Monitor 40 Series II Online measurement and review

Options
Hansvelton
Hansvelton Posts: 151
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/polk-monitor-40-series-ii-review-speaker.24146/

Just found this. Wow they really trashed them. A few stood up for these.

Are they really that bad??

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    They're a sub $200 pair of speakers. Amazon and Crutchfield reviews are 4.5 or better. I've never seen a front baffle fall off . I'm guessing shipping damage. I recently got S20's. A bit more expensive at $300 (list) a pair and the fit, finish, build quality and most importantly SOUND is way above the price point.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I've never heard the speakers in question, but those guys stored listening to music years ago, in sure for their price point they do great
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I've never heard the speakers in question, but those guys stopped listening to music years ago, in sure for their price point they do great

Fixed it for you :)

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    edited June 2021
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »
    I've never heard the speakers in question, but those guys stopped listening to music years ago, in sure for their price point they do great

Fixed it for you :)

Remember when Sid was too young to drink ?🍷
  • VR3
    Options
    Aye autocorrect, gracias senor Jesse
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    Options
    They're a sub $200 pair of speakers. Amazon and Crutchfield reviews are 4.5 or better. I've never seen a front baffle fall off . I'm guessing shipping damage. I recently got S20's. A bit more expensive at $300 (list) a pair and the fit, finish, build quality and most importantly SOUND is way above the price point.

Yeah never heard the current monitor line, a bit too entry level to me, but never heard of Polk making anything truly "bad".
  • MikeUp
    MikeUp Posts: 86
    Options
    That website has been said to have inaccurate test procedures and rarely do they go by the actual sound quality. I wouldn't even entertain the idea that anything on their website is true or accurate.

I read reviews from reputable magazines and even some online listener reviews which I found to match the way I hear them for myself, and found good reviews for the Monitor and TSI lines which are similar but not the same.

The cheapaudioman did a review of my Polk TSI100 and loved them putting them above many speakers costing more including Polks other, more expensive series. See here.

Here's a review of the TSI200 which was the model that succeeded the Monitor 40 Series II. See here.

Also another review of my TSI100. See here.

I thought about buying the TSI200 ($130 more than my TSI100. Almost 2X the cost) or the Monitor 40 Series II ($50 more than my TSI100) but why, I have an excellent subwoofer and the TSI100 goes low enough in the bass to be good.

The TSI200 didn't really add much bass or efficiency, and for my setup, offered no benefit for the extra money. A step up to the TSI500 would be my only option, as for my needs, had the only benefit worth the extra money. Even then, it would only be heard when using direct mode, bypassing my subwoofer.
    On to new and better adventures
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    I didn't see much glue in that basic rabbet joint and not much or too little press out on those corner braces. If they had built the thing with a rabbet and dado joint it never would've happened. I don't excuse it as shipping damage. Bad construction.

sk7bxobawqnv.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    Options
    Honestly, I've seen alot of Polks from that era with that construction and you can rip the baffles off with your hand. I've seen numerous ones from the rtixx series, ie rti12
  • JustM1ke
    JustM1ke Posts: 6
    Options
    TSI and Monitor series ain't that bad of series. I used to own a pair of TSI300s, got them for $110 together from a pawn shop. Top had damage like most used TSI's out there. They were pretty good, too bad I didn't really use them that much. On the used market, I see the TSI200's and TSI300's almost priced the same.