Vintage 2-channel rig…

Options
Not the first time I’ve gone down this path but I have really been wanting to assemble a 2-channel system like my dad had back in the day.

So, I have been on the search for late 70’s Pioneer silver faced equipment.

I picked up the TX-9800 tuner a couple of months ago. And then ran into a mint SA-9800 integrated and PL-630 turntable in the last two weeks.

So these are my latest additions towards putting a vintage system together.

My next search will be speakers. They need to be reasonable in size. Nothing in the large floor standers category. Although I would love to have some SDA’s or Kappa’s but smaller will go over much better with the better half. And this will be more her system then mine.

Here is a pic of the latest additions.

aaa3q5uwysn6.jpeg
fjcl90hs9fwm.jpeg

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Gotta stick a remote controlled motorized volume pot in that thing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    What about Kappa bookies?

vdnpwoz2yfqe.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited June 2021
    Options
    A pair of Pioneer HPM-1100s would be both period-correct and a pretty respectable match for those components, FWIW.
    There's a pair in the basement, just takin' up space.
    Where do you live? ;)

10541818085_d115e2e01d_c.jpgHPM1100 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

EDIT: oops, sorry, missed the "no large floorstanders" in the OP :/
    Were it me/mine -- I'd probably go with something like a pair of ads L-710. Smaller ads would be OK, too. That's a big, beefy amplifier -- and it would reward empathetically chosen loudspeakers (old or new). :)

10676373535_201159c7b8_c.jpgP1020547 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    @tratliff a great project and idea.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,187
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I would've bought the ADS L-810's but I was on a budget (as a young college kid) and couldn't afford them and *settled* for the Polk 7B's. I had an acquaintance back then who had the ADS's and they were pretty incredible. Seems like they held their value quite well (neglecting inflation lol).
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    What about Kappa bookies?

vdnpwoz2yfqe.jpg

I would really consider those. I have a feeling it will be more about what I run across at the time I am ready to purchase.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I like the 710 better than the 810, FWIW -- 710 is smaller, too. ;)
    Heck, the "small" ads loudspeakers were legendary, and not without reason. L200, 300, 400, 500... all great loudspeakers IMO.

Pick your vintage ads/Braun and enjoy eminently listenable and easy-to-drive loudspeakers.
    Some of the later/larger ads loudspeakers are a bit too much for my taste (again, FWIW).

Oh, in full disclosure (and not unrelated to the actual topic of this thread!) I have been listening lately quite a bit to a pair of slightly rehabilitated, roadside-find AR4x loudspeakers! Apostasy! :o

ycstqbetvjnn.jpg

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/out-of-the-closet-i-seem-to-be-an-ar4x-fan.7605/
    N.B. I'd have posted this tale at these fora, but since it totally doesn't involve a Polk product, past or present, it seemed a little too far afield ;)

• tratliff
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    A pair of Pioneer HPM-1100s would be both period-correct and a pretty respectable match for those components, FWIW.
    There's a pair in the basement, just takin' up space.
    Where do you live? ;)

10541818085_d115e2e01d_c.jpgHPM1100 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

EDIT: oops, sorry, missed the "no large floorstanders" in the OP :/
    Were it me/mine -- I'd probably go with something like a pair of ads L-710. Smaller ads would be OK, too. That's a big, beefy amplifier -- and it would reward empathetically chosen loudspeakers (old or new). :)

10676373535_201159c7b8_c.jpgP1020547 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Doc, I don't think it would be cost effective for the HPM-1100 to make it my way. I'm in Fort Worth. I have not ever heard the HPM line. I may have run across them in the past but can't remember sitting down and listening to any.

Now you may be onto something with the ADS. I have fond memories of sitting at Hillcrest Hi-Fi dreaming of a pair. I settled on a pair of Boston T-1030's back then.

Thanks for the ideas!
  • Gardenstater
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I never heard the ADS L710s but (FWIW) the extra 5Hz of bass extension on the 810's made it non-negotiable for me at the time. They are a tiny bit larger than the 7B's; 1-1/2" taller. WAF considerations may make the 710s with a subwoofer a good choice.

Edit- you might consider the L730 over the L710 and may not need a subwoofer. -3dB point of 30Hz (10Hz better than L710).
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Very nice Todd!!
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2021
    Options
    There's a heaviness to the 810's sound that I don't care for -- they're certainly good loudspeakers, but, you know, de gustibus non est disputandum.
    Sort of like comparing the Polk 10 to the 7 (again, for me).

I'd have bought ads loudspeakers in the '70s if I could've afforded them -- but I couldn't. The Polk
    7As I did buy were, dollar for dollar, the best thing available in 1978 that I could afford (especially since I snagged a demo pair from Soundscape for a great price!).

PS @tratliff you could have the HPM-1100s if you really wanted 'em -- but, yeah, shipping (or even driving up and back) would not be inexpensive... and they're not small.
    I found them much more "audiophile" good sounding than the HPM-100s, FWIW.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    I liked the HPM back in the day. Today next to my high performance 2.3tl's they'd probably sound like nails on a chalkboard.

Then again I might just be surprised!
  • tratliff
    edited June 2021
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    There's a heaviness to the 810's sound that I don't care for -- they're certainly good loudspeakers, but, you know, de gustibus non est disputandum.
    Sort of like comparing the Polk 10 to the 7 (again, for me).

I'd have bought ads loudspeakers in the '70s if I could've afforded them -- but I couldn't. The Polk
    7As I did buy were, dollar for dollar, the best thing available in 1978 that I could afford (especially since I snagged a demo pair from Soundscape for a great price!).

PS @tratliff you could have the HPM-1100s if you really wanted 'em -- but, yeah, shipping (or even driving up and back) would not be inexpensive... and they're not small.
    I found them much more "audiophile" good sounding than the HPM-100s, FWIW.

Thanks for the offer. If for some reason I decide I would like them I’ll let you know.

Thanks again.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Yep no accounting for taste, but again, I never had the luxury of hearing anything but the L810. Perhaps I would prefer the smaller less bass heavy L710 as well. If the bass is muddy in the larger model......no good. This was actually the first introduction to a mid fi stereo setup that I had ever heard so perhaps I am romanticizing it.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    At 100LBse70cjdeeo7x.jpg
    S each and "towers" I fell for a pair of ADS L1590's, will never sell them! Also had the L810's and sold them to get the 1590's. 0r2hw5iag802.jpg

Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • tratliff
    Options

se70cjdeeo7x.jpg

Very nice. Would love to give those a listen.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    They are remarkable. Each speaker is housed inside separate cabinets inside the main cabinets. But I dont recomend hearing a pair if there not yours as it will drive you nuts trying to find a pair.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • tratliff
    Options
    Thought I would update the group on my progress. You may have seen I bought the PSB Imagine T2's from Steve. I thought about vintage speakers and was talking with Dskip about a pair of RTA-15tl's he has but I decided that the PSB's would be more cost effective. Clipdat graciously offered to send a Cambridge Dacmagic, for nothing, if I purchased the PSB's and that sealed the deal as a DAC was not even in the plans.

I got everything setup in my office and on the 3rd day the Pioneer SA-9800 decided to take a ****. The power supply needed a bit of maintenance. Finally got it back from my tech and everything is working as expected. Its not setup for pure 2-channel as its in my office and I just don't have the space to properly place the speakers. But it does sound much better than what I had before.

I have not been able to setup the turntable since I don't have a rack. I am currently looking to pick one up and then bring the turntable in the system.

rzgbzd60uaqz.jpg