I see lots of the same names, from those who have posted thousands of times. I'll be honest...it is intimidating, and I imagine it will be very unlikely I'll reach that same level in this community. I don't have a history of buying speakers or equipment that made such an impression on me that I still remember the model number. I wish I did. I'm not an engineer who knows about circuits or crossovers. I wish I did. I'm too timid to bust a complete stranger's balls for a post I could probably bust balls about. I wish I wasn't.

So, the reality is, I will probably go back to being a wallflower, because I have nothing valuable to add. I'll look for an opportunity to post something smart/funny/helpful, because there really may become a time when lightning strikes. But I hope it's okay if I hang back until that time comes. I know it's better to be a contributor, but I'm the kind of guy who took his parents' advice seriously, and if I have nothing (nice) to say, I say nothing at all.

Rest assured I am a real live person named Tim who takes reputation and trust very seriously. I like to pay quickly (and receive what I pay for quickly). I get a kick out of reading many posts throughout the Forum, as well as learn quite a bit, too.

Hopefully I have the chance to interact act with many of you. And some day you can consider me a Polkie.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Welcome aboard! All of us here were you at one time. I was lucky enough to meet up with a bunch of guys at the Axpona event for a few years. Great times!
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited August 2021
    Great post. I think it took me about a year to reach 100 posts because I felt I was being judged by each post. Once you've been here awhile, you'll feel comfortable commenting on how cold your coffee was this morning. Over time, you'll see that some people only join to ask one question and leave or to try and sell something. Best advice I can give is keep an open mind. When I joined I learned that everything I thought I knew about audio was wrong and I didn't know much. There are members here that can help on many topics, not just audio... cooking, photography, wood furniture, cars, remodeling, physical ailments, civil disorder, insanity.
    jmy0vf7rfpc3.png
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2021
    Hey, Tim. Welcome to the club. I've been a member since 2009 and, like you, have done more reading than contributing but somehow have just short of 1.2K posts. You've typed a fine introduction for someone that's reserved. List your gear and maybe post a pic or two to continue your roll...

John
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I’ve been a member for close to 10 years. At times, I have been very active and lately family life has dictated not so much. However, I still check in most days.

This place is a few iterations from the true brother/sister hood that made it really feel like family, but still one of the best forums around.

I have 3 little-ish ones, and enjoy bourbon as well, so welcome to the club.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Welcome, Tim. Jump in, the water's warm.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Welcome to Club Polk.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Nice first post, welcome to the forum!
  • n9omtrh1vp0c.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! I really did expect NOBODY to read my post, but I'm glad I put it out there. I'm already feeling the love.

@JayCee suggested I post a pic. What you see there is my happy place. With very active 4- and 6-year-olds we have succumbed to the "we can't have nice things" way of life. But there are a few off-limits spots, this being one.

As mentioned, I typically throw on the headphones. Sit back on the couch for short escapes from the hustle and bustle. For me I tried a lot of turntables out. Since this "hobby" started only a few years ago, I am a little embarrassed to say I went through four turntables in about a year. Thankfully I bought good ones and took care of them and was able to resell them at basically what I paid.

I don't know how much people get into turntables in this forum, so if you're not interested, stop reading now....

I'd like to share my turntable "progression," because for those of you who are into that sort of thing probably have an opinion on belt-drive (or idler wheel) versus direct drive. My journey was an inadvertent exploration of both, and I ultimately found what sounds best TO ME.

I started with a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I soon upgraded with an acrylic platter and Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. I loved it and was quickly hooked, but I know most of you know something about rabbit holes....

Next, I bought a Rega Planar 1. I know, not really an upgrade from the mods to the Pro-Ject, but I had "heard such great things." Still had the Pro-Ject. Compared/contrasted, and considered tweaks to the P1 or moving up in Regas. Ultimately I chose to quickly sell it. I researched "better" turntables, looking for the best bang for the buck.

Upgraded to a Marantz TT-15S1. I rarely use the word "sexy," but if you've never seen one in person, that is the best way to describe it, in my opinion. Loved the looks. Sounded great. Bought all kinds of cartridges to find my perfect sound.

But I stumbled on the belt- versus direct-drive debate. Commenced researching best bang for the buck. Had to be a Technics. But choose a modded SL-1200 MK2 or buy new like I had been? Buy new. The SL-1200 MK7 or the SL-1500c? I went for the former. I know it has its shortcomings, but...

I LOVED IT. I still don't know why. But to me the sound was--is--perfect. Two years later I still love it. No matter what cart I put on it, and no matter what record I play, it sounded better than the Marantz. The Marantz has been sold.

And that's how I learned I'm a Direct Drive Guy.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    There's a TT15-S1 sittin' in its original packaging at my house. Remarkably mediocre when all is said & done.

12877794893_74ddf705f7_c.jpgTT15S12 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

You've chosen wisely, I'd opine (and FWIW).
    After decades with belt drive tts, I ultimately went the DD route myself, to my own surprise.

35863954672_f7f79f244a_b.jpgDSC_8876 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• Great to hear I'm not alone, @mhardy6647 !
  • I like your Clever Clamp, by the way. One comes with the Marantz turntable (as you know), and I liked it so much I bought one after I sold that turntable. Seems like a silly thing to spend thirty bucks on a piece of plastic, but it really does its job!
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    What you see there is my happy place.
    Nice "happy place". Used to rep for Technics and sold tons of SL-1210 Mk II's back in the mid 80's. DJ's always purchased 2 at a time. In fact, could never get management to order enough to keep in stock. Still have my first (and only) TT, although not used, a Technics SL-QL1 (linear tracking).

Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Hi Tim, welcome.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Welcome Tim, nice rig!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2