Help with old Polk Audio speakers and if they are still worth it.

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get my dad a new receiver for fathers day because his is really old. Currently we use an Apple TV for most of our movies and TV and use the TV speakers, but we have 2 Polk Audio RTi10's (L&R) and an above Polk Audio speaker that we really don't use anymore. I don't know the model, but I will include a picture. The whole point of getting the new receiver is so it can support dolby atmos with the apple tv and we can then use the 3 speakers to watch TV and movies and not the TV speakers. My question is are these speakers good for dolby atmos? I know they are old, but do I need to get him new speakers or can we just use these. We also have a subwoofer. Thanks, any input is appreciated!

mddrto0f4nlz.jpg
n4amxjtrfhg7.jpg
x14aogo0vlzl.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    ATMOS speakers are aimed up at or down from the ceiling. What you have is the front L, R and C. An ATMOS capable AVR is pointless with what you have.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,929
    Options
    As has been pointed out, you will not be able to get Atmos with just those three speakers, but… if you upgrade his receiver to something with HDMI, then you can plug the tv directly into the receiver, and then connect the receiver to the TV (but disable audio on the TV). With those speakers and subwoofer, you should be in for a really big upgrade in sound.
    Alea jacta est!
  • jaxbillz
    jaxbillz Posts: 5
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    As has been pointed out, you will not be able to get Atmos with just those three speakers, but… if you upgrade his receiver to something with HDMI, then you can plug the tv directly into the receiver, and then connect the receiver to the TV (but disable audio on the TV). With those speakers and subwoofer, you should be in for a really big upgrade in sound.

That was my plan! I was thinking of getting this receiver https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-7-2-ch-with-dolby-atmos-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6219445.p?skuId=6219445
    I guess the upgrade in sound would be nice, thanks!
  • jaxbillz
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    ATMOS speakers are aimed up at or down from the ceiling. What you have is the front L, R and C. An ATMOS capable AVR is pointless with what you have.

So with my current setup, what speakers do you recommend? If we do install ceiling speakers can we still use the current speakers we have in addition to the new ones. I linked the receiver I was thinking about buying above. Thank you!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Kex
    Options
    The greatest increase in sound is going to come from 3.1 (or even 2.1), where the 0.1 is the LFE (low frequency effects) channel for the subwoofer.

IMO, getting 3.1 should be your priority, not Atmos (for now anyway). Getting the 3.1 channels right will achieve most of the sound upgrade you are missing. Ceiling speakers will do fine for Atmos, but your money is likely better spent on a better receiver, and a better subwoofer (not sure what model that is). Adding all those additional channels will only get you another incremental improvement, not a game changing improvement.

In terms of the receiver, that Sony is basic entry level stuff, as evidenced (in part) by the spring clip binding posts, instead of proper binding posts, and the 16lb weight (the power supply is probably a bit weak). The big RTi10 are going to be a bit of a stretch for it to push adequately. Adding additional channels like Atmos are only going to strain it more.

It also does not have pre-outs for the main channels, so you wouldn’t be able to add an external amplifier in the future to get the extra power that it will be lacking.

Since you may want Atmos in the future (or even now), this is the cheapest quality receiver I found new with that capability, and that will be better than the Sony. It weighs about 40% more and is 4Ω stable. Both are signs of a higher quality power supply. Also, Marantz (affiliated with Polk) is the higher end marque from Denon, so not entry basic entry level stuff.

It is $300 more than the Sony you linked (reduced from $1000) but that money would be better spent on this IMO than on additional speakers at this juncture in your upgrade.

[Marantz SR5014 from Accessories4less].

If you forego the pre-outs for future upgrades, you can get a Denon from this same supplier for the same price as the Sony.

[Denon AVR-S750H from Accessories4less]
    [Denon AVR-X1600H from Accessories4less]

Many receivers are sold out, so it takes some searching and a lot of luck to find anything under $1K worth considering.
    Alea jacta est!
  • jaxbillz
    Options
    The greatest increase in sound is going to come from 3.1 (or even 2.1), where the 0.1 is the LFE (low frequency effects) channel for the subwoofer.

IMO, getting 3.1 should be your priority, not Atmos (for now anyway). Getting the 3.1 channels right will achieve most of the sound upgrade you are missing. Ceiling speakers will do fine for Atmos, but your money is likely better spent on a better receiver, and a better subwoofer (not sure what model that is). Adding all those additional channels will only get you another incremental improvement, not a game changing improvement.

