🎥 Amazon Buys MGM Film Studio 🎥

Kex
Kex Posts: 4,892
“This jumpstarts them by 50 years,” said Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Securities. “That’s really what it comes down to. They weren’t going to be able to produce enough content to ever get close to Netflix.”
Pachter said that Amazon’s studios produce a few hundred hours worth of television shows and movies a year. MGM adds a back catalog of 25,000 hours

The $8.45B price tag might be a real bargain, too:
The takeover is Amazon’s biggest acquisition since it agreed to buy Whole Foods in 2017 for $13.7 billion but follows investments of about $11 billion on content for its streaming video and music services last year alone.

Link to Full Story
Alea jacta est!

Comments

• Kex
    Wut?! 😳
    Alea jacta est!
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Yes....one voice....one thought....one view....
    .....one speech......we are....one...

2kg4p9tt8wir.jpg
    Sal Palooza
  • Kex
    You seem to lead a terrifying existence. 😳 🤷‍♂️

nttg1qwndx1c.gif
    Alea jacta est!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    As long as the cost of Amazon Prime doesn't increase I have no issues with this purchase. I watch very little TV or movies now it shouldn't affect me.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    You seem to lead a terrifying existence

Amazon bans books and other forms of media that don't fit there narrative of the world.
  • Kex
    Doubt this will have any impact on the cost of Prime, but I only use it when I’m really desperate because Prime streams in 2.0, whereas TV+ streams in 4K 5.1.
    Alea jacta est!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I don't watch Prime. It is for delivering Amazon purchases.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Kex wrote: »
    Doubt this will have any impact on the cost of Prime, but I only use it when I’m really desperate because Prime streams in 2.0, whereas TV+ streams in 4K 5.1.

Prime absolutely streams in 5.1 and 4k video where applicable, otherwise it's 1080p
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    I only hope the James Bond franchise is safe.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    kevhed72 wrote: »

It wasn't safe before .
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    tonyb wrote: »

It wasn't safe before .
    I have been meaning to search for a Sean Connery Blu Ray set....maybe Roger Moore also.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    invalid wrote: »

Amazon bans books and other forms of media that don't fit there narrative of the world.

Amazon is a private business and they have every right to pick and chose what they sell as you have every right to pick and chose what you read and watch.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Kex
    VR3 wrote: »
    Prime absolutely streams in 5.1 and 4k video where applicable, otherwise it's 1080p
    Could be something in settings, but I have my AVR set up to not process the signal (other than the crossover frequency). When the signal comes from TV+ the front display shows “Direct” and all speakers & sub are working. This is true for streaming shows as part of the subscription, and for movie purchases (library). When I last used Prime Video (as a monthly subscription, not a movie purchase), the front display was showing “Stereo” when streaming video. This was also true with YouTubeTV. 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex

The Bond Franchise was probably one of the big reasons to buy MGM.
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Kex wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »
    Could be something in settings, but I have my AVR set up to not process the signal (other than the crossover frequency). When the signal comes from TV+ the front display shows “Direct” and all speakers & sub are working. This is true for streaming shows as part of the subscription, and for movie purchases (library). When I last used Prime Video (as a monthly subscription, not a movie purchase), the front display was showing “Stereo” when streaming video. This was also true with YouTubeTV. 🤷‍♂️

Sounds like you need to get rid of that cheap boat anchor of a receiver...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • invalid

Amazon is a private business and they have every right to pick and chose what they sell as you have every right to pick and chose what you read and watch.

Amazon has pretty much a monopoly on book sales that's why they shouldn't be allowed to ban books
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited May 2021
    BlueFox wrote: »
    As long as the cost of Amazon Prime doesn't increase I have no issues with this purchase. I watch very little TV or movies now it shouldn't affect me.
    So closed minded to reality...

Amazon has pretty much a monopoly on book sales that's why they shouldn't be allowed to ban books

Not too mention, in the beginning they sold some very underground books like " the anarchist cookbook" and other books of similar backgrounds.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Well that certainly sounds swell but as quite often occurs, I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
    Amazon acts as a pseudo- agent of the government.
    "Our" government subsidized Amazon's "Free 2 day shipping !" to the tune of IIRC $7.50 per package.
    Why would "our" government do that ?
    It's the weekend so take some time to figure that out.

Hint:. Same reason that "our" government supports and promotes, to the exclusion of other platforms, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
    And why "our" government has their operatives in the newsrooms of NY Times, Washington Post, CNN, MSNBC, et al.

Can't say much more than that without it sounding "Forbidden Word" , but I have it on good authority that Helen Keller has been able to discern what's happening and she's deaf, dumb, and blind.
    ......did I mention "dead" ? Well that too 😳

I would give you 5 gold stars for that post, if we had gold stars to hand out. Will you be satisfied with 3 beef sandwich emoji's, a can of spam, and a picture of Russ ? Bravo my good man.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    The USPS doesn't subsidize free 2 day shipping....Amazon for the most part has their own delivery network in place. They do an excellent job at running over mailboxes and almost running over small children playing in the street.
  • Kex
    Amazon dominates in some areas of business because it offers services that people want at a competitive rate. There are alternatives for just about every single business Amazon is involved in, including media content.

The subsidy argument might come from cases where UPS hands over the package to USPS for the most expensive “last mile” segment. 🤷‍♂️

USPS should charge more for mail. 58¢ for first class is probably the cheapest service in any top twenty nation in GDP. It should probably be $1 by that standard. On top of that, in those top twenty nations, the postal service is not responsible for pensions or healthcare benefits. Those are covered by payroll taxes.
    Alea jacta est!
  • invalid
    Amazon dominates in some areas of business because it offers services that people want at a competitive rate. There are alternatives for just about every single business Amazon is involved in, including media content.

Amazon has 75% of all physical book sales and 65% of e-book sales. I would say that is a monopoly, especially if you are an author who's book Amazon banned.
  • Kex
    That does not qualify as even remotely close to a monopoly as defined in U.S. antitrust law, or antitrust law pretty much anywhere for that matter. The dominance is explained by people preferring the service, not because they don’t have options.

Otherwise, Google Chrome would be considered a monopoly. There too, people have very good options. They simply choose not to use them.
    Alea jacta est!
  • motorhead43026

Amazon has 75% of all physical book sales and 65% of e-book sales. I would say that is a monopoly, especially if you are an author who's book Amazon banned.

If we can’t buy it on Amazon there are plenty other vendors to buy it from.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/amazon-alternatives-buying-books/
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    tonyb wrote: »

Well that certainly sounds swell but as quite often occurs, I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
    Amazon acts as a pseudo- agent of the government.
    "Our" government subsidized Amazon's "Free 2 day shipping !" to the tune of IIRC $7.50 per package.
    Why would "our" government do that ?
    It's the weekend so take some time to figure that out.

Hint:. Same reason that "our" government supports and promotes, to the exclusion of other platforms, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
    And why "our" government has their operatives in the newsrooms of NY Times, Washington Post, CNN, MSNBC, et al.

Can't say much more than that without it sounding "Forbidden Word" , but I have it on good authority that Helen Keller has been able to discern what's happening and she's deaf, dumb, and blind.
    ......did I mention "dead" ? Well that too 😳

I would give you 5 gold stars for that post, if we had gold stars to hand out. Will you be satisfied with 3 beef sandwich emoji's, a can of spam, and a picture of Russ ? Bravo my good man.

I've got it covered.
    🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    Standard oil had a smaller market share in oil than Amazon has in book sales and they were broken up into 34 companies.
  • motorhead43026
    Books vs Oil, really?

• invalid
    So as long as it's just books it really doesn't matter that they control most of the market.