Synergistic research orange fuses

Options
VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,136
edited August 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
So, in full disclosure I did not even bother installing these. I took these photos and decided that I just couldn't trust what I was paying for given what I could see. I can't imagine how much of a pain it would be to take a fuse apart to alter the interior?

There are other fuse manufactures who talk what their fuse is made of, alloys, etc.

Synergistic does not mention this, yet focus on quantum charging and such.

As always in audio, caveat emptor
eacdzg3ac0v0.jpeg
ykadngq9rgcv.jpg
0bczadfspmin.jpg
s98mxv2oh3pk.jpg
rgbs6qwqdpdl.jpg
gd1dud4a2vyw.jpg

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,167
    Options
    Pain?? Don’t you do mods? Not sure the jest of your full disclosure but I see mention of SR fuses ! If you’re going to upgrade , upgrade !
    I changed out the.stock fuse in my Vega G2 and bout sh it my pants started to dance and to this day so glad I took the chance! Bees Wax ultimate and no looking back Game changer
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • VR3
    Options
    I'm not saying fuses don't make a difference. I'm still looking for a fuse with an actual spec sheet that actually builds them from the ground up.

My post is to show that whether unchanged or modified, the bases of the 160 dollar orange fuse is a one dollar fuse. Very hard for me to swallow a 3,000 percent mark up
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,294
    Options
    Sr fuses are supposed to be surpassed by quantum science audio light blue fuses, that are $71.00. Quantum science also has a $2800 fuse, I sure hope those are built from the ground up.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,646
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Trey, how dare you! Ted Denney is a legitimate and honest businessman!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,460
    Options
    Those don't look like the originals. Probably a cheap knockoff. I've never tried SR fuses though so I can't verify but the lowly Hi-Fi Tuning Silver Stars I use appear far more legit.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    edited August 2021
    Options
    They were ordered from an authorized dealer. There was also a comment on audiogon forums about them using this type of fuse underneath the wrapper.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/what-s-going-on-with-synergistic-research-fuses

When looking at the fuse, there is a black dot of textured paint, which I am assuming is the uef paint they sell. Then the sticker wraps around the fuse and there is a hole in the sticker so you can see the black dot.

I actually ordered 6 of these fuses as I was going to change every fuse in my system. I checked four of the 6, the other 3 I checked, the black mark covered the markings but it was obviously of the same lineage.

Direct blurb from their website... Not one mention of what the fuse is made of, metals etc

The new ORANGE Quantum Fuse is a direct result of technology we first developed for our Limited Edition Galileo SX PowerCell. At its core are new UEF Technologies and a completely new multi-stage high voltage treatment process for the lowest noise floor of any fuse we have ever manufactured. In fact, ORANGE is by far the most significant leap in performance across five fuse generations. Subjective improvements include better timbral accuracy where separate instruments and voices take on a new degree of life-like realism. Other benefits over prior SR fuses include a larger soundstage with greater depth, width, and front-to-back layering. Musicality or the presence of increased detail without a hint of fatigue is off the charts for extended listening that is never harsh despite being our highest resolution fuse to date. As always, you are welcome to try Synergistic Research ORANGE Fuses in your system for 30-days risk-free and return them to your SR dealer for a full refund if you are not completely satisfied.

Sold with a no-risk 30-day money back guarantee. $159.95 in all sizes
  • VR3
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Compare that to the hifi tuning Supreme fuse

HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses are truly special and offer quality of sound which far exceeds any fuse available on the market. Made from Mundorf’s proprietary blend of ultra-pure silver and gold, Supreme fuses deliver outstanding speed, jaw-dropping resolution and a gorgeously smooth tonal balance. Treat your gear to the best, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses.

HiFi Tuning has long been a fan of Germany’s legendary Mundorf capacitors. Revered in audiophile circles for creating gorgeous sounding no-compromise capacitors which grace some of the world’s best electronic designs, Mundorf capacitors are built using a special conductive material. Ultra-pure silver is impregnated with gold creating a material with gobs of resolution and golden warmth; glorious tonal color with truly outstanding dynamic shading, essentially the best of both gold and silver and absolutely no compromise. Each Supreme fuse uses this special material for its end-caps and conductive filament and pure silver solder connects everything. Inside the ceramic casing, Supreme fuses further distinguish themselves by receiving proprietary resonance and quantum treatments. Can a fuse really make a difference? Are Supreme fuses worth it? One listen will erase all doubt.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,769
    Options
    FWIW, I used the blue fuses in a few components. I tried the preamp and I couldn't really tell a difference, not enough to overcome any placebo effect.

When I replaced the mains fuse in my recently upgraded McCormack DNA-1, there was a very noticeable, immediate difference in the clarity of the upper register of female vocalals.

I then focused on the treble region but it was the open, airy, clarity of the vocals that was evident.

I went back and forth about 3 times to confirm, each time it was easily distinguishable.

Never did the CD player, but so far only the amp fuse made a difference for me so far.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    FWIW, I used the blue fuses in a few components. I tried the preamp and I couldn't really tell a difference, not enough to overcome any placebo effect.

When I replaced the mains fuse in my recently upgraded McCormack DNA-1, there was a very noticeable, immediate difference in the clarity of the upper register of female vocalals.

I then focused on the treble region but it was the open, airy, clarity of the vocals that was evident.

I went back and forth about 3 times to confirm, each time it was easily distinguishable.