In terms of the receiver, that Sony is basic entry level stuff, as evidenced (in part) by the spring clip binding posts, instead of proper binding posts, and the 16lb weight (the power supply is probably a bit weak). The big RTi10 are going to be a bit of a stretch for it to push adequately. Adding additional channels like Atmos are only going to strain it more.

It also does not have pre-outs for the main channels, so you wouldn’t be able to add an external amplifier in the future to get the extra power that it will be lacking.

Since you may want Atmos in the future (or even now), this is the cheapest quality receiver I found new with that capability, and that will be better than the Sony. It weighs about 40% more and is 4Ω stable. Both are signs of a higher quality power supply. Also, Marantz (affiliated with Polk) is the higher end marque from Denon, so not entry basic entry level stuff.

It is $300 more than the Sony you linked (reduced from $1000) but that money would be better spent on this IMO than on additional speakers at this juncture in your upgrade.

[Marantz SR5014 from Accessories4less].

If you forego the pre-outs for future upgrades, you can get a Denon from this same supplier for the same price as the Sony.

[Denon AVR-S750H from Accessories4less]
    [Denon AVR-X1600H from Accessories4less]

Many receivers are sold out, so it takes some searching and a lot of luck to find anything under $1K worth considering.

I went and took a look at the subwoofer and it is a Velodyne DPS. I was trying to stay in the $300 range because my mom said don't spend too much on it. We don't have a dedicated movie room so most likely we won't be adding any new speakers in the future (its just our living room). Would this one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-725w-5-2-ch-hi-res-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6187502.p?skuId=6187502 work with the 3 speakers and subwoofer if we don't have any new speakers? (using best buy for easy pick up + more points). Our current (really old receiver) is onkyo tx-nr801. Honestly, my main concern it just getting the apple TV hooked up to the speakers because I wanted to use the speakers when we watch movies.
  • Kex
    Options
    If you're on a really tight budget, and want to use BestBuy, the receiver will work, and you will like the results.

Velodyne make some great subs, so the one you have is a great entry into that market. You will need a subwoofer cable if you don't already have one. It would connect to the sub out on the receiver, and the LFE in on the subwoofer.

Use a single subwoofer out connection on the receiver, and a single LFE input on the back of the Velodyne. You should not need to use the volume control or crossover adjustment on the subwoofer. Those will both be managed by the receiver once you've set it up.

gskyn1kmexox.jpeg
    aynl37xxamw8.jpeg
    Alea jacta est!
  • jaxbillz
    Options
    If you're on a really tight budget, and want to use BestBuy, the receiver will work, and you will like the results.

Velodyne make some great subs, so the one you have is a great entry into that market. You will need a subwoofer cable if you don't already have one. It would connect to the sub out on the receiver, and the LFE in on the subwoofer.

Use a single subwoofer out connection on the receiver, and a single LFE input on the back of the Velodyne. You should not need to use the volume control or crossover adjustment on the subwoofer. Those will both be managed by the receiver once you've set it up.

gskyn1kmexox.jpeg
    aynl37xxamw8.jpeg

Sounds good, I believe its already connected to our old receiver, but ill check before I go and buy the new one. Thank you for the advice and input! I appreciate it.
  • MikeUp
    MikeUp Posts: 86
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Actually those RTI10 were succeeded by the RTI A7 speakers. The other center channel speaker is likely a CSI A4 or A6 or maybe the speaker that preceded that.

The RI10s and RTI A7s are top of the line speakers and offer real bass. In fact they offer bass equivalent or better than some subwoofers. To beat their bass, you must have a really good subwoofer.

I would skip the Sony and get a Denon AVR-S650H or Pioneer Elite receiver. I feel your sound quality will far exceed that of the Sony. Even if you must skip the Atmos and get a 5.1 channel receiver, I think your overall sound will be better. 5.1 is your core and the upper speakers just add bit more presense.

BTW, read your BBB reviews on some of the online recommended dealers, as I had nothing but problems with one and seen I was NOT the only person as the BBB had nothing but complaints on that online seller. I would recommend Crutchfield or Amazon.

Also buy new and not refurbished. It can save a lot of headaches down the road.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    On to new and better adventures
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    The RTi10 and RTiA7 were not Polk's TOTL speakers. They were part of the midline series and I strongly disagree your thoughts on their bass performance. The -3dB of both is 35Hz, barely subwoofer territory.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk