Where to get audio caps in correct farads

Options
MikeUp
MikeUp Posts: 86
edited June 2021 in Speakers
I've done so many searches, I gave up. I always find 47 MFD or 33 MFD, or 4.7 MFD but never what I need for my Infinity RS1 bookshelf speakers.

I need 45 MFD (uf) 50 V 10% radial, 30 MFD (uf) 50V 10% radial and 4 MFD (uf) 50V 10% radial bipolar electrolytic caps or better. Of course reasonable prices as these speakers cost me only $100/pair on clearance back in the late 90s. If I could recap them for $10 to $15 per speaker, I'd consider. These Infinity RS1 speakers are by no means as good as my Current Polk TSI100 speakers but did sound good when new and was thinking of recapping them for the fun of it.

Thanks.
On to new and better adventures
0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    2 x 22uf in parallel 44. Close enough for the 45
    2 x 15uf in parallel 30. Done
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    He wants radial caps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MikeUp
    Options
    Yes, caps need to be radial as there's no room to add additional components. So where can these caps be bought??
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Not to be rude, but makes no sense to me. Are you trying to stick them on the old circuit board? Slightly nicer axial lead parts with a lead ext will do the job.

3.9uf will work for a 4uf.

Spending 15 dollars on junk parts is just throwing away money. You can spend 50 and actually net some positive results
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MikeUp
    edited June 2021
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Not to be rude, but makes no sense to me. Are you trying to stick them on the old circuit board? Slightly nicer axial lead parts with a lead ext will do the job.

Spending 15 dollars on junk parts is just throwing away money. You can spend 50 and actually net some positive results

These are small bookshelf speakers, not much room to add parts that stick to far off of board. Plus I haven't found any in radial or axial that meet or exceed the specs.

Makes no sense to spend more on parts than what the speakers are worth. I'll probably just throw them away. If I'm going to spend $50 on parts, I'll spend $100 on new speakers and get better speakers all the way around. Then again, I don't need speakers. This was going to just be something fun to do, but not if it's not worth it.
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• MikeUp
    Options
    Yet still no one can point to a place to buy decent audio caps in the ratings needed. :/
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options

MikeUp wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »

These are small bookshelf speakers, not much room to add parts that stick to far off of board. Plus I haven't found any in radial or axial that meet or exceed the specs.

Makes no sense to spend more on parts than what the speakers are worth. I'll probably just throw them away. If I'm going to spend $50 on parts, I'll spend $100 on new speakers and get better speakers all the way around. Then again, I don't need speakers. This was going to just be something fun to do, but not if it's not worth it.

LOL.....amateur
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    edited June 2021
    Options
    MikeUp wrote: »
    Makes no sense to spend more on parts than what the speakers are worth.

Actually, it does. Speaking from experience.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    You can most times get better sound with $50 worth of parts and a little time than you can spending more money on another pair of speakers.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,181
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Dayton metallized polypropylene axial leads, 4.0uF +/- 5%, 250V. $2.09 ea. Leads are long enough to bend one back to simulate a radial cap.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DMPC-4.0-4.0uF-250V-Polypropylene-Capacitor-027-421

30uF $10.59 ea.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DMPC-30-30uF-250V-Polypropylene-Capacitor-027-440

47uF +/- 5% . Ask them for ones that are on the minus side. $14.29 ea.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DMPC-47-47uF-250V-Polypropylene-Capacitor-027-448

If these are too big to fit I'd get a piece of 1/4" Birch Ply and do point to point wiring.

Total cost $27 per speaker. You said you're original owner and you like the sound. It's a hobby.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Gardenstater
    edited June 2021
    Options
    So this is what you have to work with? Yeah you need to do point to point with a new board.

hyznxgup292n.jpg
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Poly caps are going to be much larger than the electrolytic caps used from factory. So if space is a large consideration then stick with the electrolytic caps. IF this is just a cheap fix with no intention for better sound along the way then by all means visit the Erse website.
    As for "worth" I took 800.00 speakers and put 1000.00 worth of new poly caps, non-inductive resistors and new better closer matched inductors plus new wire and couldn't be happier.

please do not sell the speakers short they may just surprise the heck out of you with much better caps.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    A 3" x 3-1/4" capacitor extension 1/8" birch plywood or blank perf board mounted on standoffs to the original can house the two large Dayton's and the small 4.0uf can probably fit onto the board in vertical mode. You can replace those two ceramic resistors with non inductive wirewound ones without spending too much more.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • MikeUp
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you help.
    0rgpp9vfl09w.jpg