Name the best rock bands of the last 30 years

Comments

• dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    For the Alice in Chains fans in the thread, Jerry Cantrell just finished recording his first solo album since Degradation Trip. I loved that one. I heard a while back that this one will be heavy on acoustic numbers, but that could have just been conjecture since Jerry played a couple acoustic only shows at the time. We'll see, but I'm more excited about this release than I would be for another "Alice in Chains" record.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • dr1978
    edited March 2021
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    dr1978 wrote: »
    King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard!

Now that is a right snappy name!

Only thing snappier is their pace putting out records. 18 in their 10 years of existence!

I haven't listened to them enough to give them a full recommendation, but they're worth checking out for anyone looking for something a little different.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • dr1978
    Helmet deserves a mention
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    There are numerous killer rock bands between 1990-2005ish lots of good music in that extended decade... IMO of course, I might even say the last best decade (add a few years) as a whole for music in general..
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Drive-by Truckers
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Anecdotally, and in the spirit of this thread, I want to throw in an RIP to Chris Cornell.
    Neither Soundgarden, nor Audioslave, nor Temple of the Dog have been mentioned, but his influence lives on.

Actually, both Soundgarden and Audioslave have been mentioned, but the mention of Chris Cornell gives me the opportunity to once again recommend: https://www.amazon.com/Songbook-Explicit-Chris-Cornell/dp/B005SZNZAY/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=chris+cornell&qid=1615051855&sprefix=chris+cor&sr=8-6
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    You got maybe three
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Come'on man Chickenfoot flippin ROCKS!!

:D
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2021
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or has there been no mention of Nickelback?

B)

Yea, no surprise there. I will say that I met a fellow academic at a conference who was in a touring rock band post college for a few years in the mid aughties, and played a festival with Nickelback. He said they were the nicest guys, invited them in to play video games in their trailer and hang out before the show.

Further empirical proof, I suppose, that niceness does not necessarily make good rock n roll...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    rooftop59 wrote: »

B)

Yea, no surprise there. I will say that I met a fellow academic at a conference who was in a touring rock band post college for a few years in the mid aughties, and played a festival with Nickelback. He said they were the nicest guys, invited them in to play video games in their trailer and hang out before the show.

Further empirical proof, I suppose, that niceness does not necessarily make good rock n roll...

Good rock n roll only comes from throwing naked groupies out of hotel windows.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    afterburnt wrote: »

B)

Mud sharks. Don't forget the mud sharks.

:|
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
  • afterburnt
    chumlie wrote: »
    Gov't Mule.

Good choice, I like that guy almost as much as Ed Zeppelin.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt wrote: »

B)

Mud sharks. Don't forget the mud sharks.

:|

That results in something beyond Rock n' Roll that has yet to be defined.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    5h94nskep3dt.jpeg

Anybody mention Wilco? ( Last concert I saw live, one year ago March 8 and then right after that e erything shut down real fast. )
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I personally like Nickelback, took the wife to see them, they blew my away. Their tribute to Dimebag was incredible... no hate here, but they wouldn’t make my list... Cage the Elephant getting mentioned made me smile, they are soooo good...
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Anyone listened to the new Chevelle album?

You should.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    I'm partial to the Foo Fighters as probably my top rock band. Dave is an incredible musician and I really like their new album. Unfortunately haven't had a chance to see them live yet.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    I may be outside the 30 years window a bit, but Ill throw in:
    Sonic Youth
    Pixies
    Wilco
    Tame Impala
    Deerhunter
    Social Distortion
    Reverend Horton Heat
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited March 2021
    Bring back the Bruce
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • Eagles of Death Metal, White Zombie, A Perfect Circle, Type O Negative, Rage Against the Machine...
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    Not one of the best in the last 30 years but a new one with promise. Good singer, tight band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ygfX0BavM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42rmUlDiQDI
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    You know I'm kinda fond of DH's music but I hope their albums are mastered a ton better than their videos. I hear far too much distortion to my ears.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited June 2021
    In no particular order

Marilyn Manson
    Sound Garden
    Green Day
    Shinedown
    Candlebox
    Seether
    Staind
    Hinder
    Limp Bizkit
    Godsmack
    Pearl Jam
    Five Finger Death Punch
    Creed
    Three doors down
    Disturbed
    Avenged Sevenfold
    NIN
    Buckcherry

Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • hackman55
    hackman55 Posts: 17
    Faith No More, Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, Black Crowes, Alice In Chains, Audioslave.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited July 2021
    Every time someone posts to this thread I keep thinking it's Bruce back, and it just reminds me that Bruce is dead. Or banned. Same thing though. Now he's Soylent Green.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Pop Will Eat Itself
    Jane's Addiction