Polk Legend line now on sale

2»

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited June 2021
    The L800s are 6 feet apart edge to edge and 12.5 feet from speaker to sweet spot. Got Art Blakey’s The Freedom Rider on at the moment.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    I wonder how much better they would sound with nothing between the speakers?
  • Emlyn
    It’s not an ideal space for two channel given the large windows on three sides of the room. I doubt the TV has much of an impact on the stereo performance in this case though because the windows would be there regardless. The front of the speakers is about a foot in front of the screen. The TV also has to be there because the L800s are serving as home theater speakers too. I had a pair of 2.3TL in this space some years ago but they didn’t work well here.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    edited June 2021
    Looks great! I was looking at pictures of the L800 and a thought occurred to me. What material is the baffle housing the midrange and tweeter?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    The angled baffle appears to just be paint over MDF. Gloss on the black version and matte on the walnut version. There are some separate cosmetic pieces over the tweeter and midrange driver mounts.
  • VR3
    Would you be willing to remove a driver to double check that? I have an internal bet with myself it is not wood :-P
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    edited June 2021
    VR3 wrote: »
    Would you be willing to remove a driver to double check that? I have an internal bet with myself it is not wood :-P

Maybe in a few years. 😳 The midrange surround rings and cabinets look pretty easy to scratch without the right tools. Unlike the LSiM that used rubber inserts to hide the driver screws and are easy to pull out these look like rigid hard plastic inserts.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    I can't wait for you to send those crossovers to Trey for the Colossus Upgrade.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,968
    L100s and L200s are both on accesssories4less for a nice discount…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mkellypc
    mkellypc Posts: 12
    I just upgraded from LSiM 705s/706c to Legend L600 / L400.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    So how do they compare to the LSiM's?
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Emlyn
    edited June 2021
    As expected, the L800s are more open sounding than the LSiM line. That's down to the tweak they made in the tweeter and midrange driver materials. Based on photos I've seen of the crossovers I think they use pretty much the same level of parts on those as the previous lines. The midrange and woofer transition is better integrated than on the LSiM 707. Bass output is much faster and better controlled/punchier. The LSiM are still excellent speakers but they don't have anything like the soundstage of a good pair of SDA speakers. They also added an Atmos option that I haven't tested yet.

All things considered they still sound like Polk speakers. Just enhanced well beyond what they've been offering in the last 30 years.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,968
    mkellypc wrote: »
    I just upgraded from LSiM 705s/706c to Legend L600 / L400.

Are you pleased with the upgrade?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    edited June 2021
    I was curious about how he @mkellypc liked the L600's.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Emlyn
    Crutchfield's showing their sale pricing on the Legend speakers ends on June 27.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    They look amazing! Enjoy!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    I'm holding back my envy!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
    looks like BOGO on the SDA's, weren't they like 10g in the beginning?
  • Emlyn
    Same sale pricing as last time. $1K off the original $6K a pair price on the L800s. Looks like the black version is out of stock at Crutchfield.
  • pitdogg2
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Same sale pricing as last time. $1K off the original $6K a pair price on the L800s. Looks like the black version is out of stock at Crutchfield.

Ok for some reason I was thinking they cost more in the beginning.
  • VR3
    You thinking the srt system
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    edited August 2021
    For those with experience, are the L800 an upgrade over the hot-rodded SRS 1.2TL?
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    For those with experience, are the L800 an upgrade over the hot-rodded SRS 1.2TL?

No!
  • Emlyn
    They're more on par with the SRS 3.1TL model except they're available new and don't need rebuilding, driver swaps, and modifications. Also work best if they're not placed close to a front wall. :)