Receiver Recommendation for S55's

Options
2»

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Awesome man! Glad that you are getting the chance to hear those S55s with some real power behind them!

Have fun!
  • jsbrown11
    jsbrown11 Posts: 12
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Hahaha, nice!

To be fair, part of the reason you were getting zero low end in the receiver setup was because the speakers were set small. Still though, even if set large, with that receiver they definitely wouldn't hit as hard and impactful as they are with the amp. You don't get solid control or depth without power and current - the driver response is weaker in a sense, so the sound can be congested and distorted.

Ok I got all 5 up and running sounds pretty sweet. Question is now - since I have a powered sub, do I put my speakers on small and set cross over around 50-60ish?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    jsbrown11 wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    Hahaha, nice!

To be fair, part of the reason you were getting zero low end in the receiver setup was because the speakers were set small. Still though, even if set large, with that receiver they definitely wouldn't hit as hard and impactful as they are with the amp. You don't get solid control or depth without power and current - the driver response is weaker in a sense, so the sound can be congested and distorted.

Ok I got all 5 up and running sounds pretty sweet. Question is now - since I have a powered sub, do I put my speakers on small and set cross over around 50-60ish?

Experiment and see what sounds best! But your other speakers might not be able to handle being crossed over so low...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • hackman55
    hackman55 Posts: 17
    Options
    This thread is relevant to a question I have, so I hope it is okay if I piggyback on OP's thread.

I also have s55's for fronts. I've been mostly happy with them until I heard them in someone else's system. Sounded much better than mine. He had an external amp powering the speakers, believe it was an older NAD model.

I've asked around a little in the past and been told my avr was plenty powerful enough for the speakers and that an amp wouldn't make much noticeable difference. I accepted it, but hearing that other system has gotten me wondering about it again. I'm also speculating maybe it was the room itself more than the amp that accounted for the difference.

I really don't know much about any of this. I got interested kind of late in life and have only had my limited gear to play with. Almost everything I know is what I've read the last couple of years(longtime lurker here), I don't know anyone personally with much interest whose brain I could pick. I am occasionally around other people's sound systems and home theater setups but don't have a lot of time to discuss them.

btw, my avr is a Yamaha RX-V685 running the s55's, s35 center, s15 surrounds and t15's as front heights. Sub is an hts12. Usage about 70/30 television/music(hard rock, mostly) in a 16'×22'×12' living room. MLP 11' from front soundstage. Does anybody believe an external amp would improve my s55's sound?