Polk sda srs first gen

Options
I just picked a set of these up. Tweeters are stamped with date code 1987 and are spade spade on the interconnect so sure on them being the very first gen sda srs. I got them running on a yamaha mx 1000u and they sound good and get loud. However the quality isn't as good as a set of fluance signature speakers I was using before getting them which I can only figure is the age of the crossovers. I got the crossover pulled out of one and jfc! Those caps are huge. I can't find any info on replacement parts for the originals can anyone please help me?
16lctsnxmq9b.jpg
01q41l3i7p2y.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited August 2021
    Options
    The black caps are not original and neither is the purple wire. If they don't sound good it's likely whomever did the work screwed up somewhere. The schematic is posted here, so can start checking things out.

You should also verify that your amp is common ground. I take it you have the SDA cable?

All that stuff in front of the speakers isn't helping. SDA speakers need open space.

In addition, proper set up is 5 to 6 inches off the back wall, 6 to 8 feet apart and at least 3 feet from any side wall.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dcperdue
    Options
    Ok after doing some research all the caps accept the 2 on the left which I think were never replaced are all axon caps and polk didn't ever use axon caps. Should I just keep those and replace the 2 blue ones on the left? And what do I bypass to stop my tweeters from cutting out?
  • dcperdue
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The black caps are not original and neither is the purple wire. If they don't sound good it's likely whomever did the work screwed up somewhere. The schematic is posted here, so can start checking things out.

You should also verify that your amp is common ground. I take it you have the SDA cable?

All that stuff in front of the speakers isn't helping. SDA speakers need open space.

In addition, proper set up is 5 to 6 inches off the back wall, 6 to 8 feet apart and at least 3 feet from any side wall.

Yes all yamaha m series amps are common ground and I got it set on 2 ohms and it never goes into clipping. I seen a dyno on it and it hits 3000w at 2 ohms without effort. I ordered the resisters to bypass the tweeter cutoff. And already replaced 2 tweeters that were blown with the polk black replacements. I think I'm just going to replace all the tweeters as I'm getting lower and higher sound from them all. The new black one match tho. And yes the sda cable I'm using is in mint condition. The speakers are also in mint condition and just noticed the magnets have already been glued to the baskets to avoid magnet shift. I only paid 800 for the pair. And thats all the room I have. I could swap positions with the polk subs so they are farther away from the walls if that would help. Thanks for the help.
  • F1nut
    Options
    It's resistor.

Try the 4 ohm setting.

Definitely swap the subs/speakers and get rid of the EQ. Can you move the sofa on the left so that it's not right in front of the speaker?

Smart move to replace all of those nasty SL2000 tweeters with the RD0194.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Looks like the previous owner already replaced one SL2000 for a RD0194 per side:
    lmsxdyguzpr2.png

WTF?
  • dcperdue
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Looks like the previous owner already replaced one SL2000 for a RD0194 per side:
    lmsxdyguzpr2.png

WTF?

I replaced them because they were blown. I'm going to order 6 more tomorow and replace them all.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    dcperdue wrote: »
    Ok after doing some research all the caps accept the 2 on the left which I think were never replaced are all axon caps and polk didn't ever use axon caps. Should I just keep those and replace the 2 blue ones on the left? And what do I bypass to stop my tweeters from cutting out?

You need to find the Polk SDA SRS schematic which is here:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/55888/polk-audio-speaker-wiring-schematics-amp-more-stereo-dimensional-array-sda#latest

Then you need to compare the values printed on the caps (i.e., 20uf) to what the schematic says. If you can't figure that out, suggest you list the values here from left to right in your picture above. Folks here can tell you if there is a discrepancy.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Nice score on the SRS's! Welcome to Club Polk.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • dcperdue
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I got all the tweeters replaced and bypassed the tweeter cutoff with a resister. I found 2 wires unhooked from some sort of bridge the guy made. I soldered then together and taped them up and they sound much better now. I still don't think they sounds as good as mt fluance or the set of bowers I picked up so probably going to sell them. They definitely don't belong in a 12.2 atmos setup even after running audessy movies sound pretty bad.
  • F1nut
    Options
    You need to compare the schematic to what you have as something is very wrong for you to think they don't sound as good as the speakers you mentioned.
    They definitely don't belong in a 12.2 atmos setup even after running audessy movies sound pretty bad.

Well duh. SDA's are meant for 2 channel music. Besides that, due to the way SDA works running Audessy on them is worthless.

In addition, if you are mixing and matching various brands of speakers in a 12.2 HT rig it will never sound as good as it could.

President of Club Polk