Outdoor Bluetooth Speakers

PSOVLSK
PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
edited July 2021 in Speakers
My current setup has what appears to be 18 gauge cable runs and there is no way for me to replace with better wire. I have Atrium 60’s (I think) and have enjoyed them at my two previous homes, but it’s just not working for me at my current home. I’m thinking of going Bluetooth. Either traditional speakers or “rock” speakers will work. I’d like to keep it under $300 and something under $200 would be great. Any recommendations?

I should add that I have a pretty good sized area. Closest neighbors are a few hundred yards away. Actual backyard area is about an 1/8 of an acre.
Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    edited July 2021
    I couldn’t fight through all the recommendations in this thread so I just ordered a JBL Charge 5. Not sure if it’s gonna do the job and I won’t post my impressions because obviously no one cares🤣🤣🤣
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Not a bad choice. I purchased a couple Ultimate Ears MEGABOOM 3 a couple years ago for patio, portable, and travel...love them
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • PSOVLSK
    Funny because I’m considering ordering the Megaboom 3 and comparing them. They are about the same price. I was also looking at the party speaker from UE, but at $400 it’s a little more than I want to spend.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Jbl boombox. We have had ours for over 3 years. Its a bit bigger ( 15 lbs) but it floats, takes what the kids can dish out and doesn't sound bad at all. I got mine from JBL direct referbished for around $325
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I’m a big JBL fan. I have a
    Charge 2
    Two charge 3’s
    Extreme 2
    Boombox 1

The sound quality is outstanding IMO.

The main problem for me is that they keep upgrading the “connect” feature so some models won’t work with others. There are now 3 different versions of that connect feature,
    Connect
    Connect +
    PartyMode

So my Charge 3’s connect to each other and the Extreme 2 connects to the Boombox, but nothing else connects to each other. I like the feature, because I put one speaker on the deck and one on the kitchen counter so I can have continuous music going in and out while grilling.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    The charge 2 I’ve had for 5 or 6 years I bet. Even dropped it off the deck and still going strong.

One of my Charge 3s just blew a driver and was out of the (1year) warranty window, but the gave me a 35% off code for a new unit.

One thing is to look at the specs. Some units have one driver and some are stereo. The only units I’ve purchased are stereo as I’ve heard a mono (Charge 4) and wasn’t a big fan.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • PSOVLSK
    edited July 2021
    Cheapest I can find a Boombox is $399 and it won’t be delivered until end of August. If I could find one for $325 I’d have already ordered it and we could close this thread😁

I just ordered an Extreme 2. Gonna compare it to the Charge 5. I’ve been outside listening to the Charge for about an hour or so and it’s really all I need, but if the Extreme is a little better I’ll probably keep it. The one I bought is used, but supposedly “like new”.

Thanks for the info Paul. I might regret it later, but at this point in time the “connect” feature isn’t important to me. How would you rate the Extreme vs the Charge?
    My Charge was $180 and the Extreme is $210. Is the Extreme worth $30 more? I would hope so based on original price.
  • hochpt21
    I got the Boombox 1 on Amazon sale for $275 last month (keep in mind there are two newer models than the one I got)

I have the charge 3 not the 5, but the extreme 2 is an all around more powerful speaker. And it has stereo drivers as opposed to the charge 5 mono. To me, the mono driver just doesn’t sound right.

I think you’ll really like the extreme.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I have several of the JBL Charge 5. Love them for around the pool or when taking the boat to a remote beach. You can run several at once. I used to use one in my tower crane as it has a mic so if you get a call it pauses the music and switches to phone mode. Way cool but if you're jamming and a call comes in it blasts your ring tone...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • PSOVLSK
    I've done lots of testing today and I still haven't decided what I'm going to do.

When I last checked in on Friday, I had a Charge 5 at the house that I bought on Amazon with an Extreme 2 on the way. There has been some action since that time. I had to go to Wal-Mart on Saturday night and there, sitting in the produce section (yes, the produce section) was an open box Charge 5 for $105. No brainer. Only problem is that when I got it home, it didn't work. Wouldn't turn on. Charged it overnight and still no luck. I returned it this morning. This would seem to be the end of the story, except that on the clearance sticker, it listed the original price as $138. I went to the electronics sections and sure enough, the Charge 5 is only $138...regular price. Of course I would have bought one, but they were out. So, I go home and get online and the price online shows the same as Amazon, $179. The key, as I discovered, is that you have to select "pick-up in store" instead of "delivery" and then you see the price of $138. As I said, my local store was out, but a store 30 miles away had one black one left in stock. I quickly put it in my card and head for the checkout. Before I can get finished, it shows that they have none available:( I go back an look again and it shows that they have 3 blue ones in stock. I put one in my cart and head to checkout...success!!

Before I head out to pick up the new speaker, I do a lot of listening and comparing between the Charge 5 and the Extreme 2 which was delivered today. I know I like the sound of the Extreme better, but is it worth $70 more? Maybe, because I also like the jack on the Extreme that allows me to hook up my digital Walkman which the Charge doesn't have. I finally decide that I'm going to keep the Extreme, so I cancel my Wal-Mart order (this is around 4:00). Since I'm still not certain of my decision, I keep listening and researching and I decide that I need to hear (2) Charge 5's in stereo mode. So at 7:00, I'm on a 30 mile drive to buy 2 of the 3 remaining blue Charge 5's at Wal-Mart.

The Charge 5's in stereo mode blow the Extreme 2 away. It's not even close. My dilemma now is do I want to pay $300 for two of Charge 5's or stick with the Extreme 2 which I got for a good deal at $205? As I mentioned earlier, being able to hook up my Walkman is kind of a big deal because my internet is not great out in my shop and I do listen to music out there on occasion. Also, if we go to the lake I wouldn't have to worry about having wi-fi. I could get a couple of Charge 4's, but (1) I can't find them for under $149 and (2) it doesn't have a tweeter and the general consensus seems to be that the Charge 5 sounds better.

Unless I change my mind, I'm going to sell off my very modest living room system as well as my outdoor speakers. This system is only used for background music, so whichever JBL speaker I decide on can take over that duty.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Money is no object. Get the Charge 5's. ;)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • hochpt21
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Money is no object. Get the Charge 5's. ;)

Or just quit messing around and get the Boombox. B)
  • erniejade
    edited July 2021
    I didn't even know they made a newer version of the boomboxx until I just read it here. Since mine is 3-4 years old, I am sure it is version 1. I have never had any issues with it. It has been rained on, salt water from the beach, sand, and in high Florida humidity without any issues. We just make sure to clean it off with clean water. The battery life is outstanding for a unit it's size.
    Post edited by erniejade on
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    edited July 2021
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Got an arsenal of portable Bluetooth speakers a Polk Urchin a Polk Boom a couple of JBL flips and a big Dewalt one for hanging outside or on the boat, If it's a cool evening and we are on the deck I just open the windows and crank the 2 channel. So many options.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • PSOVLSK
    Ended up going with two Charge 5’s. I like that I can have stereo sound if I want it, but I can also take one with me to the office if I choose to do so. There will be times when I’ll wish I had the aux jack, but the other factors won out. I considered picking up another Extreme 2 and checking out that combo in stereo, but ultimately decided that the Extreme wasn’t quite as portable and I didn’t want to spend $400+.

Earlier I joked about no one contributing in the thread, but I ended up getting a lot of good advice that helped me make my decision. Thanks!