Innuos Streamers

Options
13»

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Zen mk3 2tb owner here. I found it easy to use and sounds wonderful. The new 2.0 app for the Zen is out next week. I am very excited about this .

Do you need the internal drive and ripper? The Zen is usb output only.

The lumin would give you more output choices and does a wonderful job streaming. Is Tidal or MQA important to you?

What would sound better? It's a toss up. The Zen does a better job at playing from its internal drive vs playing from a Nas on the lumin but, for Qobuz it's a toss up. Supposedly on the 2.0 app, this is suppose to sound better so in week I can report back.

The lunin app has been rock solid. For the Zen, I have been using Ipeng and it is OK but, the edge on the app goes to Lumin for now. I'm hopping this changes next week when the Zen gets the update.

I got my Zen from Skip. Skip does sell both Innuos and Lumin.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Thanks very much @erniejade for your input. My plan is to copy the SSD content from my Nativ Vita to a new streamer like the Zen MkIII. I don't think the Lumin U1has any internal storage. As far as digital outputs, the default would be USB from streamer to the Benchmark DAC3.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Still enjoying my Zen MK3 every day. I stream Qobuz with no issues via Roon. I can't distinguish a CD rip from the same bit rate as a Qobuz stream. I was on the fence between the MK3 and the lumin U1 Mini. For MY needs, I believe the MK3 was the best choice of the two.

Have a friend who only streams Tital via the U1 Mini into a Terminator, into a Tube Integrated, through a pair of DeVore 0/93's. Very engaging set up.

Can't loose with either of these streamers :)
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Thanks for the input, Mike. I popped on a used Zen MkIII today. Looking forward to trying it out...especially with the new software about to come out.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • erniejade
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Thanks for the input, Mike. I popped on a used Zen MkIII today. Looking forward to trying it out...especially with the new software about to come out.

New software is out today for the Zen!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Thanks very much @erniejade for your input. My plan is to copy the SSD content from my Nativ Vita to a new streamer like the Zen MkIII. I don't think the Lumin U1has any internal storage. As far as digital outputs, the default would be USB from streamer to the Benchmark DAC3.

I had my music on a usb drive and imported it into the Zen. it was fast and easy and it did a great job of picking up all the tags and artwork I already had. I have ripped a few cd's with the Zen as well. It does a fantastic job.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Hey Ernie! I got lucky, and so today received and installed my 'new-to-me' Zen MkIII, and promptly updated to the new 2.0 software :) I am still adjusting to the interface, in general, but have to say I am still a bit confused with the Spotify interface. I'm an Android/Google guy with smart-phone, etc., so it appears we still have to use 'Squeeze' interfaces in order to use 'Spotty' - the third-party control app. I can get it to work, and it sounds great, but I expected more of a seamless interface between Innuos 2.0 and Spotify Connect. Maybe there is more to come from Innuos in that regard. I'm also exploring a free hi-res trial with Qobuz (via a promo from SVS), so more to come with that.

Anyway, having said all that...I'm really enjoying the sound coming from this Zen MkIII! The unit I received already had some hi-res (24bit/96kHz) albums installed on the HDD, and they are sounding exceptional through my Benchmark DAC3/HGC via USB B)

Now...if I can transfer the DSD albums from the Nativ Vita SSDs to the HDD on this Zen, I will be very interested to turn up the volume B)
  • erniejade
    Options
    I updated last night but have not had a shot to use it. On Facebook, there is a Innuos owners group. Of your on Facebook, shoot me a pm of your real name and i can add you to it if you cannot find it.
  • erniejade
    Options
    Innuos did an update to fix bugs called 2.0.5. For me, it took the Innuos app to another level. Once I got used to it, I feel it overtaken the Lumin and Lightning apps.

I am very happy Innuos took our suggestions and listened to their customers on what the issues were and what they wanted to see in the app. They are still working on more enhancements as suggestions come in.

• jdjohn
    Options
    +1

I had barely gotten used to the Innuos interface in general, so it was all new to me, but the 2.0.5 fixed a few bugs (at least in my case) that weren't even in the change-list. Spotify Connect is working better now, so I don't even need to use Orange Squeeze anymore. The Sense app on my phone works better now as well.

Honestly, I had thought I would primarily use the Zen for streaming, but thanks to inheriting some music libraries on local drives in my Nativ Vita, and this used Zen, I have found myself listening to the stored files quite a bit, and also started ripping old CDs like crazy from my limited collection...why not? Then one night I went to the HD Tracks website, and ended-up spending some bucks there, too!

Now...I wonder if a fancy fuse would take things up yet another notch???
  • erniejade
    Options
    I have not read about fuse changes on them but, it's worth a shot.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options

erniejade wrote: »
    Innuos did an update to fix bugs called 2.0.5. For me, it took the Innuos app to another level. Once I got used to it, I feel it overtaken the Lumin and Lightning apps.

I am very happy Innuos took our suggestions and listened to their customers on what the issues were and what they wanted to see in the app. They are still working on more enhancements as suggestions come in.
    +1

I had barely gotten used to the Innuos interface in general, so it was all new to me, but the 2.0.5 fixed a few bugs (at least in my case) that weren't even in the change-list. Spotify Connect is working better now, so I don't even need to use Orange Squeeze anymore. The Sense app on my phone works better now as well.

Honestly, I had thought I would primarily use the Zen for streaming, but thanks to inheriting some music libraries on local drives in my Nativ Vita, and this used Zen, I have found myself listening to the stored files quite a bit, and also started ripping old CDs like crazy from my limited collection...why not? Then one night I went to the HD Tracks website, and ended-up spending some bucks there, too!

Now...I wonder if a fancy fuse would take things up yet another notch???

I'm loving this new update and Sense App, the sonic improvements are exceptional. My Vinyl set-up has been on a leave of absence for quite some time.