Never did the CD player, but so far only the amp fuse made a difference for me so far.

I never gave much thought to upgrading the fuse in my new amp as it kicked my but the second I fired it up but you got me thinking it’s time to order another Bees Wax Ultimate! Just need to find out the right size and I know it won’t suck so
    What the heck! Thanks
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • VR3
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Just ordered 6 of the hifi tuning Supreme, will report back when they arrive!

These were actually much less than the synergistics, even with the synergistic buy 2 get one free deal. Not bad for a ground up built fuse gears towards audiophiles
    Post edited by VR3 on
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 319
    Options
    I'm interested in trying fuse upgrades. To be clear, do they replace the fuse accessible on the back of the unit (mains?), or are they meant to be installed on the amp's internal rails?
  • VR3
    Options
    They can be used anywhere a fuse is located. Just make sure you match the amperage and voltage requirements
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,020
    Options
    And direction when installing.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • audioluvr
    Options
    I've only replaced the line fuses on my monos. There was a noticable difference in sound quality. I also later ordered extras just in case... I considered replacing the power supply fuse and the 4 rail fuses but that would mean ordering 10 more fuses. Something in the thrifty side of my head said "NO!". Some day I'll make some jumpers to bypass them and see if I can hear the difference. In the mean time I'm pretty happy with the results I got so far.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,647
    edited August 2021
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Some day I'll make some jumpers to bypass them and see if I can hear the difference.

I don't think I'd do that.

• audioluvr
    Options
    It's just a brief demo kind of thing. Definitely agree it shouldn't be used long term.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,209
    Options
    I think I'm with Lurch with this one. Any time I hear Quantum effects regarding anything audiophile, I'm out. Or maybe I'm wrong and they should qualify for a Nobel Prize. 🤣
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    Options
    If you watch the video on synergistics research about quantum charging... They align it with a tesla coil and it is just a name he made up, self admitted in the video
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,647
    Options
    I parked my F150 next to a Tesla charging station, so I now drive a Quantified F150
    😂😂
  • jdjohn
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Just ordered 6 of the hifi tuning Supreme, will report back when they arrive!
    Have you tried them yet?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    edited August 2021
    Options
    They finally arrived yesterday actually. I changed the PSU fuses on the tri vista and listened to a few songs last night. Nothing to say yet, as it is too soon. I can say that it is obvious these fuses are built from the ground up and are an actual attempt as a higher grade fuses versus takin a 60 cent fuse and dampening it and shocking it with 10k volts and selling it at 4,000% mark up

https://www.musicdirect.com/fuses/hifi-tuning-fuses-supreme-small-slow
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,874
    Options
    I don't know Trey, says they use quantum treatments too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Options
    I know but the caps and wire are 99% silver and 1% gold... Not just some cheap fuse that's been altered
  • VR3
    Options
    I can tell you just by holding the two fuses it blatantly obvious how much nicer the hifi tuning fuse is. It is obvious it was built to a higher standard with higher quality materials.

When I opened the synergistic, the sticker is so cheesy and wrinkled, it was obvious it was slapped on
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I'm curious as to your listening impressions, when ready. I'm also curious about comparing to the Quantum Science Audio fuses. Maybe a fuse swap could be arranged.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,447
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    <snip> Nothing to say yet, as it is too soon. <snip>

Nothing to say, as if they did nothing or nothing to say because you are still trying to detect a difference or nothing to say because there is so much of a difference, we will have to hear a long and blown out explanation of how quantum blah, blah, blah fuses made you blow your wad?

Inquiring minds would like to know more about this so-called "nothing" you speak of...

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    I only listened to a few tracks, my initial impression is that I heard a few details I had not picked up on previously in a few of the songs I had heard possibly hundreds of times. But I seriously listened 15 minutes after working a 15 hour day with zero burn in our anything.

Did it sound different? Yes

I have 3 more fuses to change out as well. I'm expecting the ones in line to the mains inside the tri Vista to make the biggest difference
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    I’m not trying to plug for any particular brand but just stating the Beeswax Ultimate fuse gave my sound a serious upgrade and no regrets ! A little more expensive but so worth it ! Hope you dig the SR change! Heard good things about them too!!
  • VR3
    Options
    So for clarity, in case the first post wasn't clear, I returned the synergistic fuse and am running the hifi tuning Supreme.

So I swapped out the fuse in the s booster power supply on the lumin and I double checked my orientation of the fuses on the tri Vista psu as I had one "backwards" if you so believe in such directionality.

I listened for about 45 minutes before going to bed. So, without question the high end is a hint more refined than before. I can definitely pick out smaller details in recordings, as in I knew they were there, but these made them that much easier to hear.

One song in particular, Matt Marson grave digger, there's a bass line that kicks in after the guitar and is accompanied by a clap in the left channel. After the fuse swap, the clap effect was very very discernable with great weight. While there before, it didn't carry that same weight. I've listened to this song hundreds of times on different systems and speakers so very familiar.

Now, did these things transform my system? Absolutely not. I already have a super wide Soundstage great bass with excellent depth and so forth. To completely transform that would be an interesting hat trick. I still haven't changed out the internal tri Vista fuse on the mains out but that's a little more involved and work has been killing me.

If your system is fairly dialed in and you are what I call the tweaking stage of just trying random things... Definitely try aftermarket fuses but maybe keep it reasonable. The hifi tuning Supreme is around 75 each which while expensive is not to bad.

I'll report back after I change out the internal fuses